Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hi, I'm new and have questions about my Gerber Shard.

Offline Sockpuppet

Hi, I'm new and have questions about my Gerber Shard.
on: December 15, 2012, 12:51:28 AM
I got my Gerber Shard at a Christmas office party raffle.  It is pretty cool looking but I thought it couldn't really pry anything could it?  When I googled it, I found this site.  I'm just curious how you guys use the Shard.  The bottle opener is ok.  The screwdrivers work fine on retaining screws for computer cases and such but I'm not shure I could put a screw in wood with it.

I have a Lowes multitool which is pretty good too.

You guys seem  pretty serious with your tools so what's the consensus is on the Gerber Shard? :)

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Re: Hi, I'm new and have questions about my Gerber Shard.
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:13:03 AM
I got my Gerber Shard at a Christmas office party raffle.  It is pretty cool looking but I thought it couldn't really pry anything could it?  When I googled it, I found this site.  I'm just curious how you guys use the Shard.  The bottle opener is ok.  The screwdrivers work fine on retaining screws for computer cases and such but I'm not shure I could put a screw in wood with it.

I have a Lowes multitool which is pretty good too.

You guys seem  pretty serious with your tools so what's the consensus is on the Gerber Shard? :)

The best part about thi splace is that we try stuff, then post our successes and failures.

The shard is a decent tool.  Of course you don't want it to be the only thing you have available but it can be a nice compliment to your other available options.

How about you use the hell out of it then post pictures here and you tell us what YOU think about it.

welcome to the forum.
:)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 02:19:00 AM
Some like it, some don't.  I love it and think it's a great tool.  In fact, here's a piece of history for you- Gerber had originally planned to produce them in very small numbers to give away at shows, but a few of us here managed to get them under bizarre circumstances.  After we enjoyed them so much we expressed our interest to Gerber who decided to make them a regular production tool.

Because of that I've always taken a bit of (unofficial) ownership of the Shard, and we even had some produced with the Multitool.org logo on them.  You can see the video here:

It might not be the finest tool out there but I have to say that for the price you'd be hard pressed to find a better one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:59:06 AM
That's a great video Grant!

Yea, I have 2 MT.O Shards.  I wouldn't put them in the class of one piece tools with say PocketWrench II or an Atwood, but they're a good back up tool (if you need a Phillips or standard screwdriver, for example).

I'd ask what kinds of functions do you think you'll need on a regular basis?  That should give you an idea of what tools might complement the Shard.

Oh, and welcome. :)

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:06:29 AM
Think of these tiny prybars as metal fingernails, anything you might want to use your fingernails for but not strong enough, you can use these, just use your imagination.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 08:55:09 PM
Welcome Mr Puppet :D

I like my one piece tools shiny, so was never really attracted to the Shard. I do think it has a lot of function for the size/cost though.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Sockpuppet

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:39:40 PM
What one piece tools do most of you use?  I googled Atwood and PocketWrench.  Are these Atwoods the cadillac tools?  The one place in Arizona didn't have many in stock, but man were they expensive. 

The pocketwrench is listed on Amazon for a more reasonable amount (like 10 times less!)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 10:04:26 PM
Welcome to the forum. :2tu:

I'm not much of a one piece tool guy myself, only own 3, but 2 of them are Pocketwrenches. :tu: not exactly something one would wear on a keychain ;) but it's one heck of a tool. Opening paint cans, bit driver, wrench, rouler, prybar. The teeth on the wrench are a bit aggressive, and can leave marks on the nut. It is good for both both metric and imperial sizes though.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 11:21:35 PM
I bought a few one piece tools, and the only one I kept was a pocketwrench II.  I have to concur with posts above about how nice a tool that is.  Cheap too.  $13.50 at lee valley which is where I got mine.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=61101&cat=1,43456

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 02:49:02 AM
So do you have any other swiss army knives or multitools? :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%