Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

400 Flavors

J-sews · 19 · 4325

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
400 Flavors
on: March 15, 2008, 10:27:34 PM
I'm working on an Encyclopedia page for the Gerber 400-series Multi-Plier. It is very much like the standard 600-series tools, only smaller. Basically a scaled down version, but still having all the great features of the 600 like one-hand-opening pliers, all locking blades, etc.

Currently there is only the basic Compact Sport listed in the Gerber catalog and on their website. But previously there were a surprising number of variations. Here are a few pictures to start with. (Stand by for a bunch more!)  :)

Compact Sport

Multi-Plier 400, black oxide

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: 400 Flavors
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 11:09:57 PM

Low angle shot of the standard Compact Sport

Terminator T3 edition (only difference to the regular black oxide model is that fabulous T3 logo on the handle) ::)

400 Compact Corkscrew model. In addition to simply adding a corkscrew, they changed the handle and put a zig-zag pattern on it so the corkscrew would fit. Kinda neat. :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 11:41:56 PM
Roadie, has GOT to see this thread :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 01:19:40 AM
Oh man, I never knew there were that many variations of the MP400!  This makes me feel even worse for not having one!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 01:31:51 AM

Corkscrew model closed, alongside a standard Compact Sport

Top tool in the picture above was listed on the Gerber site as the Custom Etch model. They removed the lightening slots to make room for laser etched promotional logos and such.

Top one in this picture is the Compact Fisherman. Check out the long needlenose jaws! They aren't the same jaw set as was on the big 600 Fisherman model.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:11:33 AM
:drool: Well i'll be..... never knew about the custom etch model or the fisherman one! Did know about the corkscrew model though. Does the fisherman model have a file or are my eyes deceiving me?

Looks like i've got a bit of buying to do! Thanks Bob!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 11:29:05 AM
Any more to follow Bob?!?  :o

I like that BO 400.  Yet another going on the list.
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 01:31:35 PM
:drool: Well i'll be..... never knew about the custom etch model or the fisherman one! Did know about the corkscrew model though. Does the fisherman model have a file or are my eyes deceiving me?

Looks like i've got a bit of buying to do! Thanks Bob!

The little Fisherman model is the most unique one of the bunch. Not only does it have a file (and a diamond file at that!) it also has a well made awl blade. :)   Also has tweezers, but they aren't much use to me. Can't complain though, as they are thin enough that no other blades had to be removed to make room for them.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 01:54:11 PM
The little Fisherman model is the most unique one of the bunch. Not only does it have a file (and a diamond file at that!) it also has a well made awl blade. :)   Also has tweezers, but they aren't much use to me. Can't complain though, as they are thin enough that no other blades had to be removed to make room for them.

That is a cool selection of tools, how hard are they to come by? Would love to put a diamond file in the MP600 Frankenstein i'm planning. Although that does mean i'll have to find two, one for the mod and one to keep stock.....this is going to get expensive!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 06:36:54 PM
How long does the jaws stick out when closed on the fishing tool?  :o

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 07:45:34 PM
How long does the jaws stick out when closed on the fishing tool?  :o

Bingo! That is the biggest drawback of the Fisherman, in my opinion.  :-\

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 07:46:41 PM
Wow, those stick out a lot.  :o
I'm back!!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 01:21:36 AM

I am just passing thru the Gerber forum,but was'nt the jaws sticking that far out put into the design for Fly Fisherman so they could slide a lure into the pliers then retract the head as an impromptu vice?

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 02:31:25 AM

I am just passing thru the Gerber forum,but was'nt the jaws sticking that far out put into the design for Fly Fisherman so they could slide a lure into the pliers then retract the head as an impromptu vice?

Dtrain

Wow, could that be true? I don't know if that was the intention because my Fisherman didn't come with the original instructions. Although I will say that mine would not work well as a flytying vice, as the jaws do not clamp tightly together with the pliers fully retracted.

Offline SoDak

Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 03:32:20 AM

That is a cool selection of tools, how hard are they to come by? Would love to put a diamond file in the MP600 Frankenstein i'm planning. Although that does mean i'll have to find two, one for the mod and one to keep stock.....this is going to get expensive!

Here you go.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0017799515800a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=36&Ntt=gerber&noImage=0&Ntk=Products&QueryText=gerber&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 10:54:57 PM

Here you go.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0017799515800a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=36&Ntt=gerber&noImage=0&Ntk=Products&QueryText=gerber&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

Wow, great price!  For only $29.88, I may have to get one of these.

Even though I'm not a fisherman, the tool selection on this looks really decent - especially the diamond file and extreme needle nose pliers.

N

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 06:46:57 PM
Bob is there any main stream multitools you dont have ?  :pok:

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 02:45:38 AM
Bob is there any main stream multitools you dont have ?  :pok:

Dunc

Believe it or not I do have a few holes to fill Dunc.  :-\

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 02:47:27 AM

Here you go.

Wow, great price!  For only $29.88, I may have to get one of these.

Even though I'm not a fisherman, the tool selection on this looks really decent - especially the diamond file and extreme needle nose pliers.

Oops, I just learned from another member that the 400 Fisherman tools from Cabelas have a regular cutting file instead of a diamond file.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%