Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Scissors and Saw into Vic 84mm frame. Pic HEAVY.

PTRSAK · 43 · 18120

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Wenger Scissors and Saw into Vic 84mm frame. Pic HEAVY.
Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 04:02:53 PM
Great work!  Yep you can shave off some of the back of the backspring no problem and you wont notice loss of snap.  I use a belt grinder and its pretty quick about removing material.

The 91mm scissors to 84mm works out really well actually, its just more work to get them to fit, but they function well.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline Jake

Reply #31 on: July 28, 2014, 05:22:55 PM
Thanks for the kind words.  I really like the 84mm size and will probably play with some more modding.

I had considered getting some brass liners cut for this project, but in one-off quantities its too expensive. (I didn't want to do it by hand) Similarly, I'd love to get some hard anodized color going on, but stripping and finding and anodizing company scared me off.   Silver is fine for now.  Baby steps.

I hate to file down the back and lose the "factory shape" and polish of the outside of the spring, but I guess that's the "right way" to do it.  I had thought that it might be okay to file down the inside pad-- that there might be a little too much snap on the scissors since the Wenger scissor's "cam" is a little wider than the cam on other 84mm Vic tools.  I appreciate the advise and I'll gather up some courage to start filing the outside.

I think I might reverse the layers next time I take it apart.  The nail nick for the scissors might work better on the outside.  The combo tools sit higher, and are more easily grabbed than the scissors.  Maybe the scissors reset needs to hold the scissors just a touch further out.

Offline Jake

Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 04:22:56 PM
A few pictures of the assembly-- in case it helps someone.  Of main interest can see the custom milled spacers/rests and the 2.25mm custom pivots.  I imagine the spacers/rests could be easily 3D printed at a service if someone wanted to replicate this knife.

Still more work to do on the back spring.

Offline Glofindel

Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 10:47:46 PM
A few pictures of the assembly-- in case it helps someone.  Of main interest can see the custom milled spacers/rests and the 2.25mm custom pivots.  I imagine the spacers/rests could be easily 3D printed at a service if someone wanted to replicate this knife.

(Image removed from quote.)

Still more work to do on the back spring.
That is tremendous. The custom pivots are brilliant. If you have an extra and don't mind to sell them I would like to buy from you.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 11:00:51 PM

Very neat and tidy.  Nice work!

Offline Jake

Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 12:28:00 PM
One last follow up.  I had an extra back spring and decided to try grinding the inside face of the back spring.  By my estimate I needed to remove about 0.5mm to get the spring to sit flush.  I know a bunch of more experienced folks recommend grinding the outside to shape, but that was harder to do right, and I wanted to see how the snap was affected by using this method.

I strapped the back spring in the mill and used an indicator to insure the face in question was parallel with the axis.  I also masked the mill in plastic to keep the abrasives off the ways.  I took 0.001" passes with a dremel grinding attachment.  In the end, I did about 30 passes, closer to 0.75mm, but I stopped and did test fits after every 10 passes.  The grinding wheel itself is consumed, so its not like an end mill where you know exactly how much you're removing.

Snap is still good-- maybe not as firm as before, but it does't feel bad.  I was thinking that I might need to try bending the back spring a little to give it a little more force, but I don't think I need to try that.  If I made another knife, I would do it this way again I think.

In the end, the fit when closed is good... maybe not perfect, but I didn't want to remove any more material.
adjusted_backspring.jpg
* adjusted_backspring.jpg (Filesize: 121.37 KB)
grinding.jpg
* grinding.jpg (Filesize: 175.05 KB)

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #36 on: October 16, 2021, 10:11:06 AM
Been a long time since this topic has been updated but It thought I’d add my recent experience to it.

Like many I have wanted an 84 with scissors but couldn’t really justify the prices you need to fork out for a vintage Vic  even if I could get one here in the UK.

I have also had a red alox 84 that started out as a bantam but that was way to thin for me to like so I added a saw to make a lumberjack…much better.

However, I just couldn’t  leave it there and after reading through this thread on several occasions I decided to sacrifice my evo18 and take the plunge.

Evo18 came apart, lumberjack came apart, and a sportsman came apart. know for the cost of those three I could have probably bought a vintage knife with scissors  but I had these already so no additional outlay required :0)

The goal was essentially an alox evo18 or a huntsman with a file or a farmcadet x - whatever you want to call it.

As has been mentioned it went together remarkably easily. I did have a very broken 2.4mm blade so I made the spacer from that for an exact fit and I did grind down the pad of the spring to get it to fit flush on the scissors layer as described earlier - everything else just works as you would expect.

Although it is really a huntsman or evo 18 with less tools it is way cooler than either in the end I think and remarkably although quite a bit heavier it is only 1.75mm thicker than my economy recruit! 15.3mm vs 13.65mm.

Thanks for the inspiration. I think this is a absolute no brainier if you can put up with the Wenger scissors and have donors around already - not sure I would do it if I didn’t though as the expense would be quite huge!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 01:15:26 PM by Helvetica Bold »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: October 17, 2021, 05:05:42 PM
That is one hell of a good looking knife!  :drool:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #38 on: October 18, 2021, 12:38:16 AM
Thanks Gareth, it’s finally what I think those red scales deserve! For me the 84mm alox suits a few more layers!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #39 on: October 19, 2021, 03:39:25 AM
Nice work. Good to see people still taking on this mod. As you say, it's not cheap if you add up the cost of donors but you do end up with a compact and capable tool.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: October 20, 2021, 03:14:36 AM
My red Cadet with Wenger scissors. No saw in this one.
20211020_110205.jpg
* 20211020_110205.jpg (Filesize: 444.7 KB)
20211020_110231.jpg
* 20211020_110231.jpg (Filesize: 329.98 KB)
20211020_110406.jpg
* 20211020_110406.jpg (Filesize: 331.72 KB)
20211020_110452.jpg
* 20211020_110452.jpg (Filesize: 392.09 KB)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 20, 2021, 03:16:28 AM
Close up pic's
20211020_110638.jpg
* 20211020_110638.jpg (Filesize: 271.04 KB)
20211020_110748.jpg
* 20211020_110748.jpg (Filesize: 284.86 KB)

Offline ComboTool

Reply #42 on: October 20, 2021, 05:56:16 PM
PTRSAK, thank you for coming up with this idea and congratulations on your peening skills, I wish all the pins on my mods looked like this  :hatsoff:

Helvetica Bold, nice work. If I'm not mistaken it seems that you used a liner beside one of the scales, is there a reason for this ?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%