Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

373 days since I bought my first flashlight :D

N_N_R · 11 · 1564

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
373 days since I bought my first flashlight :D
on: December 25, 2012, 07:47:37 PM
It's been 373 days since I received my Fenix E01 - the first more expensive flashlight for the size, the first flashlight that I'd been eagerly expecting, the flashlight that started my interest in flashlights :D Before that I had just a generic $1 - 9 LED - 3AAA clicky at home.

How long has it been since you started your collecting/flashaholism/love for flashlights? :D Which was the flashlight that did that to you?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: 373 days since I bought my first flashlight :D
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 11:02:09 PM
It's been a bit over 3 years for me.  The two lights that thast stand out the most were a ZebraLight H501 headlamp, and a Photon Freedom Micro (covert nose).  The thing I like most about both is the great user interface - I can go straight to the level of light I want without messing around.

These days MTs seem to stir the acquisitive juices more than lights, but I still buy new ones from time to time.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 12:05:14 AM
Totally agree with the H501. Love at first use for me, and never thought once about replacing it :tu:
I had Maglites as a kid, and then higher powered stuff, and eventually customs and titanium later. Slippery slope of shiny goodness :D

As for my general habit, it's a little more under control these days, but I'm not cured yet >:D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 01:39:25 AM
Mag Lights, although not expensive, are the light(s) that I started with over 25 years ago. The only other brand I've ever used has been the LED Lenser. I'm not sure what model it is bit it's silver and has holes around the head.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 01:44:56 AM
It's been a lot of years (maybe twenty or so?) for me, but it was Mags for me as well.

I went through a lot of cheap flashlights as a kid, from the disposable type to a dynamo powered one that you had to keep squeezing to keep it lit up.  I used to use them for reading after I was supposed to be in bed, although the dynamo one was too loud for that.

I can't remember what my first LED light was, but perhaps the first one that really got my attention was the Gerber Infinity Ultra.  Up until that point I figured if LED's were any good Mag would be using them. I'm glad I got over that since it took Mag years to move to LED's!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 02:03:01 AM
I`ve always like flaslights. Mags were way cool in their day. But never really got to excited about flashlights till I got my first Surefire back in 02. It was a Surefire C2. To answer your question it has been 10 years. I still have it also.     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 03:49:24 AM
I didn't go off the deep end until 2006 or so.  Lukily I got distracted by SAKs and the evolution of LEDs proceeds at a reasonable rate with my historical light collection being quite small.  This Christmas I was bad though, could not wait a few more months until all the CREE emitters were update to gen2 versions (mainly XP-G2 and XM-L2) so I got a a few different ones.  I'm pretty good for a while now though, just a couple of new Zebralights I'm waiting for like everyone else on the planet.  Maybe a couple of Surefires as well since they have been completely revamping their entire line up.  Still I was bad because I bought them knowing they were not really candidates to replace my EDC light, but just toys to play with for a while.

I like the HA C2 very much with a good drop-in.  Zebralights are also fantastic, and improving. The build on the SC52 is quit nice, some small changes should make this a more robust light with fewer QC issues.  I picked up 2 new Zebras and am waiting for a couple more to be released.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 11:11:22 AM
Despite what my wife says I still don't think of myself as a total light nut, but I will admit I have more that the average bloke. :whistle:

For me it started with a AAA Minimaglite about 15 years ago.  As for quality LED's it was a Nuwai QIII that I picked up about 5 years ago I guess. :think:

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_q-3.htm

Good little light at the time. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 12:22:58 PM
I think I bought my first mini Mag some 12 years ago but lost it a month or so later. :facepalm: A few years later I got a Solitaire which I carried for years. It was my first real EDC light but I often found it to week and unreliable (it needed a whack every now and then to work properly). Then I discovered LED flashlights about 3 years ago. I got a Fenix E01 and a Tank007 703 in the same week. I bought a few since then. :whistle:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 01:13:00 PM
The first Maglites I ever bought were a month ago and they were bought as presents for people, not for me, from amazon uk (I have acquired a 2AAA one some time ago but it was broken).

I did take the opportunity to play with the 2D LED one and it is a pretty decent piece of kit, bright enough and solid (134 lumens is good for most uses, though the 3D has similar price and output and lasts 10 times longer… but the 2D one is quite big so the 3D one may look silly).
Their price is the main problem as a standard (Xenon?) 2D one costs about 50 euro here, so they are seen as expensive gadgets.

I may buy a 6D LED one, when they make it…  :D  if the price stays low on amazon uk.

My older, decent, torches were mainly spotlights and the 4D lanterns everybody had that cost peanuts but were quite bright …And several other cheaper ones, including a 3D (I do not recall the make) underwater one….
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline David

Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 10:13:30 PM
Despite what my wife says I still don't think of myself as a total light nut, but I will admit I have more that the average bloke. :whistle:

For me it started with a AAA Minimaglite about 15 years ago.  As for quality LED's it was a Nuwai QIII that I picked up about 5 years ago I guess. :think:

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_q-3.htm

Good little light at the time. :)

That's kinda where I'm at also.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD