Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger vs. Victorinox

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Wenger vs. Victorinox
on: December 28, 2012, 04:13:11 PM
Hey fellow MT.O members,

I don't have any Wenger products, and know little about them, but I've seen some when I've been looking into Victorinox SAKs.  They seem similar to each other, but there do seem to be some differences.  I'm just curious as to what the general consensus is in terms of Wenger quality in comparison to Victorinox, and which company's SAKs are preferred by members here.  Thanks for any feedback :)
K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Wenger vs. Victorinox
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:29:48 PM
I personally prefer the blade and implements of Victorinox over Wenger's.  I especially prefer Vic scissors over Wengers.  The only way to find out though is to buy some of both and see what suits your liking.  You may find you lean towards one, the other, or both.

I hope this was helpful  :tu:
SAW

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 04:38:59 PM
Wenger's QC seems to have been a little inconsistent in past years which has probably helped cause Vic to be the more popular brand. However, many of their knives, especially more recent lines have been very good indeed; certainly on par with Vic.

You get different tools, and tool sets, so they do have a lot to offer. I've only had a few myself but mostly rate them as top quality tools :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 04:48:10 PM
Thanks for the helpful input so far.  Unfortunately I have to keep myself under control with buying these for the time being as I already have a few Leathermans and Victorinox SAKs, and my wife isn't crazy about me spending a bunch of money on them anymore :(  She occasionally will comment on wondering just how much money I've spent on these things, and it's a considerable amount for us ;)

I'm finding that SAKs are addictive (as you all know I'm sure) and I am always wanting more.  However, we have a baby on the way and our "frivolous" spending has to be limited for the time being.  I am hopeful to be able to convince her to let me spring for at least one more SAK though, but then I will probably be done buying more for the next several months or longer :(
K-Tibbs

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 04:55:26 PM
Note that Wenger is now owned by Victorinox, though it is still independent enough.

The Wenger cigar Cutter SAK is a lot better than the Victorinox cigar Punch SAK.. I hope that helps.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:47:37 PM
Note that Wenger is now owned by Victorinox, though it is still independent enough.

The Wenger cigar Cutter SAK is a lot better than the Victorinox cigar Punch SAK.. I hope that helps.

Oh yeah that's right!  I had read that a while ago, but had forgotten.  Maybe Victorinox will utilize any advantages Wenger may have had in their products and incorporate them into their own new hybrids :D :think:

Oh and I do like cigars, although I also quit smoking about 10 months ago, so I try to stay away from them now.  Don't want to be smoking with a new baby due to be around in a couple months :)
K-Tibbs

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 05:51:09 PM
Babies love to look at smoke! It looks like magic to them..   :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 05:57:04 PM
For the big size SAKs, wenger is a clear winner to me.  The new rangers beat the pants off the Vic trekkers.  Bigger tools, better lock, better quality (IMO).  If you havent tried one and want to try a wenger, pick one up and you wont be sorry, I love those things.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 06:28:15 PM
Oh I never even considered the larger lockblade versions :think:  I see that there are several when I look on Amazon.  Which Ranger model do you recommend?   
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 06:33:11 PM
Babies love to look at smoke! It looks like magic to them..   :D

Oh I'm sure they do (I love cigar smoke and how it looks), but unfortunately our lungs don't appreciate that magic ;)
K-Tibbs

Offline space cowboy

Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 06:46:00 PM
Wenger Esquire is aces with me. Most Wengers cost more than Vic so, I am no fanboy of Wengers.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 06:48:12 PM
For the big size SAKs, wenger is a clear winner to me.  The new rangers beat the pants off the Vic trekkers.  Bigger tools, better lock, better quality (IMO).  If you havent tried one and want to try a wenger, pick one up and you wont be sorry, I love those things.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Also, how long are the Wenger Rangers?
K-Tibbs

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 06:55:38 PM
The S557 is a fantastic 85mm knife.  One of my favorites. :)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 07:17:43 PM
The S557 is a fantastic 85mm knife.  One of my favorites. :)

I have to say, I'd grab one of those if a cheap one came up :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Wenger vs. Victorinox
Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 07:41:11 PM
Rangers are 130mm, older types 120mm. The Victorinox ones are 111mm (older 108mm).
I was impressed with the Wenger specific tools and I bought a Toolchest Plus to try them. The locking main blade is a plus, the inclusion of a nail file also. The locking drivers are good but the Victorinox counterparts have the option to work at a 90 degrees angle, which is better. The Wenger pliers has a large opening and a better spring but I was accustomed to the Vic pliers. The Wenger scissors have the better spring also but they don't open that much and I didn't like the serrated edge. The wrench seems nice but I never used it, the pliers can do the same job. The metal file was harder but now Victorinox has a similar one. The Vic's fish scaler is better, although I used the line thread a couple of times. The wood saws are similar. The Vic's magnifier is better. The Wenger's can opener doubles as a curving tool but Vic's has a 3mm screwdriver (Wenger has it on the mag lens though). The Vic's awl is far better, with sewing eye and sharp edge and tip. The Vic's scale tools are more and better and the same goes for the back tools (I love that hook). I didn't like the little chain keyring of Wenger, rattling all the time.Victorinox has translucent and other scales options. The compass was a joke.
The Vics seem to be luxury items (polished and svelte) and the Wenger outdoors oriented. I would choose any day a 58mm or 91-93mm Victorinox but for the great outdoors a 130mm Wenger seems more able than any 111 Victorinox. With the exception of the Rescue tool, Wenger offers much more at this format.
But you might have different liking. That Evo S557 has almost all the Wenger specific tools to try. And a Ranger might complement your EDC delicate Victorinox when far from the city.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 09:16:47 PM
Thanks all for the very helpful and informative feedback.  I was thinking about getting a Vic Explorer, and don't want to go any larger than that (4 layers I believe).  Does Wenger have anything comparable to the Explorer? 
K-Tibbs

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 10:18:36 PM
In the past Wenger has had some quality control issues, particularly with back springs. Now days they're very good, though Victorinox may have a slight edge in that category. On the other hand Wenger is more innovative and offers a wider variety of tools. I like the Wenger scissors, and prefer the Wenger can opener, which is similar to the one I grew up with on my old Imperial Boy Scout knife. Different tastes.

My EDC is a Wenger Traveler. The 85mm length rides better in my pocket than the 91mm Vics, and the 84mm Vics don't currently have a scissors. On the other hand a Vic Huntsman is my usual carry knife when I'm hiking, and there's an old Champion sitting in the desk drawer as I type.

Wenger's Deluxe Backpacker is probably as close as you'll get to the Explorer. Do some browsing on SAKwiki and see what catches your eye..

Check with Felinevet. He generally has a good select of used knives from both companies at very reasonable prices. Pick up a couple that look interesting and play around with them to see what you prefer.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:45:05 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 12:17:14 AM
To be honest they are both great and addicting, I started reading this forum and bought one now i am up to 27 sak and 13 multi tools. It is a great way to start the morning off trying to figure out what i am going to edc that day. Be careful sounds like you have the sak bug !
CHEERS

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 05:13:42 AM
To be honest they are both great and addicting, I started reading this forum and bought one now i am up to 27 sak and 13 multi tools. It is a great way to start the morning off trying to figure out what i am going to edc that day. Be careful sounds like you have the sak bug !

Yeah you've got me beat there, bud :o  Yes, it is a great way to start the day, but sometimes I take too much time trying to decide :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 05:22:05 AM
Be careful sounds like you have the sak bug !

I'm afraid of that myself :ahhh
K-Tibbs

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 05:27:53 AM
CHEERS

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 05:38:17 AM
Wenger's Deluxe Backpacker is probably as close as you'll get to the Explorer. Do some browsing on SAKwiki and see what catches your eye..

Check with Felinevet. He generally has a good select of used knives from both companies at very reasonable prices. Pick up a couple that look interesting and play around with them to see what you prefer.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I do like the looks of the Backpacker, although I prefer scissors over a saw on a SAK.  I usually pair a SAK with a full size multitool (usually either the Charge AL or TTi, Rebar or Swisstool Spirit) and would rely on that for a saw.  I will have to try a couple like you said.  The best way for one to learn which brand one likes is to have some in hand to experience :)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 05:45:33 AM

Here's is a Wenger
http://www.swissmade.com/en/web/index.php?id=3529
[/quote]

That's a nice one too.  It has basically everything I like to have in a SAK, with the exception of the saw.  Is there a version like that minus the saw?  Part of what draws me to the Explorer is the magnifying glass and all the useful implements without having too many layers.  I'm thinking 4 layers is my absolute limit.
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 02:36:31 PM
Well I ended up ordering a black Explorer and should have it in a few days.  I am excited (as I always am when I have one of these on the way) and can't wait to have it in my hands to tinker with :D  The magnifying glass is the main factor in my decision, as well as the phillips screwdriver placement.  It's also the smallest SAK with a magnifying glass, to my knowledge anyway. 

I also like the looks of the Wenger Evogrip 16, and will probably try that out whenever I am able to purchase another SAK.  Thanks for all the helpful feedback!
K-Tibbs

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 10:04:03 PM
Hey fellow MT.O members,

I don't have any Wenger products, and know little about them, but I've seen some when I've been looking into Victorinox SAKs.  They seem similar to each other, but there do seem to be some differences.  I'm just curious as to what the general consensus is in terms of Wenger quality in comparison to Victorinox, and which company's SAKs are preferred by members here.  Thanks for any feedback :)

Did we fix that yet?  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 10:28:11 PM
Wow there's a blast from the past....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 10:28:31 PM
Is it sad that I don't remember this?

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 10:29:03 PM
I had only been a member for 10 days at this point.

K-Tibbs

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 10:56:37 PM
I had only been a member for 10 days at this point.

:assimilate:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 11:05:09 PM
Is it sad that I don't remember this?

With as much as you have posted since then I doubt there is a lot you probably don't remember :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%