Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger vs. Victorinox

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Wenger vs. Victorinox
Reply #30 on: June 18, 2016, 01:15:13 AM
Is it sad that I don't remember this?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

With as much as you have posted since then I doubt there is a lot you probably don't remember :D
Indeed ;)

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

ch Offline Aerocap

Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 02:06:41 PM
Hi, I stopped when I saw the title of this topic. I served my military service with the official ordonnance knife, an Alox Soldier, let's say the "service knife", and used it, and sometimes abused, during the military year (fragmented). It was a Wenger and they were mixed among us randomly between the Victorinox and Wenger, and I can testify there was no quality difference at all. I know each brand have distinct features in their commercial ranges, and I tend myself to be more appealed by Victorinox, but with that specific knife they had both to comply with the requests of the model retained by the state and part with their own emblems, and for the same model, they was as much sturdy each other. Excuse my so bad English..
C'est en faisant qu'on apprend

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 05:40:54 PM
Hi, I stopped when I saw the title of this topic. I served my military service with the official ordonnance knife, an Alox Soldier, let's say the "service knife", and used it, and sometimes abused, during the military year (fragmented). It was a Wenger and they were mixed among us randomly between the Victorinox and Wenger, and I can testify there was no quality difference at all. I know each brand have distinct features in their commercial ranges, and I tend myself to be more appealed by Victorinox, but with that specific knife they had both to comply with the requests of the model retained by the state and part with their own emblems, and for the same model, they was as much sturdy each other. Excuse my so bad English..

Your first hand experience is most welcome Aerocap!!!!!  If I haven't already done so, welcome to the forum!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 05:51:34 PM

Your first hand experience is most welcome Aerocap!!!!!  If I haven't already done so, welcome to the forum!!!

+1 welcome aboard  :cheers:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 08:06:50 PM
Another aboriginal of the land blocked from the sea! A warm welcome frere des couteaux Suisses!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 01:49:43 PM
+2!! :cheers:

Barry

ch Offline Aerocap

Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 01:50:10 AM
Thank you all, your welcome words are very nice!
C'est en faisant qu'on apprend

us Offline Diver

Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 02:08:59 AM

Your English is better than most.  :-)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 02:37:21 AM
+1 on that Diver!!
Barry

us Offline manfred

Reply #39 on: August 13, 2016, 11:57:53 PM
I saw a Wenger at a Gun Show in Round Rock Texas, it had Victorinox on the blade tang, is that normal?

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: August 14, 2016, 12:19:29 AM
I saw a Wenger at a Gun Show in Round Rock Texas, it had Victorinox on the blade tang, is that normal?

Sure, if it was a Vic Delemont. They are Vic's line that combines both Vic and Wenger styles.....  Vic launched them after they bought and closed Wenger...Vic hired everyone....no one lost their job.

A Delemont thread:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67786.0.html
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #41 on: August 14, 2016, 03:53:06 AM
And that says a lot for Vic, to buy out their closest competitor, retain not only their people and facility, but also most of their designs. :tu: :tu:
Barry

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #42 on: August 14, 2016, 11:25:04 PM
RANGERGRIP 58 HUNTER
Ranger.jpg
* Ranger.jpg (Filesize: 47.41 KB)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:27:26 AM by Obi1shinobee »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: August 15, 2016, 01:02:51 AM
Nice!!!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #44 on: August 15, 2016, 11:30:42 AM
Nice catch!

I prefer Wengers myself, to be honest, and I like their implements better as well as their aesthetics/looks.

My favorite SAK, is, in fact, a Wenger model:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #45 on: August 15, 2016, 03:24:13 PM
That's a great picture Peacent!  I really like Wenger too...I wish I had caught onto them while they were still making knives!
Barry

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #46 on: August 15, 2016, 03:31:57 PM
That's a great picture Peacent!  I really like Wenger too...I wish I had caught onto them while they were still making knives!

Same thing...
I got about twenty Vic before getting my first Wenger, sadly then I realised I preferred those  :facepalm:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #47 on: August 15, 2016, 04:40:13 PM
I prefered Victorinox but liked some Wenger tools. For example their can opener, which can be used for engraving. Thankfully I have anoriginal Wenger Hunter 57, since Victorinox replaced the can opener with theirs on Delemont collection.
I like their small file also, the lockable blade and wider blade, their carabiner amd a few of the special tools they used on some knives. And most tools and handles on 120-130mm, where only the Vic awl works generally better.
Overall, up to 93mm I prefer Victorinox and from there up Wenger.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #48 on: August 18, 2016, 11:34:32 PM
Me too my friend....unfortunately too late to go buy them off the store shelves.  I'm glad I finally did discover them though!

Same thing...
I got about twenty Vic before getting my first Wenger, sadly then I realised I preferred those  :facepalm:
Barry

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: August 19, 2016, 08:02:14 AM
Me too my friend....unfortunately too late to go buy them off the store shelves.  I'm glad I finally did discover them though!
I can still find some in small villages hardware stores (either at old price or with a +10€)
Only have two though, I didn't like the weaker spring on the first owned   :cry:
-and I prefer Alox- (if I forget the 6 last I bought weren't Alox)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #50 on: August 19, 2016, 12:26:24 PM
I have only come across a couple Esquires still on the shelves in recent years.  I have to say I like the post 05 models for the stiffer backsprings (at least they seem that way to me).  I really like the 85mm size for how nicely they carry, and it seems like a 4 layer Wenger is the same thickness as a 3 layer Vic, so they fit better in my pocket.
Barry

au Offline lshaw

Reply #51 on: August 19, 2016, 01:47:03 PM
It's interesting this topic. I've had plenty of both W and V over time. I have found the steel to no different in daily use, worth saying that from the outset. I have found that Victorinox is more practical in their design, Wenger seem(ed) more aspirational but it didn't translate into usability. The serrated scissors are generally terrible. They absolutely mangle fingernails and are no superior for any other end use. Braided fishing line is the ultimate test and they don't excel at this task compared to Vic so in my view they are a massive disadvantage. My first wenger was a small, pocket tool chest (brand new) on which the tools didn't close properly, it was replaced but the back springs seemed lackluster compared to Vic counterparts.

The "multigrip" pliers are again a great concept but are a dismal failure in use. The match up of the plier heads is not great and detracts from the precision of what is supposed to be a precision implement.

The file/nail cleaner tool in the place of the small Vic pen blade doesn't do much for me (opinion only) given that most Vics compensate with an alternative file of some kind and retain the little blade.

Interestingly, the Wenger scales seem to be better in situ than Vic in many cases. They seem to be retained better and less prone to bowing and displacement.
My two bobs anyway.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: August 19, 2016, 02:21:09 PM
I have only come across a couple Esquires still on the shelves in recent years.  I have to say I like the post 05 models for the stiffer backsprings (at least they seem that way to me).  I really like the 85mm size for how nicely they carry, and it seems like a 4 layer Wenger is the same thickness as a 3 layer Vic, so they fit better in my pocket.

Love them both but at least for me, the Vic Delemonts, in a lot of ways are perfect EDC's. They have the 85mm size but with the Vic T&T and better (IMO) can opener yet retain cool features like the locking screwdriver and ergonomic feel/style of their progenitors. The same commentary applies to the Delemont Ranger line....it too is very well done (again, IMO).
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

de Offline Pi-Pa

Reply #53 on: August 22, 2016, 08:53:47 PM
Victorinox EvoWood 17 vs. Wenger EvoWood 17

There are some more changes in this knives except the canopener, since Wengers are Vics.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 22, 2016, 09:31:31 PM

Victorinox EvoWood 17 vs. Wenger EvoWood 17

There are some more changes in this knives except the canopener, since Wengers are Vics.

(Image removed from quote.)

Great post!  Very nice side by side, thanks! :salute:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: August 22, 2016, 11:13:53 PM
Awesome Pi-pa!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #56 on: August 23, 2016, 01:21:47 AM
I keep meaning to grab a Delemont, Robert, but I get ambushed by a Wenger everytime!  One of these days I'm going to find out first hand my friend!! :D
Barry

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: August 23, 2016, 02:13:26 AM
I keep meaning to grab a Delemont, Robert, but I get ambushed by a Wenger everytime!  One of these days I'm going to find out first hand my friend!! :D

You won't be sorry!!!!!   :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85