Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening suggestions for a complete rookie.

Benner · 159 · 13652

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Sharpening suggestions for a complete rookie.
Reply #150 on: February 09, 2010, 02:43:42 PM
That looks really good Andrea.  Shame about the scratch, but it's no big deal on a working knife IMO. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #151 on: June 07, 2014, 11:52:54 PM
First off, I know this is an old thread, but it seems to be the most comprehensive here, on sharpening...
For some time, I've been interested in learning freehand sharpening on stones, and I saw that Benner had purchased a Fallkniven DC4 whetstone. Do you think this would be a good "starter-stone" for a guy that's never done freehand sharpening or is there a better alterntive?

It is only gonna be used for small-ish blades - my longest blade is 8 cm long at most of them is below 6 cm. Since I've never tried using stones before, I'd prefer if it's as cheap as possible, without being useless and disintegrating the first time I use it. I can always go for something better, once I've gotten the hang of it.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #152 on: June 08, 2014, 03:33:13 AM
I got by with just one of these for years.

Lansky dog bone

http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-LTRIM-Multi-Sharpener/dp/B000B8FW04/ref=pd_sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SGFE9BKBB1PNR93S8HD

it will sharpen just about everything plane,serrated, hooks and darts ect

less than 10 bucks shipped
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #153 on: June 08, 2014, 03:41:53 AM

Lansky dog bone

http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-LTRIM-Multi-Sharpener/dp/B000B8FW04/ref=pd_sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SGFE9BKBB1PNR93S8HD

I keep one of those in my pocket while I'm at work.  Works very well.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #154 on: June 08, 2014, 01:14:19 PM

Lansky dog bone

I always figured that this type of sharpener required you to be fairly good at sharpening freehand on a stone, to begin with. I can see it's basically the same movement, but it looks somewhat more difficult to keep a consistent angle on this, than on a stone...

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #155 on: June 08, 2014, 03:18:16 PM
The sharpening systems can't be beat for consistency for re profiling an edge, unless by some freehand artists with years of experience. (see how handmade samurai swords have the edge put on and how they are polished) But everyone can touch up an edge freehand on a stone with a little practice. It's the way it has always been done.
Sometime last year I visited an old castle ruin. One of the ornaments in the garden was a solid stone bowl. When I was looking at it I noticed one side was very smooth, and I realized it must have been used as a sharpening stone for centuries.
I whipped out my knife, and gave it a few strokes. Worked like a charm.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #156 on: June 08, 2014, 10:08:18 PM
First off, I know this is an old thread, but it seems to be the most comprehensive here, on sharpening...
For some time, I've been interested in learning freehand sharpening on stones, and I saw that Benner had purchased a Fallkniven DC4 whetstone. Do you think this would be a good "starter-stone" for a guy that's never done freehand sharpening or is there a better alterntive?

It is only gonna be used for small-ish blades - my longest blade is 8 cm long at most of them is below 6 cm. Since I've never tried using stones before, I'd prefer if it's as cheap as possible, without being useless and disintegrating the first time I use it. I can always go for something better, once I've gotten the hang of it.

The DC4 is a very good 'stone', but IMO it's too small to learn on.  A good choice I'd say is something like a India IB-8 combination stone, I've used this style of stone for years and combining it with a home made strop I've always managed to keep my knives in good order. 

For example: http://www.axminster.co.uk/india-ib8-combination-bench-stone
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #157 on: June 08, 2014, 10:55:29 PM

Lansky dog bone

I always figured that this type of sharpener required you to be fairly good at sharpening freehand on a stone, to begin with. I can see it's basically the same movement, but it looks somewhat more difficult to keep a consistent angle on this,
 on a stone...

it might take a few try for the novice to get good with it but I think its easy enough to use.

Defend the Hive!!!

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #158 on: June 09, 2014, 01:20:14 AM
I've had pretty good results with a Smith's 4" stone from Lowe's.  If you're worried about damaging your knives, just go get one of those $.99 Wal Mart knives to practice on.  I might just get one of those knives specifically for sharpening, I find free hand sharpening has an almost meditative quality.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85