Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mora Bushcraft Black

glorn · 28 · 4581

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Mora Bushcraft Black
on: January 05, 2013, 09:40:50 AM
Just wanted to pop in and offer some thoughts on my latest fixed blade. I reckon a few of you may have been looking for reviews and/or info on this knife, and in addition to that, it is just terrific and deserves some praise.

I recently picked up one of the newer Moras on the block, the Bushcraft Black. I do not have pics of my own just yet, but if you are unfamiliar, there are a few online obviously. To describe it is easy.. Imagine a Clipper on steroids dressed up like a ninja.

Compared to my other Moras, this thing is a bit of a brute in the most perfect way imaginable. Like all the newer Mora Heavy Duty knives, it has a longer blade and handle, is nearly full tang, and has a 3.2 mm thick blade. Unlike all the others, it has a wonderful black coating on the carbon steel.. Like a deep black bluing (which may simply be what it is.. Bluing).

The spine is also different from my other Moras in that it has been finished with sharp hard angles on the edge so that it is out of the box useable for striking a firesteel.

The balance feels terrific on this Mora.. Just a bit more forward than a Clipper or Companion, but the longer tang seems to create harmony front to back. The longer handle suits me better than any knife I've held, though I suspect those with smaller hands will find it too roomy. I must say that at first the additonal weight of this knife feels strange when you are looking at a Mora in your hand, but this disappears quickly and is replaced with the thought that a beefier Mora somehow makes perfect sense and perhaps they all should feel this way. To then hold a more typical Mora feels odd, and the Bushcraft Black feels right. I do not believe one would lose much dexterity here compared to the lighter more traditional models. This blade is still all Mora, no doubt about it. A Mora on steroids is still a rather svelte affair compared to many other fixed blades meant for woodsmans work. It is by no means a big clumsy oaf.

It is more than apparent from the name alone that this rather thuggish branch of the Mora family tree is aimed squarely at the bushcraft and tacticool trends. I must admit myself that the idea of Mora's answer to the "chopper" trend made my gears turn.. this is not a chopper though, just a tougher Mora, and that is why it is so perfect. You can baton with it without worry, and still perform finer tasks that would be horrible work with one of those compensating for something NutNFancy mini machetes. Wanna cut stuff down besides saplings? Carry a saw or hatchet.

The dressed up in black portion of it all just means less potential carbon steel corrosion, so I can get behind that. I like BO multis anyway, so why not? There certainly is something to be said for an all black beast of a Mora if you are a Mora fan... and I suspect it will help sell Moras to those who normally buy Kabars and such.

(it does have two small specks of OD green on the handle at each end.. Otherwise 'tis all murdered out)

If you love Moras, you need one of these asap. I think you will love it as I do.

If you do not own a Mora at all, and normally slobber over bushcraft blades that are far more knife than anyone reasonably needs, you should buy one and a Companion and you will then know the meaning of "If you can't do it with a Mora, you need better skills, not a bigger knife."

If you have been slobbering over "bushcraft" blades like Fallknivens but can't afford one.. now you don't need to. This is all the knife you should ever want, and it goes for around $36 USD. If you are like me, you will still buy a Fallkniven too.. Probably two or three.. But at least now you won't "need to".    ;)

Never is about need though now is it?

G.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:26:30 AM by glorn »
G

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
Mora Bushcraft Black
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 10:04:13 AM
Just bought a clipper from EDCS and awaiting its arrival along with a lanyard that I need to order from Ash tomorrow, glad to hear you like your bushcraft! I was thinking about the bushcraft but I knew I was just going to be doing light duty stuff

Sent from my own private Idaho
hi

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Re: Mora Bushcraft Black
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 10:05:42 AM
Oh, one minor critique.. Not shaving sharp out of the box like my previous Moras. I suspect the coating on the blade. Sharp, just not "Mora sharp". I will remedy that though.
G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 10:08:52 AM
Just bought a clipper from EDCS and awaiting its arrival along with a lanyard that I need to order from Ash tomorrow, glad to hear you like your bushcraft! I was thinking about the bushcraft but I knew I was just going to be doing light duty stuff

Ah! Bet you are excited! First Mora, or yet another Mora?

(Top Gear fan here as well  :cheers:)
G

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
Mora Bushcraft Black
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:13:12 AM

Ah! Bet you are excited! First Mora, or yet another Mora?

(Top Gear fan here as well  :cheers:)
Well still excited about my first spydie coming in the mail today! It's my first, if I like it I might go for the bushcraft... But I also like the Becker necker....  :think: P.S. that's from my favorite episode the one were they ride bikes across Vietnam

EDIT: added info and smiley
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:21:43 AM by multi jack »
hi

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 10:14:37 AM
Nice review there mate! :tu:

It always pleases me to see Mora being praised outside of Sweden.. :D

Sure, there's Fällkniven too but Mora is just such a humble little knife that tends to be found somewhere in almost every home around here. Well, not their bushcraft series, but their regular models.

Been wanting to pick up one of these but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 10:24:10 AM
Very cool mate. :salute:  One that I picked up for a friend is the Hultafors Heavy Duty Knife.  Again it's a 3mm blade though a little shorter than your Mora Black.  A very good bushcraft knife that cost next to nothing. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 10:37:37 AM

Sure, there's Fällkniven too but Mora is just such a humble little knife that tends to be found somewhere in almost every home around here. Well, not their bushcraft series, but their regular models.

Thanks!

Well, they deserve the praise. You simply cannot buy a better knife for the price, and frankly.. most people shouldn't ever need to. The regular $12-15 USD models are the best ones too. Simple, ergonomically sound, well designed, and cheap as it gets? This is what makes a great product. Who says inexpensive has to mean junk? Maybe it just means "nothing you don't need".

Fallkniven blades are drool worthy though. Consider me jealous that you can buy both Mora and Fallkniven for much less than I.

G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 10:39:59 AM
Very cool mate. :salute:  One that I picked up for a friend is the Hultafors Heavy Duty Knife.  Again it's a 3mm blade though a little shorter than your Mora Black.  A very good bushcraft knife that cost next to nothing. :)

I'll keep an eye out for one.  :tu:
G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 10:42:48 AM
P.S. that's from my favorite episode the one were they ride bikes across Vietnam

Right! The custom suits!  :rofl:

Africa when they drove across that dry lake.. My favorite.
G

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 11:41:54 AM
great review, at just the right time sir.  :tu:
I have been looking at the 'black' mora since before the holidays, and now armed with some residue cash i was thinking of making a purchase, I hate buying on the inter-web because you can't see/feel the product before parting with the folding stuff :rant:
so could you answer me a question ?
    " will the 'Black' (blueing) effect sharpening as it is a scandi grind ? "
 i may not have explained that well, i'll try again, "if you sharpen the blade in the 'normal' way will the whole 'bevel' of the blade lose the bluing almost immediatley?"

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 11:44:12 AM

Thanks!

Well, they deserve the praise. You simply cannot buy a better knife for the price, and frankly.. most people shouldn't ever need to. The regular $12-15 USD models are the best ones too. Simple, ergonomically sound, well designed, and cheap as it gets? This is what makes a great product. Who says inexpensive has to mean junk? Maybe it just means "nothing you don't need".

Fallkniven blades are drool worthy though. Consider me jealous that you can buy both Mora and Fallkniven for much less than I.

Yeah.. they're sweet knives and they've been around ages, one of those things that feel truly Swedish.

Oh and Fällkniven is pretty pricy around here as well.. too expensive for me to bother with them even though they look nice. :-\

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 04:37:35 PM
I have been looking at the 'black' mora since before the holidays, and now armed with some residue cash i was thinking of making a purchase, I hate buying on the inter-web because you can't see/feel the product before parting with the folding stuff :rant:
 i may not have explained that well, i'll try again, "if you sharpen the blade in the 'normal' way will the whole 'bevel' of the blade lose the bluing almost immediatley?"

Yes, sharpening would remove the coating and expose the raw carbon steel. Which I think will make it look even better.. I think blackened blades with sharpening and signs of wear just look awesome.
G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 04:43:41 PM

It would look just like this Fallkniven.
G

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 06:51:07 PM

Yes, sharpening would remove the coating and expose the raw carbon steel. Which I think will make it look even better.. I think blackened blades with sharpening and signs of wear just look awesome.
:cheers:
really tho ? kinda pointless having the 'coating' if you are going to wear it off sharpening it  :ahhh
while i was out today i just happened upon a 'mora force' , which followed me home  :whistle: (i've asked the wife if we can keep it  ;) )
I'm quite happy with it, but compared to some other 'moras' i have i can't say i think it is worth twice the price.
i prefer stainless over carbon BTW

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 07:27:32 PM
Ps. please keep us (me) informed of how you get on with your new 'toy' and how it works out ! maybe another review when you've had a chance to give it some hard testing ? thanks Glorn  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 07:33:56 PM
[/quote

I really like my hultafors heavy duty Gareth  :tu: and preferences it too the morass I've had as like the thicker blade  :tu:

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 07:28:04 AM
G

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 09:36:46 AM
It's been a few years now. Any updates on how the Mora is fairing?

I have one and just got a nice leather sheath for it from etsy.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 10:13:37 AM
After massaging Dave Canterbury ,he said how the BB is his chosen mora for his classes, with so many moras to choose from plus being the U.S ambassador for More that's a pretty good recommendation  :salute:  hope you enjoy your BB  :salute:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 10:42:20 AM
I just gave it a heck of a workout. LOL. Just cut up three paper boxes and about ten copy paper box lids...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 10:50:40 AM
 :like:  and why not  :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 10:57:26 AM
Nice looking sheath there as well. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 11:07:02 AM
beautiful sheath
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 01:00:20 PM
After massaging Dave Canterbury ,he said how the BB is his chosen mora for his classes, with so many moras to choose from plus being the U.S ambassador for More that's a pretty good recommendation  :salute:  hope you enjoy your BB  :salute:

:dwts:   :facepalm:   :rofl:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 04:38:30 PM
Said it before and I'll say it again - they day I can make a knife as good as the Bushcraft, I'll be satisfied.

Until then I'll own one  8)

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 05:43:50 PM

:dwts:   :facepalm:   :rofl:

oh come on the man is not a nati... it's just the use of british english
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 06:25:36 PM
 :rofl:

Also beautiful sheath and the BB looks like a great Mora as well :dd: :like: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%