Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Speaking of Slip Jointed Pliers....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Speaking of Slip Jointed Pliers....
on: January 09, 2012, 08:45:08 PM
In the recent Eek a Spyder thread I pointed out that the SpydeRench and ByrdRench have slip jointed pliers to allow them to grab different sized bolts, and while it is a nice feature, the pliers on the Spyder/ByrdRench are still pretty limited.  Not so with this one, a tool most of you probably have never heard of!

Ici c'est le Depanneur de Michelin which loosely translated is the Michelin Mechanic.  It's a beautiful tool that made a brief appearance sometime in the 80's before being sold to someone else (I can't think of who, but there have been threads about this before so I'll search it out at some point) and is pretty highly polished as you can see.

It also has a three tiered plier joint allowing for a significant range of jaw sizes- in fact, until you get into industrial sizes, I would guess there's not much this thing couldn't grab!  In addition, the handle/plier jaw actually comes off and can be used as a light duty pry bar or flathead screwdriver.

For a thirty year old tool this one is in almost perfect shape.  You can see where a bit of the chrome has worn off in the above photo, but otherwise this tool is factory perfect.  And, if there was a prize for the biggest ass can opener, the Deapanneur would win hands down!

With the lack of screwdrivers on this one I wouldn't want it to be my only hope at the side of the road, but it is a great tool that doesn't get a lot of recognition.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Speaking of Slip Jointed Pliers....
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:50:44 PM
You've been digging around in the vaults for us this week boss :D

I quite like the look of that one.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:04 PM

Just what i was thinking chrissy, cool tool Def, can you dig out the toollogic sl pliers while your there as got some on the way   :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:00:45 PM

It started as me just experimenting with a cheapo light tent, but folks have started asking me about different tools, and while looking for those tools I've come across others of interest and thought I'd share them too.  I suppose I could call these "Accidental Show Off" threads!  :D  I have a few more pictures to post from today's multitool fashion show, but if folks are enjoying them I'll keep digging around to see what I come up with.

Just what i was thinking chrissy, cool tool Def, can you dig out the toollogic sl pliers while your there as got some on the way   :tu:

I never managed to get a ToolLogic SL pliers, so the short answer is no, but not because I don't want to!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:06:47 PM

It started as me just experimenting with a cheapo light tent, but folks have started asking me about different tools, and while looking for those tools I've come across others of interest and thought I'd share them too.  I suppose I could call these "Accidental Show Off" threads!  :D  I have a few more pictures to post from today's multitool fashion show, but if folks are enjoying them I'll keep digging around to see what I come up with.

I never managed to get a ToolLogic SL pliers, so the short answer is no, but not because I don't want to!  :D

Def

I thought i saw a review on here  :think: possibly somewhere else  :D ill do a little review when i get it  :tu:

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:24:23 PM
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 02:57:07 AM
It eez not a can opener monsieur >:( it eez a Grattoir and a Decapsuleur  :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 03:05:50 AM
Grattoir= scraper
Poincon= Awl
Decapsuleur= Bottle opener
Ouvre- Boite= can opener
Denude- fils= wire stripper

:D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 07:29:54 PM
Just for the fun of it I fired off an email to Michelin to see if anyone there knew anything about it.  I got a nice "never heard of it but would you like to buy some tires?" email back.

Hello Grant,
Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

You mentioned in your email that you have a Michelin multitool marked "Michelin Depanneur" and you would like information. Unfortunately, we would not have any information on this product.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-888-871-4444 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Alvin
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

PS: It's important that you get all the safety-related materials that come with the purchase of new Michelin passenger and light truck tires. If you did not receive a warranty book, you can download one at www.michelinman.ca/warranty/. If you did not register your tires, please take a moment to do so at www.michelinman.ca. Registering your tires is easy and takes just a minute.

Given that this tool originated in Europe that really comes as no surprise, and lucky for me, I already have a good set of Michelins on the Jeep.

Def

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 07:33:58 PM
ToolLogicSL and here :tu:

cheers mate  :salute:

Ive got my own to try now as well  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 07:45:16 PM
Nice!  I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

One of the nice things about SOG now owning ToolLogic is that it makes these things more available.  Steve Padden, former owner and chief designer of ToolLogic is a brilliant guy, but something of a perfectionist.  Many tools he's come up with are in a constant state of redesign and never get produced.  many that do get into production got recalled because he didn't like some fiddly thing about them, and he didn't want anything out there that wasn't perfect.  It's an admirable trait, but can be frustrating for a collector.  I have ordered SL pliers twice, and both times the order was cancelled due to recall or a pushed back release date, and to be honest, I just hadn't gotten around to buying another one. 

On the whole, I like the SL pliers.  I've played with them a few times but just haven't pulled the trigger on them.

That having been said, what are your initial impressions?

Def

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 10:01:41 AM
Nice!  I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

One of the nice things about SOG now owning ToolLogic is that it makes these things more available.  Steve Padden, former owner and chief designer of ToolLogic is a brilliant guy, but something of a perfectionist.  Many tools he's come up with are in a constant state of redesign and never get produced.  many that do get into production got recalled because he didn't like some fiddly thing about them, and he didn't want anything out there that wasn't perfect.  It's an admirable trait, but can be frustrating for a collector.  I have ordered SL pliers twice, and both times the order was cancelled due to recall or a pushed back release date, and to be honest, I just hadn't gotten around to buying another one. 

On the whole, I like the SL pliers.  I've played with them a few times but just haven't pulled the trigger on them.

That having been said, what are your initial impressions?

Def

Well Def i have to say i like it a lot, the build on it is amazing and solid, the OHO blade works perfectly and everything clicks into place with almost a mercedes perfection  :D the blade is razor sharp and can cut hairs of the back of your hand with ease,the pliers are not HD pliers but perfect for smaller jobs and not tried the wire cutters but they slice through paper like LM's cutters do, now for the drivers, well there a little short too be honst and will be limited in arkward places but still more than useable, also the bits from my seperat bit screw driver fit in perfectly as well so opend my options, i will make a bit adapter so i can use normal sized bits as well, its a very comfy tool in both modes, i think paired up with a SAK it will be perfect, i will do a rewiew asap on it with lots of close ups as its a amazing bit of engineering, also it looks awseome  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 02:02:30 PM
Good to hear that you like it!  It's one of those unappreciated treasures in my mind- not a lot of people know about them, but they seem really good, especially for teh relatively low price tag on them.

Def

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 09:33:56 PM
Good to hear that you like it!  It's one of those unappreciated treasures in my mind- not a lot of people know about them, but they seem really good, especially for teh relatively low price tag on them.

Def

I look forward to trying it out Def, i agree and was uknown to me untill i got the SL3 and liked it so much i checked out Toollogics other stuff and came across this one, its in my backpack right now and i hope to try it out tommorow  :salute:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 07:17:07 AM

Def

I really like seeing these old/unusual/rare/weird tools, so feel free to throw some into the mix any time you have the inclination and time  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 09:35:02 PM
No worries.  I have done a few of them so far, although there's no index thread anywhere showing them.  Maybe I should think about putting one together sometime...  if I can remember them!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%