Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dumb, but unavoidable question

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Dumb, but unavoidable question
on: January 10, 2013, 06:48:35 PM
Did the original Victorinox Scientist have a straight pin tucked in behind the corkscrew?  I bought mine in 1986, but I don't know the exact year it was made. I don't remember using the straight pin. I carried that damned thing for 20 years, and just when I started to consider it unloseable, I promptly lost it.

ba Offline IoNForce

• I'm supposed to be the smart one
Re: Dumb, but unavoidable question
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:58:04 PM
According to http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Scientist , the older models did not have a straight pin:
Early copies of the Scientist did not contain the straight-pin.

Although the newer models have pins included. The first Victorinox Scientist has been made at 1986 and the last series at 1999. They say 1991 was the year when the straight pin was added, but I'm not 100% sure if it's correct.

EDIT: Adding a bit of info and correcting grammar.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:13:03 PM by IoNForce »

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:33:54 PM
I don't think mine had a pin, therefore it was even more rare and valuable.  >:(

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:40:48 PM
Did the original Victorinox Scientist have a straight pin tucked in behind the corkscrew?  I bought mine in 1986, but I don't know the exact year it was made. I don't remember using the straight pin. I carried that damned thing for 20 years, and just when I started to consider it unloseable, I promptly lost it.

They did not. Like IoNForce said, the pin was added in the early 90s to the plus scales. It was added to all scales in the late 90s/early 2000s. I have two NIB Scientists, one from 86 and one from 88/89, and neither have straight pins.

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:41:45 PM

They did not. Like IoNForce said, the pin was added in the early 90s to the plus scales. It was added to all scales in the late 90s/early 2000s. I have two NIB Scientists, one from 86 and one from 88/89, and neither have straight pins.

I don't feel quite so dumb; I bought it before the pin was added.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 08:51:16 PM
I don't feel quite so dumb; I bought it before the pin was added.

Most Scientists do not have the straight pin. As far as I can tell, there were three big runs of them made over the years - one in 86 when the combo tool came out, another in the late 80s, and a third in the early/mid 90s. The last run of these are the only ones with the straight pin. This was also the smallest run judging by the number of these you see popping up on eBay/Mutlitool/etc. The mid-late 80s Scientists are by far more common.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%