Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Juice colour question.

DaveK · 17 · 2813

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Juice colour question.
on: June 11, 2008, 11:41:42 PM
Until yesterday when my Juice SC2s arrived, I was under the impression that the Juice range were all made with a choice of 2 colours. Each tool had it's "own" colour, or grey. I.e.:

C2 : Inferno (Red) or Storm (Grey)
S2 : Flame (Orange) or Storm (Grey)
CS4 : Glacier (Blue) or Storm (Grey)
XE6 : Thunder (Purple) or Storm (Grey)
KF4 : Solar (Yellow) or Storm (Grey)

However, having ordered a Blue and a "Grey" SC2, I was surprised to find that the Blue is ever so slightly darker than the Glacier Blue on my CS4. Indeed the box label states simply "Blue" with no reference to Glacier. I compared the two juices to my Squirt S4 (also sold as Glacier) and that is a slightly different shade again - so maybe it's just down to different batches or something. Of course there's no mention of the SC2 on leatherman.com, so it's difficult to tell whether it was intended or not!

More interestingly though, the "Grey" SC2 arrived in a box labelled "Clear", and it is precisely that. I'm not prepared to deliberately scratch my shiny new SC2 to find out for sure, but it appears to be coated in a clear "varnish" allowing the aluminium scales to shine through. It looks very nice indeed, and is distictly different to the only other grey (Storm?) Juice I have - the Pro.

So it seems that there are some variations to the formula (own colour or Storm), but finally to my question (sorry you had to read all this to get here :D ), is the Pro available in any other colour than grey?

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Juice colour question.
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 01:32:26 AM
No.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 01:35:03 AM
Hehe....just picking on you there with the short answer.  ;)

I've never seen the Pro dressed in anything but grey. The SC2 I've seen advertised in red, blue and "grey". Mine is blue, and the blue is the same shade as a CS4 alongside it.

I haven't seen this "clear" you are referring to.  :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 01:51:14 AM
I tried to take a picture of the clear but I'm going to have to wait for daylight I think. I suppose the best way to describe it is "silver". It's almost mirror-like. It's very nice!

I guess the shades of blue must be down to variations in the paint mix then.

I didn't know they did a red though - great, just when you think you've got them all. Is it like the Inferno red?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 02:16:15 AM

I didn't know they did a red though - great, just when you think you've got them all. Is it like the Inferno red?

Well, it is on mine anyhow! :P   (Same red as on a C2)

Looking forward to seeing the silver SC2 alongside the grey Pro.  :)

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 02:33:54 AM
I've noticed some color differences on my Juice "grays". My KF4 looks just about right, but my S2 deffinetely has a hint of purple. :P

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:35:27 AM
I just looked at all my Juice's. I can definitely tell that my blue CS4 and P4 are both advertised as Glacier Blue and the CS4 is darker..
B

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 07:46:05 PM
Here's the pic. The difference between Clear and Grey shows up well enough, the blues are hard to distinguish though....

* juice cols.jpg (Filesize: 58.64 KB)

Offline joebw

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 08:29:17 PM
Hi Dave,

The "clear" that you see on the Costco SC@ is exactly that - clear anodize.  The other colors are different dyeing of the anodize (aluminum oxide) layer.

Joe

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 09:30:29 PM
Cheers Joe - that's what I thought. It really does look nice doesn't it?

Was the SC2 only produced for Costco then? I know that theory has been mentioned before, but haven't seen anyone confirm it.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 09:52:11 PM
I really like the look of the clear one.
I'm back!!

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 10:05:20 PM
I'd just like to take a moment here to commend Leatherman on making the Juice series. Instead of phasing out SAKs, they created a whole new category. Good for them!
W

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 04:43:43 AM
I really like the look of the clear one.
I agree 200%. I'd love to see some more of that "color" used.

no Offline Offroad

Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 09:18:17 PM
Dave where did you get that clear sc2 beauty?, do you know of any other  :drool:

Offline joebw

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 01:14:14 AM
Hi Dave,

Sorry - gets worse than you imagine.  Here is what is in my collection.

C2 : Inferno (Red) or Storm (Grey)
S2 : Flame (Orange),Storm (Grey), Green Camo (Australia) or Brown Camo (Australia)
CS4 : Glacier (Blue) or Storm (Grey)
KF4 : Solar (Yellow),Storm (Grey), Green Camo (Australia) or Brown Camo (Australia)
XE6 : Thunder (Purple) or Storm (Grey)

Also, the USA and TOOL plier marking as well as the milled-off marking on the KF4.  The Pro (special for Costco) came in Storm (gray)- Mine is marked TOOL but there might be USA marked versions that I've never seen.  However, the production date (0602) on mine makes me think that this will be unlikely.

The SC2's which were done for Costco came in Blue, Inferno and Silver - All in my collection are marked TOOL and have production dates on both handles of 1102 and 1202.

Collecting of these tools can be as tough as you want.  However, I consider the learning process (almost as good as the cool people that you meet along the way) to be really neat.

Have fun - none of this builds a timed out nuc!!!!!

Best - Joe

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 01:48:20 AM
I'd definitely like to see one of those Camo Juices Joe - never seen one of those.

My KF4 is marked "USA" and is dated 0601/0701. I saw pictures on this site somewhere of the milled off versions too, guess they must have had a large stock of plier heads in when the court case kicked off.

My PRO is dated 0402 (so 2 months earlier than yours) and is also marked "TOOL", so that adds weight to your theory I guess.

I've seen pictures now of the Inferno SC2, so that's another one to add to the never-ending list! My SC2s are dated 1102 and 1202 so that probably supports something I read that said that all of the SC2s were made in one production run, so I'd guess they are all marked TOOL (no doubt someone will prove me wrong :D)

I only recently decided to start collecting the Juices, so far I have:

- PRO (Grey)
- CS4 (Glacier)
- KF4 (Solar)
- SC2 x 2 (Blue / Clear)
- C2 (Inferno)
- S2 (Flame)

...only another several hundred £s to go  :angel:

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 06:27:15 AM
I don't know why LM got rid of the SC2.  I like it a lot and the clear aluminum handles are spectacular.  They have a mirror-like shine to them.

"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD