Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mailing my knife to Victorinox... Cheapest method?

KTesh · 20 · 5717

tw Offline KTesh

• We4ishe2me pu3to1nghua4 bi3 yi1ngyu3 ge4ng na2n?
on: January 08, 2013, 06:52:05 AM
I'm ready to send my damaged SAK to Victorinox, but curious as to the cheapest, reliable, and fastest method to do so.  I'm an unemployed student, and $$$'s tight, and getting to the Post Office is a PITA.

Anybody know how much this is going to set me back.

Thanks!
K'Tesh

If you can't fix it with duct tape, a hammer, a screwdriver, bailing wire, zipties, or a Swiss Army Knife, it's broken and irreparable.

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:52:42 AM
Where are you located and where are you mailing to?

Ash's mobile on the move.

tw Offline KTesh

Re: Mailing my knife to Victorinox... Cheapest method?
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:20:11 PM
Where are you located and where are you mailing to?

Thanks for the reply...  I made time to go to the Post Office yesterday. So I got an answer... but it was the wrong answer, so I'm heading back later today (I didn't get the rate for certified mail).

To help others, I copied these things from the Victorinox Swiss Army website (info for 2013 only)

Victorinox Swiss Army

U.S. REPAIRS
To find the Authorized Service Center closest to you please click here.
Please include the following information when submitting your repair/service request:
  • Name (or person to contact in case of questions)
  • Complete shipping address including any apartment or unit number (shipping is prohibited to
  • PO Boxes with the exception of military bases)
  • Phone number
  • Email Address (this will be used to contact you about your repair/service request only)
  • Proof of Purchase (if under warranty)
  • Brief description of repair/service requested

To expedite the turnaround time for your request, please ship directly to the Authorized Service Center closest to you.  To find the Authorized Service Center closest to you please http://www.victorinox.com/us/content/authorized_repair_center

For Knives, there's only one center....
    Victorinox Swiss Army
    Attn Repair Center
    7 VICTORIA DR
    PO BOX 1212
    MONROE, CT 06468

For questions regarding your individual repair or our repair process, please call out Customer Support Department at       1-800-442-2706.

Please ship insured and via trackable means (UPS, FedEx, US Certified Mail, etc)

Victorinox Swiss Army is not responsible for any lost or stolen packages containing products for repair.

CANADA REPAIRS
Repair or service inquiries for Canada should be directed to:
http://repairs@swissarmy.ca
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:29:40 PM by KTesh »
If you can't fix it with duct tape, a hammer, a screwdriver, bailing wire, zipties, or a Swiss Army Knife, it's broken and irreparable.

tw Offline KTesh

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 08:19:51 AM
Ok...  my knife is now on the way to the repair center. 

I don't know if I ended up with the cheapest method, but it was the best I could do according to the person at the post office.

Victorinox wants the knives mailed certified, and insured...  When I tried to insure my certified flat rate box (the difference was only pennies between the envelope and the box), they said the certified mail excluded insurance.  I opted for a signature confirmation of delivery.

All told, the actual cost of mailing it was $10.65USD.  This breaks down as:
    $5.35  Postage 
    $2.95  Certified Fee
    $2.35  Return Receipt Fee

Victorinox also wanted $5.00 for shipping and handling in a check or money order form.  My money order came out to be $.47 (I'm sure I could have done better, but I was in a hurry to get it sent off).

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:11:25 AM
Hmm... need proof of purchase for warranty work?? So gifts are SOL???
Who's going to keep a proof of purchase receipt for years down the road? Leatherman sure spoils us!
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

tw Offline KTesh

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 07:16:54 PM
Hmm... need proof of purchase for warranty work?? So gifts are SOL???
Who's going to keep a proof of purchase receipt for years down the road? Leatherman sure spoils us!

Dunno what the proof of purchase was, but I did put the knife in one of the two boxes that I still had.  I suspect that'll work

us Offline Donald

Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:12:12 AM
I never realized that Victorinox required a proof of purchase for warranty work. Has anyone ever submitted one or been rejected because they did not submit one for a supposedly lifetime warranty?

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 06:00:51 AM
I just sent one off and I didn't include anything but the smurfed up knife.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 02:30:19 PM
Never submitted any proof of purchase with the SAKs sent for repair to Victorinox Canada. Just the SAK and a piece of paper with my info and what I would like to be done (at one point back in time they had a standard form to print and fill, with questions such as if they can replace the SAK or if you only want it repaired, what tools to keep from the old SAK, etc). They have a lifetime warranty so what purpose would a proof of purchase serve.

tw Offline KTesh

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 08:34:30 PM
Well, I have to say, I've been a little nervous for the last few weeks...   

When I sent my knife off, I sent it certified mail with return receipt, and I never got anything back from the USPS saying that it was received by Victorinox.  >:(  (part of the fees I paid required the recipient to sign for it)

Last night I finally got tired of waiting, and looked up the tracking number on my receipt, and found that it took 4 days for it to arrive in Connecticut.

This morning when the customer service number (1 (800) 442-2706) was open (Monday-Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm EST), I called.  I've been informed that my knife is on its way home, and should be delivered today.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they did.

I know the knife itself wasn't replaced, but the wood saw and the small blade were. I'm not sure what they did about the damaged liners/scale, or if they installed the parcel hook and chisel I asked for.  I do know that they didn't email or call me with a bill for repairs though.  :D

So, presuming that FEDX delivers it and it's not stolen from my porch, it looks like it takes just shy of a month to complete the round trip for repairs.   :)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:00:22 PM by KTesh »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 08:52:33 PM
Thanks for the update. :tu: Pics upon arrival are a must. :pok:

tw Offline KTesh

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 08:57:17 PM
Thanks for the update. :tu: Pics upon arrival are a must. :pok:

You bet...  (presuming that the camera doesn't fail me...  it took a hell of a hit yesterday when I fell down a step ( :rant: rotten concrete...  Reported to PDX))
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:59:03 PM by KTesh »

tw Offline KTesh

All in all, I'm actually disappointed
Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 06:49:55 AM
The bent Wood Saw was bent back some, it's better, but not fixed.   

The damaged tip of the small blade was reprofiled (ground down and resharpened). 

The damaged Saw Liners were left alone, and the saw still will not retract without flexing it.

The damaged scales were replaced, as was the toothpick and the tweezers.

All in all, I'm actually disappointed.  With the saw problem remaining, it's still not "Fixed".

I was willing to pay for repairs, now I'm going to have to call them back and see if they really will fix it. :\

Oh, need to add this... the camera works about 75% (or less) of the time, the post office was moved 10 block further away at the end of January, and the doctor says the fall has broken my fibula (again). :facepalm:

Not a good day.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:58:04 AM by KTesh »

us Offline Donald

Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 01:27:09 PM
I hope your days improve. I feel for you! Sorry to hear about the fall and bad consequences. 

The shoddy Vic repair literally adds insult to injury! I am disappointed that they did not do better.

tw Offline KTesh

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse...
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 09:14:18 PM
Just when I thought things couldn't get worse... 

Looks like Connecticut is getting hammered by a blizzard, and Victorinox's repair center is closed for weather.

I'm behind in my Homework, and falling faster and faster behind (while trying to catch up on crutches, and a bus). 

Camera now works 30% (or less) of the time.

A good word to describe my day is a VERY Bad word (frequently used in the unedited version of "The King's Speech")

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:16:12 PM by KTesh »

tw Offline KTesh

Well the news keeps getting worse.
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 07:40:36 PM
Called SAK US up today, and told them of the problem.  Due to the old design of the knife, they say that to get the thing fixed would require them to send it home to Switzerland. 

Estimated cost of repairs...  $69.00USD (S/H included)

For that, I could quite probably buy a new knife, the tools to disassemble/reassemble the old knife, as well as a sacrificial knife and end up with 3 working knives (my current knife included) and a saw-less/small bladed-less spare.

What was that line from "The King's Speech" again?   :rant:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 10:32:06 PM
  Thought these had lifetime warranties? Leatherman sure spoils us, lot of times they replace the tools. Guess the Swiss aren't as faithful in their loyalties, or was the knife of sentimental value?
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 11:11:52 PM
I know I wasn't to pleased with my Victorinox repair but Wenger has always done me right. :tu:  :think:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 11:17:49 PM
I dont think it is cost effective to send them a knife for fixing.  A long time ago, I was going to send them the small Tinker that I have had for over 25 years cause most tools have alot of up/down play for them to fix before I gave it to my son.  The problem was that it was going to cost me about $5 to ship it to them but they wanted like $11.45 (if I remember the right change amount) to ship it back to me.  I know it was $11.xx

That stinks as I figured I would have $20 into a knife that old so at that point I consider the SAK a disposable knife.  If I damaged one or develop play in it from broken springs or whatever, then I guess I just have to throw it away or in the back of a drawer and get another one.

I almost did it anyway as it was my first SAK that I ever had but just bugged me that they charges that much for return shipping.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 03:07:18 AM
Now its shipping to them plus include $5 for return shipping. Wouldn't be bad if they fixed it! :rant:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD