Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I got a OG Wave Sheath and its lovely.

Aloha · 18 · 1216

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I got a OG Wave Sheath and its lovely.
on: March 12, 2017, 09:34:03 PM
I've been looking at getting one of these sheaths but not paying what would amount to a custom price wise.  A nice gentleman I see at the flea market had one and sold it to me today.  Pretty stoked. 

Dear Leatherman, with a name LEATHERman I would love to see the amazing leather sheaths of old make a come back. 

I also very much like to old logo. 
IMG_2506.JPG
* IMG_2506.JPG (Filesize: 201.44 KB)
IMG_2507.JPG
* IMG_2507.JPG (Filesize: 175.48 KB)
IMG_2508.JPG
* IMG_2508.JPG (Filesize: 140.99 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Re: I got a OG Wave Sheath and its lovely.
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:25:40 PM
Leatherman got it right with that lovely sheath. The form, the color, the stich... everything is complementing the classic tool it houses within. then again, not all those decision makers at big corporation are exactly smart or have common sense. Heck, if they ever reintroduce them and sell for $25/pc, they will still sell them well.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 10:36:57 PM
Leatherman got it right with that lovely sheath. The form, the color, the stich... everything is complementing the classic tool it houses within. then again, not all those decision makers at big corporation are exactly smart or have common sense. Heck, if they ever reintroduce them and sell for $25/pc, they will still sell them well.

I would agree.  They could certainly make a few buck on accessories.  It may not financial sense but seems like a good idea.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 10:58:21 PM

I would agree.  They could certainly make a few buck on accessories.  It may not financial sense but seems like a good idea.

Actually, it is financially sound to sell those sheaths again as standalone items. Those sheaths are expendable items. Leatherman will not have to worry about servicing them, except manufacturing defects. They should be cheap to make.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 12:36:11 AM
What a beaut.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 02:07:05 AM
Even the older nylon sheaths are superior quality to the ones they make today. I have an original supertool and the nylon sheath it comes with is so much better despite still being velcro and older. 

The current rebar nylon pancake sheaths are junk, similar to the gerber mp400 sheaths.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:10:58 AM by Wallace72 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 06:08:22 AM
I have a few of the older nylon as well and I also very much enjoy them.  This sheath rides amazing on my belt. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline mtn

Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 05:39:20 PM
So is this one different? It looks different only in the snap and the lettering. Is it functionally the same or no?
http://www.leatherman.com/original-wave-brown-leather-sheath-311.html#start=2

Also, what other tools have folks used this for?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 06:37:08 PM
This was like my original waves sheath from 1998,as said the best sheath that LM made  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 06:53:54 PM
So is this one different? It looks different only in the snap and the lettering. Is it functionally the same or no?

The comments all have issues with the stitching on the belt attachment.  I don't have the one you linked to so I cannot say for sure however I can say the sheath I posted about is pretty slim.  Comments say some have used the sheath for a new wave/charge.  The sheath I have will fit either new wave/charge but its a very tight fit and will stretch the leather quite a lot.   I'd say the sheath I have is really just for a OG Wave. 

The sheaths belt loop on mine appears un-used so I cannot say if the stitching is solid or not.  I can tell you all my old leather LM sheaths are rock solid. 

Sorry I am not much help.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 12:36:36 PM

The comments all have issues with the stitching on the belt attachment.  I don't have the one you linked to so I cannot say for sure however I can say the sheath I posted about is pretty slim.  Comments say some have used the sheath for a new wave/charge.  The sheath I have will fit either new wave/charge but its a very tight fit and will stretch the leather quite a lot.   I'd say the sheath I have is really just for a OG Wave. 

The sheaths belt loop on mine appears un-used so I cannot say if the stitching is solid or not.  I can tell you all my old leather LM sheaths are rock solid. 

Sorry I am not much help.

The old sheaths have double stitches on the belt attachment, whereas the ones Leatherman is selling only have one. Those light brown ones used to have double stitches as well. For whatever reason, they just reduced the amount of stiches. Threads cost so much?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 04:58:20 PM
I cannot understand why anyone would decrease the stitch count  :think:

Saving pennies to loose dollars in the long run.  I know Leatherman is a multitool company but making some quality leather sheaths was part of their business at one time.  Why go backwards is what confuses me?  I do like the MUT Molle sheath a lot so thats a good thing. 

I added some leather conditioner to the sheath since it was pretty dry.  I will stow it with a nice older OG Wave it have.  I love the older brown PST sheaths too.  Steve C has some great old sheaths. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline mtn

Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 05:38:53 PM
I cannot understand why anyone would decrease the stitch count  :think:

Saving pennies to loose dollars in the long run.  I know Leatherman is a multitool company but making some quality leather sheaths was part of their business at one time.  Why go backwards is what confuses me?  I do like the MUT Molle sheath a lot so thats a good thing. 

I added some leather conditioner to the sheath since it was pretty dry.  I will stow it with a nice older OG Wave it have.  I love the older brown PST sheaths too.  Steve C has some great old sheaths.

From a business point of view I can see it. People don't think about the sheath when they buy the tool. They're buying the tool. Would the sheath make you go to a Gerber instead? (you being the royal you, not Aloha007). Probably not. They saw a way to save money without decreasing the quality of their product (which is the tool, not the sheath). Additionally, the sheath wears out, and they get the sale of a new sheath.

The fact is that Leatherman really is the best quality of the multitool world with the exception of Victorinox. And the Vic's are in a different pricepoint and a slightly different market target.

I don't like it, but I can understand it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 05:53:55 PM
Thank you and yes I also dont like it and as well can understand.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 08:24:27 PM
Nice old sheath Aloha  :like: :cheers: :tu:

You know I love that old leather   :drool:

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 08:50:35 PM
Perhaps Social engineering at work.. if the stitches break, not only will you need a new sheath but maybe also a new leatherman  :cry:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 02:29:45 AM
Nice one Aloha :like: I have the nylon version of the OG Wave sheath and it is also a step above in quality :cheers: I use to be on the lookout for the old leather one but once I got the nylon one I stopped looking :whistle: as it is as top quality as the leather one :tu: I just love all the old sheaths :dd: Wished they would take a step back toward that type of quality sheath instead of going towards less leather and stretchy ::) :D Also as said above the old nylon sheaths were also great quality and I like the older logo as well compared to the new yellow one :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%