Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Newbie question: Help me decide: LM Wave/Charge OR Vic spirit?

Offline colubrid

I posted this on bladeforums and after several views I have had no response yet. So I thought I would try it here.

Any input on which of these i should get? I have handled a Wave but never seen the Vic spirit or LM Charge in person.

When closed are the LM Wave and the Vic Spirit the same length? I am leaning towards the Vic because of the rust issues with LM but the size of either one can be a deciding factor since I want something smaller.

Also what is the difference bwtween the Wave and Charge besides the handle materials? I assume they have the same tools except the Charge is more expensive . Is this correct...or does the Charge have better all around quality?

Offline Kapt Kopter

Hello and welcome to MultiTool.org forums.
Well for me I would pick the Charge, I am a long time user of Leatherman products and haven't seen any problems with rust on any that I have owned.
I would go for the Charge just for the CM154 blade steel on the main blade.

Kap
I

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
I have all three and I'd say you should choose between the LM Charge and the Vic Spirit.  The Wave and the Charge have all the same tools but the Charge does have the better bade and handles.  Also I think that the Charge feels better in my hand. It might not matter but on mine the removable pocket clip fits better on my Charge than on the Wave. I've have lots of LMs and I haven't had any rust problems with any of them. Something you shoud keep in mind is the spirit blade. It's a combo serrated sheepfoot type.  While the Charge has the both. I have seen the new Spirit S that has the regular SAK spearpoint blade inplace of the scissors. 
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Personally I would stick to the Spirit.  It can be had much cheaper than the other two, has a better warranty (lifetime versus 25 years, although that might be a moot point!) has a better tool selection, all the tools lock... what more need be said?
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I forgot- I'll try to get some pics of the Wave and the Spirit together for you soon.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I will probably end up getting both. It just a matter of avaliable funds. Since the Spirit is cheaper and has the locking mechanism on all the blades is a big plus. Plus I like all my Victorinox knifes.

The size of the Spirit is the only remaining question. I am looking forward to the side by side pics from Defender.

Thanks Defender~!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Price wise I would recommend the spirit, great selection of tools in a small package that are easy to get too, as for the Charge I don't know...the 154cm blade is tempting but I already own a new wave. If its anything like that then it's pretty slick, the one hand opening combined with a pocket clip rules :)

David

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
No problem.  I just got up, so once I get both eyes pointed in the same direction, I'll try to get those photos taken for you.  I would also be remiss if I didn't suggest that you check out Tim's shop (FELINEVET) over at SOSAKOnline for the best prices on just about everything Victorinox.  You probably already know that by now, but I am just making sure!
www.felinevet.sosakonline.com
Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Here you go- Sorry they are a little blurry, but I am just taking a break from ripping up the kitchen floor...
Def

* SW01.JPG (Filesize: 26.77 KB)

* SW02.JPG (Filesize: 31.3 KB)

* SW03.JPG (Filesize: 25.79 KB)

Offline colubrid

Cool,,, thanks!

Looks like the LM is smaller, heavier and thicker, while the spirit takes up more room because of the curved handle design.

Decisions decisions...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Between the two of them, I find the Spirit to be the better tool, and the only thing the Wave has over it is the one handed opening.  Of course, if you are left handed, this is also useless as the blade isn't accessable from the left hand.
Def

Offline colubrid

Is this a good price for a Spirit?

They have them listed at $54.95 and the Spirit plus for $66.95... Is the plus bigger than the regular sprit? Does it have an extra bit holder?

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=302&Page=1

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I don't know what Tim has them listed for off the top of my head, but the Spirit Plus is the same tool, only with the addition of a wrench (or ratchet) and screwdriver bits.  Oh, and a corkscrew.  Can't forget the corkscrew!
I have alerted Tim to this thread and he should be around shortly to tell you if that's a good price or not.
Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas

Offline colubrid

I am all over that deal...
Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 11:41:49 PM
WOW. ! that is a great deal. Thanks Defender for all your help. I looked at his page earlier but could not find the Vic multitools for sale. I have to spend some more time navigating there.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Tim is $5 cheaper, plus free shipping, which is $6.95 at Knifeworks.
http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=186&category_id=541a03b2b0e1b6dbd972e9f5af5ca992&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1
Def

Thanks Def. I will extend my "free shipping" to members of this forum as well. If you don't see what you want in my store, let me know. Chances are I can get it for you and I pride myself on customer service. ;)
T

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Just cheat like I do and use the search function on the lower left! ;)  And if you need anything SAK or SAK related and you can't find it in the store, you can always feel free to e-mail him.  He's usually got it, or if he doesn't, he'll get it for you.
Def

PS- I see Tim beat me to that last part!

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Re: I am all over that deal...
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 11:47:17 PM
WOW. ! that is a great deal. Thanks Defender for all your help. I looked at his page earlier but could not find the Vic multitools for sale. I have to spend some more time navigating there.

I will be reorganizing my store in the future with a separate section for Vic multi-tools. Right now they are under "Victorinox - New".
T

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Glad to have you over here too Tim.

For anyone that doesn't know, any and all proceeds from sales either in Tim's store on www.sosakonline.com or in his eBay store go to fund the Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Program (www.fveap.org) to help folks with sick and injured pets afford life saving treatment.  Definately a good cause, and a worth addition to Multitool.org.  Watch for Tim's banner to appear here very soon.
Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
I lik ethe Spirit too and think it's the better choice although you can't go wrong with either of them.really, it's just a matter of which one you buy first!
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline colubrid

I just emailed TIm and told him I want to order a Sprit. WOOO HOOOoo! Can't wait to get it!

Offline colubrid

I may aslo get this Dutch version of the Vic soldier. It has larger stronger blades.

Pretty nice. And the soldier is my favorite SAK. Tims site is great.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Actually, the DAKs (Dutch Army Knives) aren't any different from the Soldier model, except for the keyring and looks.  But, the Soldier is heavier duty than regular (cellidor scaled) SAKs.
I carry a KL89 quite a bit.  I like the Soldier configuration but I really like the keyring.  I could just carry a Pioneer, but why bother when I could carry a DAK? :D
Def

PS: here's a new article I just posted on SOSAKOnline that you might be interested in.
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126&Itemid=35

Offline colubrid

I think the Pioneer has the same configuration. Onbly I thought the Duthc version had bigger tools.

On Tims site it said this knife is more robust. So i assumed that meant the can opener and bottle opener are thicker and stronger. Hey i am just learning here.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
They are indeed bigger and more robust- than the standard red handled SAKs.  They are identical to the ones on the Soldier, Pioneer and all other ALOX models.

The ALOX models are thicker and heavier duty because they are all descended from the original Soldier's knife.  The red plastic handled models are descended from the original Officer's Knife and so isn't quite as robust as the officers don't face the same challenges as the soldiers do.

i am just learning here

That's what we are here for! 
Def

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
The AMEFA KLs are indeed much larger and beefier than the current issue Soldiers or the Vic made KLs.
T

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Yeah, you have a point there- I thought we were discussing Victorinox KL's, not AMEFA.  Now there's a horse fo a different color!
Def

Offline colubrid

"The AMEFA KLs are indeed much larger and beefier than the current issue Soldiers or the Vic made KLs."

Okay so they are bigger than the regular Vic soldiers. Thats what I wanted.

The reason I liked the Vic soldiers is because they have larger can and bottle openers than the standard Vics. A larger version that is either thicker or longer has got to be the one to use and abuse. ;D

Offline colubrid

Just got the AMEFA
Reply #28 on: September 08, 2006, 01:31:02 AM
Well I just received the AMEFA KL92 from Tim and they do look the same size.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Newbie question: Help me decide: LM Wave/Charge OR Vic spirit?
Reply #29 on: September 08, 2006, 01:39:02 AM
That doesn't look like an AMEFA... by '92 they were Victorinox, not AMEFA.  The AMEFA made DAKs are bigger and bulkier.
Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%