Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rechargeable batteries

Offline kreskin13

Rechargeable batteries
on: March 21, 2008, 12:12:30 PM
Anyone who uses a digital camera knows how expensive batteries are. If you're not using rechargeables, start NOW!

Not only are they much cheaper to use, they are much better for the environment.

Here is an article I found this morning with an update on the rechargeable battery world and how to use them properly. I use the Sanyo Eneloops with a Maha charger, but this La Crosse looks very good.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001078.html

Here are a couple of places I've bought rechargeables from.

http://www.greenbatteries.com/
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

Calvin
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 01:20:39 PM by kreskin13 »
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Rechargeable batteries
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 02:36:39 PM
Anyone who uses a digital camera knows how expensive batteries are. If you're not using rechargeables, start NOW!

Not only are they much cheaper to use, they are much better for the environment.
Thats they are, normal batteries are horribley expensive to dispose of safely :o
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 12:56:45 AM
I'll never buy alkies again, Eneloops for me from now on! :cheers:

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:03:55 AM
Is it safe to use Eneloop on AA and AAA LED flashlights ?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 01:26:09 AM by edap617 »

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:18:38 AM
more than safe bro, I'd recommend it!
last longer-over and over use, more continuous power after a few minutes of use alkies drop off fast, never leak, hold a good charge if you store the light.
These are not Lithiums bro, so their quite safe.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 01:28:38 AM
Ok, I'll get Eneloop batteries for my 2 LED flashlights. Thanks WhichDawg!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 02:05:10 AM
if you do you'll have to get a charger for them! and stay away from quick chargers, they kill your rechargeables over the long run!

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 02:42:46 AM
I already have a slow charger that I use to charge NiCad batteries before. Thanks for the reminder.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 06:54:44 PM
I use Eneloops with that LaCrosse BC-900 charger you linked to.  Both work awesome.  That charger is the best available, IMO.  The Maha C-9000 is awesome too, but the LaCrosse is less expensive and easier to use.

Eneloops work great in flashlights too!!

FWIW, I've also had great luck with Ray-O-Vac hybrids.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 07:00:27 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline kreskin13

Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 02:12:07 AM
My La Crosse shipped today! When I first saw the article on www.lifehacker.com. I followed the link to Amazon and saw they had them in stock for less than $40. I did a little more research on the La Crosse (I'm a big Maha fan 8)) liked what I read, went back to Amazon a few hours later and they were already out of stock! I guess that article caused a gold rush on them. :o

If you have any interest in computers, I can't recommend www.lifehacker.com enough. They cover both PC and Mac with lot's of free (and legal) software links. They tell you what the software does and why they like it. Great stuff.

Calvin
[

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 05:11:59 AM
I already have a slow charger that I use to charge NiCad batteries before. Thanks for the reminder.

This is the charger I was talking about. Is it safe if I use this to charge Sanyo Eneloop? Thank you.

Eddie

Close up view showing the model number.

Name plate at the back. I cant read the instruction in Japanese but at least there is an English portion at the bottom.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 10:36:22 AM
what I've read Eddie is;

a NiCd charger will also charge NiMH cells, but there are a few specific things to check for.

-If the charger applies a low current on a timer before cutting off, then this may not be enough to fully charge typically higher capacity NiMH cells. It may be necessary to run the timer a second time.

-If the charger applies a low current continuously without ever stopping, then leaving the power connected after the NiMH cells (eneloops are NIMH) are charged may cause damage from overcharging. In such a case you would want to find out how long it takes to fully charge the cells and unplug after that.

-If the charger uses some form of intelligent charge termination (smart charger, I think yours is a dumb charger, meaning no settings, digital display) you would be wise to test first. Make sure the cells don't start getting hot and staying hot at the end of charge, since this would be a sign of missed charge termination and overcharging. they will not be dangerous, just not last as long, you'd be killing your batteries life.

I would pull the plug after charging is complete (light goes out?) just to be on the safe side, if yours stops at all! Otherwise check (touch) the batteries to see if their getting hot.

I myself would invest in a newer, dedicated NiMH charger.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 10:55:09 AM
WhichDawg,

Thanks again. I will try using this charger and will follow your intructions. Will  buy a modern charger later.

Eddie

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 11:18:52 AM
np amigo, I think eneloops are great, they claim to be able to charge 1000 times! (to early/new for us to see if this is true but so far their doing it!) that's 1000 times you'd have to buy regular batteries! and no leaking!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 12:49:33 AM
Name plate at the back. I cant read the instruction in Japanese but at least there is an English portion at the bottom.

The japanese portion are just a bunch of warnings, like read the owner's manual, don't charge alkaline, don't disassemble etc. nothing you don't know already. (you do know them already, right?  :pok:)

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 01:01:45 AM

The japanese portion are just a bunch of warnings, like read the owner's manual, don't charge alkaline, don't disassemble etc. nothing you don't know already. (you do know them already, right?  :pok:)

Thanks Jzmtl. I feel safe to charge the Eneloop with my old charger now.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 10:59:58 AM

Thanks Jzmtl. I feel safe to charge the Eneloop with my old charger now.

remember don't leave them in that charger and get hot! you'll kill their life span if they do. a battery tester or multi meter will tell you if they are fully charged.

Offline bobofish

Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 04:51:34 AM
What are the benefits of the eneloops over duracell rechargeables? I see the eneloops in Costco all the time, but I've already got a mess of duracells.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 07:37:56 AM
here's a thread for you to read about that bobfish; http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=189615&highlight=duracell
they say it all :)

let me know if you have any questions or problems  :cheers:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 02:37:29 PM
In short, the LSD batteries such as the Eneloops and Ray-O-Vac hybrids will only lose 15-20% of their charge per year in storage.  The high-capacity NiMH batteries such as the Duracells will lose up to 80% of their charge in 90 days of storage.

So, while the Duracells have a higher capacity, after a short period of time in storage the Eneloops would have much more charge than the Duracells.  If you use your batteries frequently and don't store them between charges, you will get more performance out of the Duracells.  If you store charged batteries even for a couple of weeks during use, the LSD type batteries should be used.
- Terry

Offline bobofish

Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 01:52:22 AM
Aha!
 :cheers:

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 03:09:30 AM
I have had bad luck with my Radioshack electronic batteries. Every time I go to use my wifes digital camera there dead. Plus, they don't charge right. I think I may buy her some nice Energizer ones soon..
B

Offline bobofish

Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 03:17:50 AM
That's funny; I've had people swear to me that the Radioshack batteries are the bee's knees, but every time I've used one they were junk.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 08:20:20 AM
I've never liked them, and have read their not good either.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 04:07:40 PM
I have had bad luck with my Radioshack electronic batteries. Every time I go to use my wifes digital camera there dead. Plus, they don't charge right. I think I may buy her some nice Energizer ones soon..

Energizer rechargeables have a terrible reputation, and my experience with them supports that.  They self-discharge quickly and don't allow nearly as many recharge cycles as they claim before they are toast.

If you want a great NiMH rechargeable, I highly recommend the newer LSD NiMH battery technology, as discussed above.  Sanyo Eneloops or Ray-O-Vac hybrids are both great choices.
- Terry

Offline bobofish

Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 12:28:10 PM
Off topic, I'm embarrassed to say that every time I read the word "eneloops" I think it's some kind of Dutch swearword.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 01:53:53 AM
I'm glad you said that- I always think they are Fruit Loops with caffeine added!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 04:02:25 AM
Eneloops are fantastic. The LSD technology has really helped out the rechargeable cause. They are now viable for use in flashlights and other low drain devices. Previously it was almost useless to use rechargeables in anything other than high drain products (digital cameras, portable games and CD players, etc.).

I thought that they only made Eneloops in AA but just found some AAA. A lot of things use AAA these days as they try to shrink everything down so you can barely even handle them! :ahhh

Now my AAA flashlights, remote controls, cordless mice, etc. have rechargeable batteries in them that won't drain to nothing after a couple of months.

Circuit City was the only place that carries the AAA Eneloops who actually had them in stock.

Calvin 
[

Offline bobofish

Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 08:09:21 AM
  :think:
I think Costco has an Eneloops set that has AA's and AAA's. Next time I swing by I'll try to remember to check.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 10:40:16 PM
I found some Ray O Vac "hybrid" LSD rechargeables the other day at Target. They had both AA & AAA in 4 packs. AAA LSD's seem kind of hard to find so I was happy to find them on the shelf. I picked up a pack that had 2 AA & 2 AAA with a charger for $10. I thought that was a pretty good deal, although the charger is probably a piece of garbage. :twak:

I had read some pretty good things about these Ray O Vacs but had never tried them. I'll give them a ride around the park and see how they match up against the Eneloops.

I also ordered this Eneloop Travel Pack. I'm really interested in trying out the C & D cell adapters.

They want $35 for it, but when I ordered mine yesterday they were only $30! ???

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012S5CSY

Calvin
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24