Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New +B Double Blade Carver

adobo · 40 · 4493

sg Offline adobo

on: January 13, 2013, 04:55:46 AM
SwissBianco Double Blade Carver

"The more it stays the same the less it changes"
-Spinal Tap

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Re: New +B Double Blade Carver
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:35:49 AM
Nice, but one of those blades needs to become a Warncliffe right away...

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:14:17 PM
Very nice indeed. But what's the point of having 2 identical blades? A Wharncliffe blade is probably substituted by the pruning blade well, so a serrated blade (such as the one from the Campingmesser) or even a surprise Sheepfoot serrated (from the Spirit). But since this is for carving, then the Spirit's combo Chisel/Scraper blade would be awesome. Yes, they aren't compatible with 93mm format but Victorinox could make one from scratch for herself or +B.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 12:37:52 PM
I was thinking Warncliffe because the model is called the Carver. You need a straight edge blade and the Warncliffe profile has a much finer point than a Sheepsfoot. This would give convex, straight and concave edges.
Serrations are pretty pointless on a whittling knife IMO.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 01:05:32 PM
They only make a 58mm Wharncliffe though. The belt cutter and gutting blades could be honed down to a Warncliffe and one could eliminate the serrations (Wenger doesn't use serrations).

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 02:07:31 PM
I've pulled a Florist knife apart and now have a chisel ground sheepsfoot blade looking for a home, I may end up doing something like this with it...  just need a Pioneer Harvester as a base knife to graft the blade into. (see what I did there? :) )

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 03:04:12 PM
 :drool:

I see it as a Harvester with a second large blade (which, by the way, is the tool implement that personally I like the most on 93 mm alox) in place of the cap opener/flat screwdriver combo. As I remember the Harvester was described by Victorinox as a SAK ready to cut through anything from wood to lineleum - well, this one has even more cutting edges :D

Very interesting tool combination taking advantage of the symmetrical ends of the 93 mm alox frame! And if I am not mistaken this is also the first factory assembled 93 mm Victorinox alox SAK with two large blades :ahhh

:gimme:

And again, I do not personally care or give too much importance to the assigned name; is the SAK that matters  :cheers:

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 03:11:16 PM
The two photos quoted at the beginning of this thread and much more information on this new SAK and its brothers can be found at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SwissBianco-Knives-Tools/114038305278036#!/pages/SwissBianco-Knives-Tools/114038305278036.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 05:03:46 PM
Very nice indeed. But what's the point of having 2 identical blades? A Wharncliffe blade is probably substituted by the pruning blade well, so a serrated blade (such as the one from the Campingmesser) or even a surprise Sheepfoot serrated (from the Spirit). But since this is for carving, then the Spirit's combo Chisel/Scraper blade would be awesome. Yes, they aren't compatible with 93mm format but Victorinox could make one from scratch for herself or +B.

I agree that one blade should be either the Wharncliffe or a serrated one.  That would be cool! :)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:12:30 PM
I made a Recruit into a carving knife by re-grinding the small blade into a Wharnecliff. It's brilliant.

No point of having two identical blades, IMO.

However, it's good that he's thinking of it. (or is he just using up some extra stock of blades he got from Papa Vic? ;) )
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 07:25:41 PM
As I see it this SAK is made with just standard current 93 mm line Victorinox parts and this is part of this beauty to me. There are no such things as serrated main blade or Wharncliffe blade for this line, unfortunately. I imagine if the SAK would be made with non standard, limited edition specially produced parts, even as little as applying serrations to the current large blades, its cost could become prohibitive. I think (just think for now because I just saw those tho photos, I did not had the chance to see the SAK for real) that I like this SAK as it is.

Now that I think of it I'd just want that it was made with two front scales (shields on both sides).

:cheers:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:36:16 PM by Marius »

de Offline crackout

Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 07:35:12 PM
As stated already, two blades only make sense if they're somehow different from each other.
Also, the new +B knives in copper with the red shield somehow miss the white outline of the logo. Without this "binding", it looks totally weird. :cry:
Say my name.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 07:41:41 PM
Well, for myself I will see how it is in real life when I will get one. As it is now from what I can see in the pics it definitely does not look weird to me, neither without sense. I was hoping for a 93 mm alox SAK with two large blades for quite some time (main blade for grunt work plus identical spare saved for more delicate jobs).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:18:24 PM by Marius »

de Offline crackout

Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 08:03:18 PM
I fiddled a double blade one together to see how it feels. Also, +B didn't post any closed views.

Keep in mind that I added scissors as the middle layer instead of a saw. But the principle is the same.
Say my name.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 08:09:57 PM
Very nice! Can you show us more detail photos of this assembly? What are your thoughts on seeing one such double large bladed SAK in "flesh"?

:tu:

de Offline crackout

Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 08:22:12 PM
It feels nicely. The second blade adds symmetry to construction.
It lacks the openers/pry tools though.

I already disassembled it again, but I have also this shot:

Say my name.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 08:25:06 PM
I think this is interesting. 

Due to the existing asymmetrical grind I'm not sure how good//true Wharncliff you could make out of the existing blade.  But certainly some might like to reprofile one blade for a specific task.

The two identical blades do have some utility if one uses their knife for many different tasks daily, allowing them to keep one blade 'more-sharp', or reserving one for food prep.

I need to think about it about more, and use one for a while to see if it has a general utility to it that I like.  I Can't wait to get more Copper Alox either way... as long as there are Modders to make adjustments it will always be a nice knife to have even if the current configuration does not work out.

They only make a 58mm Wharncliffe though. The belt cutter and gutting blades could be honed down to a Warncliffe and one could eliminate the serrations (Wenger doesn't use serrations).

They also make a 100mm Wharncliff blade that is quite nice.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 08:33:37 PM
I think this is interesting. 

Due to the existing asymmetrical grind I'm not sure how good//true Wharncliff you could make out of the existing blade.  But certainly some might like to reprofile one blade for a specific task.

The two identical blades do have some utility if one uses their knife for many different tasks daily, allowing them to keep one blade 'more-sharp', or reserving one for food prep.

I need to think about it about more, and use one for a while to see if it has a general utility to it that I like.  I Can't wait to get more Copper Alox either way... as long as there are Modders to make adjustments it will always be a nice knife to have even if the current configuration does not work out.

They also make a 100mm Wharncliff blade that is quite nice.

I thought about that too that you could keep one blade for food prep and one blade for all else.  Still would like a different blade style though! :)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 03:03:12 AM
Wenger at one time offered a Double Blade model with two main blades, one plain and one serrated and locking.

IMG_2666.JPG
* IMG_2666.JPG (Filesize: 55.4 KB)

gr Offline volbu

Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 03:14:26 AM
Its really annoying that none of the two brands have a functional whittler.
I mean wharncliffe or sheepfoot no back corkscrew, I have bought 2 recruits and when i get the time i ll try a slight small blade mod to make it what seems closest to a swiss army whittler!

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 03:32:19 AM
There was also my by-now-would-be-famous multi blade MiniChamp :D Yup, made in Ibach:

051_2502.JPG
* 051_2502.JPG (Filesize: 82.55 KB)
051_2509.JPG
* 051_2509.JPG (Filesize: 98.68 KB)
051_2513.JPG
* 051_2513.JPG (Filesize: 102.03 KB)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 05:50:21 AM
Wenger at one time offered a Double Blade model with two main blades, one plain and one serrated and locking.

I'm planning on doing something similar on a recruit frame

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 05:56:14 AM
I fiddled a double blade one together to see how it feels. Also, +B didn't post any closed views.

(Image removed from quote.)

Keep in mind that I added scissors as the middle layer instead of a saw. But the principle is the same.
What did you use a spins?  They appear to be standard slot bolts

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 11:12:47 AM
SwissBianco Double Blade Carver

For sculpting wood, a file or rasp would be handy!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 12:38:21 PM
It looks a bit too odd and pointless to me. As others have said, a wharnie (ground from a Electricians blade or DofE blade) would have made more sense  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 02:50:47 PM
DogE

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 02:51:35 PM
Sorry, Tapatalk problem. DofE=?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 02:55:39 PM
This perhaps?

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 03:05:36 PM
That's him! 91mm Version of the 84mm My First Victorinox .... with added garlic  :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD