Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Strange cut-out on my SideClip!

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Strange cut-out on my SideClip!
on: June 12, 2019, 09:49:20 PM
So I always wondered what the little cut out notch was for on my Leatherman SideClip. Read somewhere if was for some kind of adaptor...

Recently got my hands on what’s called the Leatherman Tool Adaptor. Nifty little plastic case holding an odd looking tool, and 6 standard 1/4-inch bits. The brown cardboard packaging looks like it came from the 1930’s but it’s probably mid-90s.

Originally designed for the PST, there’s a tab on the tool that normally locks under the handle, in the gap above the plier head. As the SideClip is thinner will a smaller gap, Leatherman stamped out a notch for the tab. Mystery solved.

This adapter Is far more robust that the newer flat-designed integrated bit adapters, and locks securely into the Leatherman with an in-line, 45- and 90-degree head option. It also takes any 1/4-inch bits as a bonus.

A fun (and quirky) bit of Leatherman history.  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Strange cut-out on my SideClip!
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 10:05:04 PM
 That is awesome!!
Barry

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 11:11:09 PM
Thanks Barry.  :hatsoff:
I’m sure Leatherman sold a lot of these, but many will have been lost/misplaced over the years. I’ve only ever seen a couple offered for sale in my country.

The one I have appears to be an older one with the tab. There’s a newer one reviewed here http://www.multitool.org/tools/leatherman/leatherman-universal-tool-adapter-review that seems to not have the tab and is more universal and fits later Leathermans.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 11:26:25 PM
Nice find, Max! :like:

CeHo sold me a NIB SideClip with an early NIB tool adapter last year(for an amazing price) and indeed it is quite awesome. The first version tool adapter from CeHo has a belt pouch that the plastic case rides in as well. They are quite rare, even in the U.S. The first version is a big collector's item. That is awesome you were able to find such a neat piece of MT history. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 11:36:52 PM
Thanks GLBM. It was part of the deal I did with the Leatherman Wave 20th Ann, MiniTool, SwissFlame, and the 2 SOS kits I recently got. Seller threw in the Tool Adapter and I only got to check it out today.  :facepalm:

Hoping to get some more items from this seller. Claims he has a Kershaw with pliers (hoping its an A100), an original SuperTool, NIB Crunch, SOG PowerPliers, Gerber something (he’s not sure) and a couple Charges. Will have to be selective as already  blown my budget on round 1 with the seller.  :popcorn:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 04:32:32 AM
 :like:

Some great tools you've acquired and will acquire at some point! :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 06:50:55 AM
Hoping to see him again today.  :popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:08:57 PM
The adapter is a great addition for a MT :cheers: I have the older version as well but when I bought mine they weren't as rare and could be had for a fair price on eBay :cheers: I have looked for the universal one quite a bit over the years and still have never found one at a price I am willing to pay :facepalm: :D

I hope that you are able to get more great tools from that seller as well, Max :like: :like: :like:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 12:31:13 PM
Thanks Poncho. Meeting confirmed so we’ll see!  :popcorn:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%