Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge sheaths

Offline Radrler

Charge sheaths
on: June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 AM
Alright, so I finally splurged on a Charge TTI. Got it for free, actually, since the store forgot to charge me, apparently. Still have to contact them about that...

Anyways, it’s all that and a bag of chips, but I encountered an unexpected problem: the tool is impossible to get out of the sheath if you use the bit kit as advertised. I had to leave the bit kit outside to restore the ease of access I’m used to. Is this a universal issue, or are there more accomodating sheaths out there?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Charge sheaths
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:17:46 PM
Which sheath did you get :think: most of the sheaths will fit tool and bit kit :shrug:

Congrats on the new Charge as well :cheers: :like: and pics :pok: :D

Offline Radrler

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:13:52 PM
Thanks, it's really something  :climber:

It's the default Leatherman sheath, I think. At least the new default Leatherman sheath. Now I'm not saying it's bad by any stretch of imagination. The extra sleeves give me room to carry stuff I didn't even know I needed. It's just that I'm used to grabbing my multi every few minutes for some quick work with pliers, but with the bit kit, it's all too dense. I have to spend precious seconds fumbling with the tool to get it out, instead of flipping it right out.

Yes, these are some massive first world problems...

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:25:54 PM
You could try getting the skinth sheath. Google for it. It's a bit pricy but I hear good things about them. Or u could get the older nylon sheath for the surge, using one for myself but some didn't like the velcro closure. Roomy but not that loose. Can fit 2 stack of bits easily. If u are in the states, LM selling the camo version for under $4 now. Congrats on the new Charge!  :like:

Offline raspeitia

• New User
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 12:39:46 AM
Thats the same one I have.

Here is a pic of mine. I have the pocket clip mounted on mine.

You have to put it in the sheath with the rounded side down.

With the "notched" side up, you put your fingers in the notches and pull up. Makes it easier to remove that way.

The sheath will loosen up after some use.

Hope that helps.
IMG_20190612_173148.jpg
* IMG_20190612_173148.jpg (Filesize: 300 KB)
IMG_20190612_173105.jpg
* IMG_20190612_173105.jpg (Filesize: 244.95 KB)

Offline Radrler

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 02:58:10 PM
You have to put it in the sheath with the rounded side down.

With the "notched" side up, you put your fingers in the notches and pull up. Makes it easier to remove that way.

Holy crap, that worked! Can’t believe I had to look online for help on using a sheath of all things, but whatever works, I guess.

Offline raspeitia

• New User
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 06:27:11 AM
Cool stuff.

BTW, since your's is new, I would suggest getting a can of this stuff :

3M 08897 Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type)

I got a little moisture on the can opener when I first got mine and it "blemished" it.

The dry type works great and its not oily. Spray it, wipe down any extra, then it dries out. Will keep it like new.

Tried ballistol, but it smells bad. don't want a stinky tool. WD40 is a bit oily.

Great tool. Enjoy!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 07:59:58 AM
 :iagree: +1 on the dry or drying silicone lubricant.

I use the 3in1 brand drying type and usually coat everything a few times before it gets put on my sweaty belt where my waist sweats on hot days so bad any sheath gets saturated.

That lubricant/rust preventative has even kept my old Gerber Pinchy spot free, and that tool lives in my back pocket where it gets sweat moisture on it everyday almost. My Charge, Wave, Surge, Free P4, MP600, Pinchy, and SwissTool(saw, file and pliers spot up - basically anywhere not high polished) are all spot free after using the drying silicone lubricant.

I retreat every few weeks on my EDC tools to make sure I stay ahead of the spotted multitool fever. Every tool in my collection has a coat of the stuff as well. Rust spots drive me absolutely insane, and good well-hardened stainless will spot up rather quickly for me without a treatment of drying silicone lubricant. :ahhh

Best of all, unlike petroleum based oils, the silicone stuff doesn't discolor satin finishes like Gerbers usually have. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%