Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Check it out! A new forum!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Check it out! A new forum!
on: January 15, 2013, 12:13:32 AM
I've wanted to do this one for a while!

Since cheapos outsell all of the major manufacturers, it seemed kind of silly to me that we didn't have a place to explore the dark and dingy underbelly of the multitool world!   >:D

Here's a cheapie to get us started....

The fact is, provided that you only want to use this set for bulky plier jobs, it's not a bad tool.

Of course, if you wanted to say tighten a screw or cut something you'd be pretty frustrated with this thing in a hurry.

Note the awesome scrutiny that Quality Control obviously places on this tool by the crooked 80's style puffy stickers and the rust spots despite only ever being out of a drawer long enough to get it's picture taken....

More threads a comin' so stay tuned.... or better yet, show off some of your not-show-off-ables!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Check it out! A new forum!
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 12:35:45 AM
Oh my God....

It's like a whole new section made just for me.

It's.... it's beautiful, man!!! :cry:

(sniffle)

My cheapos... all together in one crappy pile.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:38:24 AM
Lynn, you are the one that helped me push this place over the line and make it happen!  Until you came along there was very little support for cheapos, despite the fact that they aren't all bad.  Of course, the bad ones are the fun ones, but there are a lot of decent cheapos too.

I knew you'd appreciate this one!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 12:40:51 AM
BTW, I think I have that knife on the right.  The plier tool I pictured above was part of a seven or eight in one set of awful tools and Swiss type knives.  My mother in law gave it to me for Christmas a number of years ago.  There was a crescent wrench with fold out tools in the handles as well.

Horrible set and I'm not certain most of them survived the rigors of living in a drawer, and believe it or not the one I pictured above was the best of the bunch!

Def

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 12:46:59 AM
Yeah, I bought the Sheffield at the top of the picture, the knife, the silver swiss knock-off (used to have those ugly puffy red stickers), and my totally beloved Sheffield 12010 for $16 at a pawn shop. The PST knock-off (Sheffield 1200E) is the best copy I've encountered. The knife isn't actually bad. That SAK knock-off is TERRIBLE.

Thanks for the kind words. I grew up seriously poor, and it kind of hurts to think there might be poor kids out there not willing to show off their tools, talk about them, learn and grow, for fear of 'tool snobs'. I think most of us universally agree that most any tool is better than no tool.

Do you plan (or are you able) to pull the already-existing cheapo MT thread into here?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 12:57:31 AM
Send me links to whatever you think should be in here and I (or another moderator) would be happy to assist you.  :D

I may not have grown up poor, but I've been making up for it in my adult life!  :P

Seriously though, I have often thought we were becoming brand snobs (and in many cases we are) despite there being a liberal helping of cheapos and off brands being discussed here.  Hopefully this will bring the other end of the spectrum into the light.  I am quite fascinated by some cheapos, and while I do not condone the theft of someone else's intellectual property, if it happens and we don't talk about it we are doing the tool using world a major disservice.

Def

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 01:00:19 AM
Very cool!  Lynn, it's your own personal MT.O playground!  ;)  I have some cheapos laying around here, gotta get some pics up.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:13:28 AM
Nice, I have one or two that I could do a review on. Great idea, Def. :salute:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 01:45:50 AM
Excellent idea, Grant.  :2tu:

If only had kept the cheapies that I tossed out a moving car or into the trash bin. Could of posted their devious pics here. So for now, just have to say GREAT IDEA!

:nothingtoadd:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Offline ozarkcajun

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 02:15:10 AM
You never know. With China, or other Asian countries making so much of what we buy, there maybe a brand or two that "aren't a bad little tree, Charlie Brown". Hoping this will be an interesting forum!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 02:41:52 AM
Excellent idea, Grant.  :2tu:

If only had kept the cheapies that I tossed out a moving car or into the trash bin. Could of posted their devious pics here. So for now, just have to say GREAT IDEA!

:nothingtoadd:

Next time you want to huck a multitool out the window of a moving car, be sure to film it because I'd sure like to see that!  :D

You never know. With China, or other Asian countries making so much of what we buy, there maybe a brand or two that "aren't a bad little tree, Charlie Brown". Hoping this will be an interesting forum!!!!

There's a lot of good stuff coming out of the Orient- MultiTasker tools are made there and I'd put their quality up against Leatherman any day of the week.  The design may have issues, but the manufacturing is top notch.  Ditto for some Spydercos.

Look at how intricate a printed circuit is:

Most of those come from China- are you suggesting that they can make those by the millions but the fifty or so pieces that go into a multitool are beyond them?  :D

The fact is, Asian manufacturers are more than capable of making things at least as, if not higher quality than anyone else- they just don't because that's not the stuff we buy by the truckload.  We are more responsible for cheap crap coming out of Asia than the Asians are.   :facepalm:

Def

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 03:01:37 AM
I agree with that 100% Def.  Case in point - my two favorite pocket MTs are Chinese made Gerbers, the Octane and the Balance.  Rough Rider knives make a regular appearance in my pocket.  All day today my folder was an Enlan L01.  I have lots of folders, but that's the one I chose and have no problem doing it.  There are a lot of good quality Chinese made tools and knives out there.  It took me a long time to realize that, and it sucks in a way, because I was really missing out.  Take a look at my Chinese folder collection thread in the Edged Tools forum.  I can take any of those knives and use them all day without any performance issues.  To me how well something works is more important than where it was built.  I've had my share  of US made duds on many fronts.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 03:09:29 AM
I couldn't agree more- that's why starting this particular subforum was important to me.  I don't know why I didn't do it sooner- just lazy I guess....

Def

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 05:25:29 AM
I saw this and thought, a new subforum! tis magic! :D
hi

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 06:16:51 AM
A Mega Like for this new forum !  :multi:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 08:09:19 AM
I told people several times that a lot more people carry a cheap no-name multitool/knife/torch rather than any of the branded ones that we have forums for but they just do not listen..
As you said we need a place for the rest (the majority really) apart from the General forum that was the only option until now.

I have a few reviews or threads relating to cheaper stuff that could be linked (no point moving them I think as they are in the proper review section) here.

I am just not that happy with the Cheap and Cheerful title... sounds   cheap   :D

Maybe the title could change so as to embrace other not cheap but lesser known tools, like the Buck, Schrade etc...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 08:20:17 AM
I am just not that happy with the Cheap and Cheerful title... sounds   cheap   :D

Maybe the title could change so as to embrace other not cheap but lesser known tools, like the Buck, Schrade etc...
I love the idea of this new forum, but tend to agree re the title. "Cheap and Cheerful" still has a slight odour of brand snobbery to me.  I'll suggest "Budget and No-name tools" as a title, but others can probably come up with something better ?

I have quite a few tools that definitely fit into this category, but not all are rubbish by a long shot.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 08:42:31 AM
Scrap Yard and Other Oddities
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 12:36:09 PM
The Mods and I went over and back again for a name for this forum and this was the best we'd come up with.  If folks want to submit names we could vote on them and the winner would get.... what else, a cheap tool!  :D

My original plan was to call it Cheap & Nasty, but as the forum was motivated in a large part by Lynn's posts the mods thought that was a bit insulting to her!   :ahhh

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 12:39:41 PM
"Others"

"Alternative Multitools"

"Tools with no Fan base"

"Tools for regular people"

"Various"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 12:45:12 PM
I think Budget & Off-Brand Tools does sound better than Cheap and Cheerful. Not only would that provide a home for the likes of the popular Utilikey, but also for tools like the Wichard slip-joint pliers tool .... which isn't actually very cheap at all  :-\

Or we could just call it Lynn's Lair  :P :D :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 01:01:06 PM
I used to work at a store where we sold a pretty nice multiplier, with wood grain handles, list price $19.99. we put them on sale for $9.99. Our cost was $2.88.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:05:39 PM by Landrew »

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 01:14:25 PM
Chinese tools are as good as they have to be, nothing more. If someone is willing to buy them at a certain price for a certain quality, that's the quality they will be. If higher quality is required, higher quality is delivered.  It's not a matter of what they can or can't manufacture; they have been able to manufacture basically anything.  They are on-track to land people on the moon, last i heard.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 03:46:11 PM
He wouldn't listen to me about the name... ::)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 04:20:24 PM
I listened to all of you.... that's why its not called Cheap & Nasty!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 10:49:49 PM
My original plan was to call it Cheap & Nasty, but as the forum was motivated in a large part by Lynn's posts the mods thought that was a bit insulting to her!   :ahhh

:rofl:

Oh, man... is it still insulting if it's true?  :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 11:27:14 PM
Hey, check me out!  I'm the guy over here, not making any comments!  Yup, I'm not touching that one!

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 05:29:24 PM
A thread that people may not be aware of that is within the spirit of this sub-forum:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,13689.0.html

The Great "inspired tools" thread..

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 05:46:52 PM
Good call on that.
 :tu:

I just came across a juice-alike, and wondered if it was worth the $20 it was listed for.

Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 09:28:34 AM
Know what I like best about this forum? It does not reply on that stupid Adobe Flash. :twak: Lately it seems about every 5 minutes that I get notified on 90% of the other web sites that damned thing has crashed yet again!

About the only thing Adobe Flash is useful here is the YouTube videos.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%