Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kung Fu Grip? No, MASTERGRIP!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Kung Fu Grip? No, MASTERGRIP!
on: January 15, 2013, 12:53:21 AM
When you can take the pebble from my hand, only then will you be ready to gaze upon the wonders that is the Master Grip!

Ok, I'll show you anyway...

My brother gave me this one as part of a set.  It had this tool, a cheapo Mini Mag Lite copy and a cheapo Helios lighter copy and a giant pouch to put them in.

To be honest, this is perhaps my favorite cheapo, and I've had it longer than MTO has been around.  It was probably the first cheapo pictured here!  I like this one a lot because it has a few interesting features that I'd like to see on some major branded tools- for example, that dark stuff is actually a rubberized coating.  I doubt it has any insulative qualities (you know, since the metal plat on the outside is bolted to the metal handles) but it does make for a very comfortable handle.

Also, the contoured handles are quite comfortable to use as pliers, although they are quite bulky.  Not as bulky as the Suspension (and it's clones) or the Lansky and it's clones, so really, despite barely having a name of it's own, it holds it's own.

As I said, it has some great features- the rubber handles being one and the other being that really neat wrench implement inside.  Seriously, isn't that more useful than a half dozen freakin' flatheads?  Are you listening People Of Oregon?   :pok:

That is actually really sweet.  I have used it a few times, and I'll tell you, it's a nice backup to the pliers.

Of course, if you look closely at the photo of all the tools sticking out you may notice the complete lack of thought that went into this tool as well- for example, the can opener redundancy...

Maybe they have different types of cans in China, where this one was made that necessitate two similar but slightly different can openers?  Maybe they have no bottles that need to be opened in that same region?  Either way, almost every can here is a pull top so this just makes the can opener function twice as useless to me!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Kung Fu Grip? No, MASTERGRIP!
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 01:07:40 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

Hmm... put a closed-in wrench in there like the Piranha or PocketWrench II has.

Just a thought ... Wonder if a the bit exchanger could withstand the torque for something like that on a Surge?
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:18:31 AM
That was my thought too Jim.  So far I think only CRKT has tried to actually put something like that on a full sized tool, but it's not a plier based tool.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 01:38:59 AM
Now an opening end adjuster might work great for those times with the battery terminal nut needs tightened, or removed for a quick & dirty cleaning.
Plier jaws will mar the surface of the nut and closed-in adjustable wrenches are just too bulky. Though everyone should have wrenches in their car's toolbox you'd be surprised how many damsels or elderly just don't have them and you are no where near your toolbox.

Was one of the many reasons was thinking of putting a crescent wrench on the end of a Skeletool.
There's three spring layers there. am sure Leatherman's developers could extend that and put an adjuster in the middle, then rivet the thing closed.

Have been searching for a small/medium alloy crescent wrench to EDC.

There is a need, just no one has designed one. They too busy trying to copy one another and dodge patents to be creative. Alas, we have MTO Modders to save us from that!  :clap:
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 02:18:20 AM
Yeah, sadly that does seem to be the common theme.  Luckily after our modders go to the effort of redesigning some things, somehow those changes go into production.  It's an amazing coincidence!  :D

I'd like to see something similar to the fold out wrenches on bike tools, but slightly larger for use on more than just bikes.  Perhaps a larger one like you say might be useful as a car tool- size wouldn't be as important when it lives in a glove compartment.

Def

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 02:48:46 AM
SAK is relatively new territory for me. Just happened to notice they have a Universal Wrench on some of their heavier ($65+) ranged knifes. If the Swiss can do it, am sure the Canadian modders here can!

Miss the Evil510 fella, he was good at mods too.

Edit: Found a better photo
WengerWrench.JPG
* WengerWrench.JPG (Filesize: 85.7 KB)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:07:47 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 02:55:31 AM
It's available on smaller models too, but most of them are disco'd. :( It's a good tool for smaller nuts, but 6-8mm would be the most it can grip.

Here's a pic next to a PW2.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 03:00:31 AM
Apart from being good only for smaller nuts, the wrench has a fatal flaw: the width of the implements on both of its sides plus the width of the scales, make it impossible to use it for nuts that are flush with the surface they hold, which means the vast majority of nuts of this size (at least as far as I know). I wouldn't mind dangling just the wrench from my keys though, as a makeshift Atwood of sorts... ;)

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 03:10:33 AM
Take that Pocket Wrench and put an open end wrench of the other side. Huzzah, Pocket Wrench III is borne!
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%