Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Good and Used versus New and Crappy

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Good and Used versus New and Crappy
on: January 15, 2013, 01:28:58 AM
I suppose this will inevitably come up.

For the cash strapped, is it better to get new but cheap tools they can afford, or try to get second hand but higher quality tools?

I don't want to sound too much like an advertisement for Felinevet's EDCSource shop, but it's hard to see gently used real swiss army knives for under $10 shipped (in the U.S.) and tell someone to buy a cheap chinese knock-off for $5. Fewer tools on the knife, but tools that are all reliable.

As a counter point... I don't think you can get anything near an actual leatherman PST for under maybe $15. So... sometimes you gotta make a hard choice I guess.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Good and Used versus New and Crappy
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:07:22 AM
Myself, I'd much rather buy a good used tool than a crappy new one.  Think of it this way.  If it lasted and worked well for the previous owner, than it will probably do the same for the new owner.

Honestly, now the only time I would buy cheap and new would be if I was in a bind and needed something that I could use and toss if something bad were to happen to it.

I love going to flea markets just to see what good old tools I can come home with.  (that doesn't sound right in my head  :think: )

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 02:10:33 AM
It depends on the tool really.  I have some SAK knockoffs that are a great bargain for under $10 and I have some SAK knockoffs that are a horrible train wreck for under $10.  I had one where, no word of a lie, I tried using the screwdriver and the rivet popped out and the whole thing literally fell apart in my hand.  On the other hand I had one of those SAK knockoffs with the Q on the scale with a star in it that I carried and used for a number of years until I lost it.

I generally suggest that someone goes with a better name brand, even if it is used simply because I know the quality doesn't vary on those ones, which with a cheapie they are all over the map in terms of function and usability.  That's if someone else is looking for a tool.  For myself I am a bit more daring because I have a few other tools to fall back on if the cheapo fails.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:42:15 AM
IMO based on "tool" tools,  spanners, screwdrivers, sockets etc. I'd rather have a second hand "quality" brand item than a new piece of junk. Especially when the quality gear often comes with a lifetime warranty. I've picked up "worn out" Snap-On spanners and sockets at times and returned them to a dealer for exchange to a new one.

having said that, there is a place for "disposable" multi-tools. Those of middling quality and economical enough to be no great loss if it gets dropped overboard or falls out of a pocket/backpack as you roll gracefully into the scrub after coming off your dirtbike. (just a random example that "may" have happened to "a friend of mine"... honest).
You know, like anything Gerber ever made.  :P  (puts on flame-proof suit)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:38:22 AM
just a random example that "may" have happened to "a friend of mine"... honest.

:rofl: :tu: Awesome.

Also, I think your point is solid here. Throwing in a cheap MT in a tacklebox, or other place with high likelihood of loss is probably a good idea, and one I've stated before myself. I make this point particularly about young kids getting tools. They tend to lose them. It's also a good option for folks who just don't know how useful a tool may be. The current discussion on the Leatherman Crunch clone is a good example. Interesting design, may not know how to fit it into a 'system', or if its something they like, so if you get a less expensive version, and it's no good for you, you're not out much. If oyu love the idea, you could then step up to the full cost version.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:58:32 AM
People tend to like new tools, rather than used.

For a used one you really need to check it well or know the seller as branded tools can be broken too.

It also depends on your budjet. Ganzo, for example, makes some decent multitools for around $20. So does Gerber. So there are some cheap but decent tools around too. Also Bahco etc.

If you want a $100 tool function you may not find it for $5. If you need $15 then you may find something decent enough for $5.

However, if you have the $5 then you should/may be able to find the $15 somehow too.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:38:07 AM
I'd have no problem buying s'hand if I can actually see and touch the tool before purchase.

However my experiences buying s'hand tools on-line has been mixed.  From reputable sellers (eg MTO members) no problems at all, but eBay not always so good.

A while back I purchased a s'hand crunch once that was rated as "very good" by the seller, the seller had good feedback but the photos were somewhat "indistinct" so I couldn't get a decent look at the working edges. When the tool arrived it was filthy, the tip of the knife had been broken off and the wire cutting edges on the pliers had been abused so badly the pliers locked up when you closed them. After some serious work with a diamond file it was at least acceptable, but I have learnt a lesson.

Sometimes even buying "new" doesn't guarantee a perfect tool.  I bought a "new, unused" LM Wave from a different eBay seller last year.  When it arrived it had minor damage to the small screwdriver and the PE knife. The seller was most apologetic and offered to take it back, but he seemed a good guy so I just re-sharpened it and put a new small screwdriver in it.  After investigation it turned out his teenage son admitted to "playing with" the tool while it was stored :(

So my advice is to check out anything s'hand very carefully, and if you have any doubts at all ask specific questions about corrosion and cutting edges in particular, and close-up photos are very useful.

That said, there are sometimes opportunities to save significant money buying s'hand if you are patient.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:11:00 PM
just a musing on this subject, i may have posted this in the wrong place though.
It's very hard here in the UK to find 'pre-loved' multis or SAK these days as E-bay is a non-starter, and even a lot of bootfairs or second hand shops frown on 'deadly weapons' :facepalm:
anyhoo I often wonder how many VERY nice (un-used and undervalued) tools are sitting in bedside draws or tool boxes of the 'uneducated' ? people who have recieved them as 'gifts', for xmas or birthdays maybe ? I have found some relatives who own stuff they had no love for, but it's hard to bring up in conversation "have you got any....?", specially to folks who have no interest in "pen knives".
how could we release this potential source of goodness back into the community and loving homes ?

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 01:13:35 PM
p.s. be very carefull about talking to 'outsiders' about SAK or 'multis', they don't understand us ! and once you've talked to some people about them you'll get C*@p cheepo tools for EVERY xmas  :whistle:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 01:17:28 PM
 :rofl: That's for sure!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 01:21:56 PM
p.s. be very carefull about talking to 'outsiders' about SAK or 'multis', they don't understand us ! and once you've talked to some people about them you'll get C*@p cheepo tools for EVERY xmas  :whistle:

Be carefull when you mention your SAK... some people may not be that keen to see it. 

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 01:27:54 PM

Be carefull when you mention your SAK... some people may not be that keen to see it. 

... even if you can open a beer with it ...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 01:32:47 PM
Reminds me of a show I saw several years ago in Thailand..  :facepalm:

gb Offline Philby

Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 02:26:07 PM
Taxidad, I've found good used leatherman on gumtree here in the UK, at the moment there's a crunch going for £50, also Preloved has several on offer.  Still doesn't make up for the eBay situation!

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 02:31:26 PM
Definately used,but good. I could have bought a noname slipjoint, but for the same price I got a Swisstool.
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 03:41:18 PM
Good and used every time for me. I know what to expect for what I'm paying.

I have bought nearly of all my tools second hand, some at absolutely bargain prices and I've been happy with doing it this way :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 03:55:53 PM
Well .... the problem in my mind (or one of them  :P ) is you don't really know if it's crappy until AFTER you bought it  :think: I'll buy/try anything, and so long as it does the job and suits my requirements, the price, name, and whether it was new or not is irrelevant  :) Many people around these parts would think a Pulse is the best thing ever ... I hated it, I'd rather have a MP400 ... which I'm sure many Pulse lovers would detest. There's a good cluster of cheap and effective tools out there lurking in the sea of desperately bad ones ... and there's some really bad stuff you can pay a fortune for. If you're on a budget it's vastly more critical to get something that works for you and that you can rely on, rather than just looking at the price tag, but at the same time that doesn't mean you have to sell a kidney or that the higher price tag tool will be better for you

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 10:28:44 AM
 This one definitely falls into the cheap and crappy category.  $5 from a local hardware chain. It lives in my desk drawer at work and is fine for very light duty as a pair of pliers but I don't think I'd try to use the cutters on them in anger. As for the rest of the tools... :rofl: EVERY edge is completely rounded off from over polishing including the ends of the screwdrivers. I'm surprised they didn't polish it after sharpening the knife blades.
Honestly there is nothing in it that is any use other than the pliers and they are totally marginal.
The file is a real hoot... the teeth are about as effective as if they had been printed on!

As a $5 tool it's worth about $3.50.

Next to a LM micra for comparison.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44