Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not-bad cheapos

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Not-bad cheapos
on: January 15, 2013, 04:46:41 AM
I thought it might be good to do a thread of MT knock-offs that aren't all that bad.

The first one I'd recommend is the Sheffield 1200 (or 1200E), a Leatherman PST clone, currently about $12 with shipping from amazon (in the U.S.)

The only difference from a PST is that the file of the PST is replaced with a combo fish scaler/file. The file on it is not bad, better than most knock-offs, but nowhere near the level of the PST. Tool retention and clumping is completely based on the tightness of the pins/rivets holding the thing together. It also has a spring in the plier head, one of the external kind which could be removed (or accidentally lost).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=Sheffield+1200E

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Re: Not-bad cheapos
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:14:03 AM
Ah I used to have a Taiwan-made PST knock-off. It was my first ever pliers-based multitool and had my brother lose it for me a long time ago... ::) Then I had no idea of PSTs and Leatherman and so on, as I was leaving in the land of slipjoints and a Vic Ambassador was the closest I had gotten to a mt. For all I know, it could well have been some obscure PST version, as the only reason I have to believe it was not a geniune LM is that I don't remember seing LM written anywhere on it. I do remember buying it for something like 6000 GRD at the time (~€17, but that was more than two decades ago). It never failed me, nor my clumsy spec-ops brother, never broke or anything. :salute: PST-clone wherever you may be.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:20:07 AM
Not knock-offs but cheap.

I have two Bahcos that actually get more use than my "good" tools.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-MTT8674-MTT-8674-14pc-Multi-Tool/dp/B000Y8K6CA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358233996&sr=8-1

Also Ganzo is decent. (see Exduct) they make a lot of the cheaper tools you see.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Philby

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 01:59:39 PM
I was tempted by this original supertool lookylikey seen on the german amazon site http://www.amazon.de/Herbertz-112800-Tool/dp/B00025Z89G/ref=sr_1_1?=UTF8&qid=1358253866&sr=8-1 there is also a review of this very tool on YouTube in French?  Looks pretty solid, my French is a bit merde, but I think the overall review is "good for the price/good cheap alternative".  German amazon is generally pretty good for tools, I bought a brand new ss cc pst a few months ago for €50, was tempted to get more but as more were sold the price has creeped up to €65!  If anyone's interested there is one left( http://www.amazon.de/Leatherman-61010103H-PST-I/dp/B000065UE9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358254360&sr=8-1)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 07:04:57 PM
Hmmm

I'm not entirely convinced by this new strategy.

Yes, I do have have a dozen or so of these third party MT and SAK's and yes the silverline clone of the crunch is actually quite good. But please not's let get carried away here.

Before christmas, whilst out picking up last minute stocking fillers I picked up 2 items a True Utility and a Draper Brand SAK - the pair came in at under £6.00.

Well it was £6.00 wasted in my view,  I should've treated myself to a McDonalds instead, pure junk in every sense of the word, absolute trash. I'm not too bothered that I wasted £6 - It's the fact that they go to such extremes of actually manufacturing it when it doesn't actually work. Both the items I purchased looked great, hence why I bought them. But then once removed from the packaging the lateral play in almost all the tools is annoying to say the least, The liner lock that actually doesn't lock is also annoying etc etc etc.

So why bother. As I use tools for a living I realise the importance of quality tools - i.e it gets the job done, that's why it was purchased in the first place. I see no reason whatsoever why I would want to fill a box with shiny/pretty but ultimately pointless stuff that in all probability no one would want to buy if I were to try to sell on. In short just a total waste of money in my view.
As the saying goes "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear".
The cheapest vic's start at around a tenner  including free postage, so I just don't see the sense in kidding yourself.
But that's all my own personal view and that's what this forums about hopefuly.
Each to their own...yeah?? 
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:39:08 PM
There are some real abhorations out there, but there are some very good cheap little nothings that will get your average Joe out of a fix when there's nothing else to hand. OK, you might not be able to take a door off, plane 1/4" off the bottom and rehang it, or open up the mortice to fit a new lock  :D but nip up that loose screw on the BBQ, pull that rogue blackthorn twig out of your shoe, finish opening that tin of soup when the handle broke off your domestic can opener part way through, or get inside a clampack (the scourge of the 21st century  :P ).

The £10 Crunch clone is an excellent example of tools out there for whom the (UK) price of an original is the best part of a month's food shopping, or who can't bring themselves to pay big brand prices for any reason. There's plenty of folks out there who'll snatch up a brand new Mistubishi L200 to nip to the shops in, or Rangerover for taking the kids to school, but there's probably more folks interested in nabbing an old Fiesta that'll give 'em 12 months running without too much trouble. I think there's plenty of room for both ends of the spectrum to be embraced  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:09:30 PM
I've heard that parts of the Wingman ans Sidekick are made in China. Say it ain't so.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 08:13:21 PM
some minor parts of most LM tools are made out of the US.
That is why they are not allowed to stamp USA on their tools anymore.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:24:49 PM
I think it's moved on from "where" to "how" these tools were made.

Plenty of a-grade stuff being made in China and the far east, and your house is probably full of it even if you don't buy tools from there knowingly.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline nelson

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 09:18:32 PM
The Crunch clone is a rare case of a cheapo I'd recommend as its a speSmurfpillsed tool at a good price. I went down the road of buying a couple of tools like the True ones mentioned then gave them away, utter junk, I really enjoy having a good piece of engineering in my hand that I can trust so it was pointless buying them as I'm not really a collector, I was just curious.

However, I love reading about the cheap tools, reasonable or really bad, just to appreciate how good LM/SOG/VIC etc are and to try to understand the thought process that goes in to making them.

One of my favourite car sites has hundreds of pages of home built cars people have made over the years in their back yards as they try to realise that supercar dream. I'd never want to own most of them, but I try really hard to squint and blur the image in my mind to see what in heck the guy was thinking about when he built it.

BTW the Herbertz tool doesn't look the worst.
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 10:46:30 PM
Beware the backdoor knock-offs. They are usually based on technology stolen from legitimate products, but since they don't have to meet any specific standard, so they can be made of substandard materials.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 11:09:00 PM
I think this forum can serve a very useful purpose by telling everyone of our experiences (good and bad) with budget tools we can better choose the good'uns and avoid the rubbish  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 11:27:58 PM
I think this forum can serve a very useful purpose by telling everyone of our experiences (good and bad) with budget tools we can better choose the good'uns and avoid the rubbish  :tu:

That was the whole reason behind starting Multitool.org in the first place!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 07:04:48 AM

That was the whole reason behind starting Multitool.org in the first place!

Def

I though it was so as to become an internet billionaire   :whistle:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 12:20:18 PM
If that was the original intent then I've failed so badly I wouldn't admit that was the reason!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 02:34:48 AM
If that was the original intent then I've failed so badly I wouldn't admit that was the reason!   :ahhh

Def

Such modesty shown

It's okay Def, we appreciate you're still prepared to hang out with us plebs.

What time's Tee-off with what's-his-name...microsoft boy?? - Bill !!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 02:49:13 AM
You got me... I'm really a multi-dollar-aire....

Def

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 02:51:30 AM
You got me... I'm really a multi-dollar-aire....

It's all about the Washingtons, Bay-Beee!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 03:34:42 AM
Paper money?  Nope, our dollar is called a loonie and it's in coin form...

Def

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 03:52:12 AM
Paper money?  Nope, our dollar is called a loonie and it's in coin form...

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
We used to laugh, but it's worth 1.01408 USD.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 09:33:36 PM
I think I'd add the Sheffield 12707 to the list of 'Not Bad' cheapos...

Here's my review.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42238.0.html

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 09:41:51 PM
This is a wise topic, because not all cheapos are bad.  Although it's generally true that you get what you pay for, occasionally you can get more than you pay for.

Overseas manufacturers can sometimes utilize resources at a lower cost, and with the proper incentives, they can produce good quality for a much lower price than is the norm.  Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, as long as the net benefit is positive in the bigger picture.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 10:00:59 PM
Oftentimes you pay for more than you get too.  There are more than a few higher end tools that I don't believe are near anywhere near as much money as they sell for.

Def

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 10:02:32 PM
Oftentimes you pay for more than you get too.  There are more than a few higher end tools that I don't believe are near anywhere near as much money as they sell for.

Def
So true...

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 10:19:52 PM
I kept seeing the Victorinox Spirit X for around $75. I thought it looked GREAT, but I'm not dropping that much on any MT... probably ever.

Then, it came on sale last year at about $45. THAT was a price I was willing to pay. And at that price, I am THRILLED with it. I think I'd be a good deal less thrilled if it'd cost me $75. I think most tools have a price point where they're worth it. Most. Not all. Some aren't worth their weight in sand.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 05:01:48 AM
Some aren't worth their weight in sand.

Agreed. "Cheapened-by-Taylor Schrade Tough Tool", I'm giving you a foul look (not the USA versions, they're good tools).  If the old Gerber MTs are nicknamed "Mr Pinchy" then these POS should be called "Mr Bendy" or maybe "Mr Utter, Utter Rubbish"  >:(

I'm keeping mine just to remind me how something that looks OK in photos can be a total disappointment when you actually get your hands on it.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 07:35:23 AM
I'm keeping mine just to remind me how something that looks OK in photos can be a total disappointment when you actually get your hands on it.

Online dating....    :D :D

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 11:03:01 AM

Online dating....    :D :D

LOL

Well don't stop now!!
Tell us... :rofl:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 11:09:42 AM
Not me, but a girl I knew used to post pictures of her head only, and from a special angle, online on a dating site, for obvious reasons. Also made herself appear to have a personality.

She was succesfull in her persuits, as by the time they met it was too late...

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 11:17:51 AM
Not me, but a girl I knew used to post pictures of her head only, and from a special angle, online on a dating site, for obvious reasons. Also made herself appear to have a personality.

She was succesfull in her persuits, as by the time they met it was too late...
Ah yes, even a cheapo date can have some value.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%