Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC-1

Offline 209brian

EDC-1
on: January 15, 2013, 02:49:06 PM
Looks like it's for real. 
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2013/01/15/emerson-multitasker-edc/
I want it...for about a third of the cost.

Thoughts?

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: EDC-1
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:54:35 PM
Don't worry, Gerber will copy it soon.  :D
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
EDC-1
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:02:37 PM
Don't worry, Gerber will copy it soon.  :D
Why Gerber..? :think: I think it's leatherman, who's been most "inspired" by others this last year..

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:52:24 PM
That is a very sweet Emerson. The price isn't even as bad as I thought it would be.
--
'Buzz

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:10:47 PM
Speaking of which, are they at Multitasker still working on a civilian version of their multi? Or is it already there and did I missed it?

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:47:51 PM
Still working on one afaik. They should also come out with an Emerson pliers-based tool some time in the near future...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 12:22:22 AM
We saw a prototype of that one last year but we weren't allowed to talk about it.  I like it, but yeah, I wasn't too excited when I heard about the price tag, especially when you consider that like all MultiTaskers, it will be made in China.  While I personally don't have any hangups about the quality of items made in China, I do think that if you are benefiting from low cost of manufacturing you should probably pass that on to the customer.

Of course, it is inexpenssive by comparison- remember Surefire's attempt to get into the tool/knife market?

$400!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 12:25:10 AM
What now?? What's that fancy knife about then? :o
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:42:05 AM
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 07:37:26 AM
Looks cool, but a little rich for my blood.  I mean really, $180 ??? ::)
K-Tibbs

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 12:18:54 PM
It's an Emerson.  Ernie Emerson single handedly started the entire tactical knife industry.  One handed opening, black blades, pocket clips are all Ernie's ideas.

Most of his knife range are a little bit on the pricey side so he really couldn't offer a new knife with more features than the latest CQC model and be significantly cheaper.

Def

spam Offline sak-collector

EDC-1
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 01:18:37 PM
It's an Emerson.  Ernie Emerson single handedly started the entire tactical knife industry.  One handed opening, black blades, pocket clips are all Ernie's ideas.

Most of his knife range are a little bit on the pricey side so he really couldn't offer a new knife with more features than the latest CQC model and be significantly cheaper.

Def

I think the Spyderco folks might not agree with that :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 01:44:16 PM
"I wasn't too excited when I heard about the price tag, especially when you consider that like all MultiTaskers, it will be made in China.  While I personally don't have any hangups about the quality of items made in China, I do think that if you are benefiting from low cost of manufacturing you should probably pass that on to the customer".

Def

That's exactly my beef too.
EXACTLY!!
 :rant:  :mn:  :rant:

We get hit so hard here in the UK. Grrrr...
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Re: EDC-1
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 01:54:16 PM

Def

I think the Spyderco folks might not agree with that :)

That may or may not be, but I think a large part of that particular argument stems more from the rivalry between Benchmade and Spyderco than from any actual facts.  I'm sure both camps can appreciate what Ernie Emerson contributed whether he was the originator or not.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 02:37:36 PM

Def

Oh I see.  I wasn't aware of the history there.  Thanks for the info man :tu: :salute:  I have a lot to learn about the history of multitools/SAKs, etc.   :ahhh
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 02:41:35 PM
$180? If they are made in china Im going to guess they have a rich profit margin on them then.

Im not a tactical knife guy at all, but people that Ive talked to that are tell me that Emerson used to be 'da bomb' high end super awesome, but now the stuff they make is lower quality and mostly riding on their good name to sell their stuff now.  I really don't know if that's the case at all, but then again tactical knives dont excite me at all.  Pocket knives and fixed blades knives handle my needs, I never needed anything in the middle.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 03:24:40 PM
I don't own any newer Emersons, but I would doubt very much that is the case since Ernie actually walked away from Benchmade for that exact reason.

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 03:31:13 PM
It looks far more tacticool than useful to me. I'm guessing that even a "civilian" version of a tool from them is going to have a similar philosophy

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 03:49:24 PM
Multitasker's EDC and Emerson pliers-based tools are the only two tools I'm waiting for. A prototype of the latter was presented in the last Blade Show (although pics had hit the news quite a while earlier). If they go for around $100-ish (street price) and add scissors to the tool loadout, I can totally see one of these contending with my Spirit for pocket time. :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 04:54:21 PM
I don't own any newer Emersons, but I would doubt very much that is the case since Ernie actually walked away from Benchmade for that exact reason.

Def

Well I'd try one if the street price is lower than the MSRP... We'll see when they come out I guess. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

EDC-1
Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 10:38:58 PM
Not to drag the point on, but as a matter of interest, Emerson came along in the 90s. Spyderco introduced the "worker" model in 1981 with clip carry and one hand opening. Don't know if Emerson did anything knife-wise before starting his company.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 11:01:00 PM
Hmm it's growing on me.  I like the long phillips driver, stubby ones fail me more often than not to reach what I want. 

What is the 'wave' feature of the blade they are talking about?

Emerson Multitasker Prototype SHOT Show 2013

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Re: EDC-1
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 11:05:32 PM
Not to drag the point on, but as a matter of interest, Emerson came along in the 90s. Spyderco introduced the "worker" model in 1981 with clip carry and one hand opening. Don't know if Emerson did anything knife-wise before starting his company.

He worked for Benchmade for years before setting out on his own.  I honestly could not tell you dates for this and that though.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

EDC-1
Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 11:09:49 PM
Ah ok. Was not aware of that. A little off topic here...you remember the show Soldier Of Fortune...also called S.O.F. Inc or something. It was kind of a short lived TV series (not a half bad show at first until they got Dennis Rodman in it). Always had a lot of Emerson's stuff and if I recall right he was one of the shows tech advisors.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 11:52:08 PM
Looks cool, but a little rich for my blood.  I mean really, $180 ??? ::)

Word.  I'd pay $70.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 11:57:05 PM
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 12:04:55 AM
Hmm it's growing on me.  I like the long phillips driver, stubby ones fail me more often than not to reach what I want. 

What is the 'wave' feature of the blade they are talking about?

The wave is that small lip protruding from the blade when it is closed. It is supposed to catch to the side of your pocket (or other surface), in order to allow you to just draw the knife from the pocket and have it open "automatically". See here.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 12:39:16 AM
Ah ok. Was not aware of that. A little off topic here...you remember the show Soldier Of Fortune...also called S.O.F. Inc or something. It was kind of a short lived TV series (not a half bad show at first until they got Dennis Rodman in it). Always had a lot of Emerson's stuff and if I recall right he was one of the shows tech advisors.

No, I don't remember that one... of course, I don't watch a lot of TV (not much for dramas anyway) and I probably would have avoided it if Dennis Rodman was in it!  :P

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%