Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Adventure Medical Kits AMK - SHOT Show 2013

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
on: January 16, 2013, 07:41:08 PM
I'm watching the Goinggear videos and there is some cool stuff out this year. I like their bivvys and the new green one might wander into my shopping cart. Also the new employee Megan is kinda cute. :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Adventure Medical Kits AMK - SHOT Show 2013
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 04:42:50 PM
I'll have to look into those bivi bags, could be good. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 04:49:32 PM
I've considered these in the past. Interesting that they're coming out with them in OD. Most of the Adventure Medical stuff seems pretty good, and gets decent reviews on the net.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:17:48 PM
I have one of their heatsheets, and I have liked the look of some of their other stuff, but price has put me off a bit. As to the bivis, not something that appeals to me that much. The problem with those bivis not being breathable is they make you sweat, which is going to add to both heat loss AND loss of fluids. With a heat sheet you can get a bit more breathability to prevent that.

I do carry one of the cheapo large orange poly survival bags with me out and about, but that's more of a universal material than an emergency sleeping bag. You could use it as a pack cover, buoyancy aid, shelter tarp, groundsheet, water carrier ... but my primary reason for liking it is with a couple of wafts it can be full of air, chuck in a flashing torch and tie off with paracord and I've got a flashing orange beacon that's even bigger than I am .... not sure that'd work if foil lined  :P :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 08:22:09 PM
I have 2 of the survival bivis in my walking kit. Very small for what they are. Excellent piece of kit.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 02:47:17 AM
I have one of their heatsheets, and I have liked the look of some of their other stuff, but price has put me off a bit. As to the bivis, not something that appeals to me that much. The problem with those bivis not being breathable is they make you sweat, which is going to add to both heat loss AND loss of fluids. With a heat sheet you can get a bit more breathability to prevent that.

I do carry one of the cheapo large orange poly survival bags with me out and about, but that's more of a universal material than an emergency sleeping bag. You could use it as a pack cover, buoyancy aid, shelter tarp, groundsheet, water carrier ... but my primary reason for liking it is with a couple of wafts it can be full of air, chuck in a flashing torch and tie off with paracord and I've got a flashing orange beacon that's even bigger than I am .... not sure that'd work if foil lined  :P :D :D
I thought the point of these ones is that they are breathable?  Anyway, I too carry one of the good old plastic survival bags and it's made an excellent ground sheet over the years but I've never spent the night in one.  Thanks goodness.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 03:14:41 AM

I thought the point of these ones is that they are breathable?  Anyway, I too carry one of the good old plastic survival bags and it's made an excellent ground sheet over the years but I've never spent the night in one.  Thanks goodness.(Image removed from quote.)

You're telling me something I didn't know there ... I thought they were the standard heatsheet material in bag form  :think:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 06:05:23 AM
There are two kinds of bivies. The heatsheet bivy is just what it sounds like and is little- I guess they are calling it the "Emergency" bivy these days. And then there is the other ones, the Thermal bivvy, which have some venting and are much bigger. This Escape I've not seen- but I'm intrigued, and I've been begging them for years to make a low observability version of the Heatsheet for a military psk, so.....
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 12:05:00 PM

I thought the point of these ones is that they are breathable?  Anyway, I too carry one of the good old plastic survival bags and it's made an excellent ground sheet over the years but I've never spent the night in one.  Thanks goodness.(Image removed from quote.)

You're telling me something I didn't know there ... I thought they were the standard heatsheet material in bag form  :think:
Well, I potentially take that statement back. :-[  I'm sure I read it somewhere but now can't find the reference. :think:  Could be that I'm thinking of the 'venting' the Ironraven refers to.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 12:46:25 PM

Well, I potentially take that statement back. :-[  I'm sure I read it somewhere but now can't find the reference. :think:  Could be that I'm thinking of the 'venting' the Ironraven refers to.

Here's a clip I found on the tube which shows venting with velcro ...

AMK Thermo-Lite Bivvy Sack 2.0 review and demonstration

... which for me makes it very much a single function item as I alluded to before. No doubt these would make a better bivi solution than the poly bag, but I think I'd still rather have a poly bag and heatsheet unless anyone can convince me I'm missing out on something. I still think that even with the velco it's going to be a very sweaty option.

My RAB Survival Zone Lite bivi only weighs an extra 1.5oz, and while it doesn't have the reflective properties I feel the breathability would do more to prevent fluid and heat loss over a night ... though I'm far from being an expert on the matter ... and again can be paired with a heatsheet, probably most efficiently in the form of a tarp shelter to reflect radiated heat from a fire

I certainly wouldn't want to just take one of those reflective bivis on their own. It would need to either be in convunction with something more versatile, or take an alternate solution. The only thing I own which is remotely similar is an emergency jacket, but I think (never opened it) it's made from the less fragile mylar material

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD