Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Les Stroud Interview Camillus Booth, Shot Show 2013

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Re: Les Stroud Interview Camillus Booth, Shot Show 2013
Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 03:38:11 AM
The Les Stroud Jungle SK machete I just purchased, is made in China, but appears to be made to a high standard.  I think we learned our lesson years ago when we thought the only good automobiles were made in the USA.  China can produce manufactured goods to any standard as far as I can tell; that's why most of the stuff we buy is made there.

I'm carrying it daily on my belt for this job.  I'm out in the forest for a 10-day stint. I find it quite comfortable for clearing a path through thick brush; the short, heavier blade is ideal for northern woods. It's also great for knocking the snow off the branches.  I hacked off a few branches as a test. It has no problem chopping through branches up to a few inches thick. It seems to hold an edge just fine (and the handle doesn't fall off like a Bear Grylls machete).

There are lots of reports of cougars in this particular area.  I'd feel more confident fighting off a cougar with a machete than anything else.  A bear however is a different story; that's what bear-spray and bear-bangers are for.  Nothing however, substitutes for a 44 magnum.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:58:52 AM by Landrew »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 03:57:13 AM
I liked the machete design.

As for Chinese production, it's really not strictly a matter of being Chinese. Yes, China does produce high quality stuff. it's that most of the JUNK in the world is currently made in China, which brings the reputation of anything made there down.

When I was a kid, everyone said 'Japanese Junk'. Now-a-days, most people consider a blade with the word Seki on it to be all but guaranteed to be good.

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 02:36:33 PM
Just curious...

Any of you Yanks carry a rod in the bush?

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 12:40:00 AM

As for Chinese production, it's really not strictly a matter of being Chinese. Yes, China does produce high quality stuff. it's that most of the JUNK in the world is currently made in China, which brings the reputation of anything made there down.

When I was a kid, everyone said 'Japanese Junk'. Now-a-days, most people consider a blade with the word Seki on it to be all but guaranteed to be good.
Yeah, it depends on how high a level of quality control the contracting vendor wants the manufactured product to have.  Just look at the "value line" from Spyderco, the Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious, and Resilience.  Chinese made, but with a high quality Chinese 8Cr13MoV steel, and exacting production standards.  Great knives for the money at a great price.  Head and shoulders above a couple of the POS Kershaws I bought for about the same amount, made the same way, of the same steel. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #64 on: January 30, 2013, 01:05:51 AM

Yeah, it depends on how high a level of quality control the contracting vendor wants the manufactured product to have.  Just look at the "value line" from Spyderco, the Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious, and Resilience.  Chinese made, but with a high quality Chinese 8Cr13MoV steel, and exacting production standards.  Great knives for the money at a great price.  Head and shoulders above a couple of the POS Kershaws I bought for about the same amount, made the same way, of the same steel.

Yup! My Byrd Wings and Byrd Tern get the most carry here, and you're highly likely to catch me with a Chinese made multitool in my pocket too

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #65 on: January 30, 2013, 01:10:37 AM
Chinese-made tools and knives?  I have a couple around here I think.....  ;)

Plus Rough Riders, Buck slipjoints, my Octane, Balance and Strata........  It's been said numerous times-the factories will build to the quality specified.  Thinking that all Chinese tools and knives were junk kept me from finding some real gems.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: January 30, 2013, 01:25:19 AM
... but that Camillus tool still looks pretty damn poor on first glimpse  ;)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: January 30, 2013, 05:35:21 AM
I've just read the entire thread - wow.

Personally - (thinks hard  :think:) I don't think I have ever bought a tool/product that was endorsed...ever. Maybe as a kid, a toy yeah, no doubt. But as an adult..No.

When I did the HND in Art/Design we covered the semiotic/semantic thingy..all that sign, signifier... yawn!!

......here have aread  :rofl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiotics

Needless to say, the whole advertising industry is just bollox. If you believe any different then you deserve too, is my opinion!!

Stick to the old  "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" - this especially applies to ad's...........and you wont go far wrong.

Better still, pick up real words of wisdom off MT'o  ;) ;)  :pok: :pok: ;) ;)

(I'll take that cheque now Mister Def, if you don't mind)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:41:52 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: January 30, 2013, 05:50:31 AM
  I'd feel more confident fighting off a cougar with a machete than anything else.  A bear however is a different story; that's what bear-spray and bear-bangers are for.  Nothing however, substitutes for a 44 magnum.

Please.. I gotta see footage of this in action  :rofl: :rofl:

A vision of Batmans Anti-Shark-Repellent springs to mind

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 01:13:11 PM
  I'd feel more confident fighting off a cougar with a machete than anything else.  A bear however is a different story; that's what bear-spray and bear-bangers are for.  Nothing however, substitutes for a 44 magnum.

Please.. I gotta see footage of this in action  :rofl: :rofl:

A vision of Batmans Anti-Shark-Repellent springs to mind

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:49 PM

I would never have believed that if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Worrying that it didn't show actual footage as to how effective "Bear Spray" is in real life situations.

The part with the guy wandering around with his finger on the can followed by the old timer with his finger on the trigger made me howl !! :rofl:

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #71 on: January 30, 2013, 01:34:40 PM
Spicy food has lost its kick for me since my bear-spray incident.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: August 28, 2013, 12:19:15 PM
I know a few of us are keeping an eye out to see what the "Engage" multitool will actually look like (there doesn't seem to be any consistency on the proposed load out at present), and I just had a quick look at Camillus' web site to see if there's any sign of it - and there's nothing there yet on the multitool or on the wood handled range that appears to be coming from Spain.

I did however see the reviews on the Les Stroud machete on the site, and it's not looking like they got off to a good start ...

http://www.camillusknives.com/product/1023473.0.0.0.0/19092/_/Camillus_Les_Stroud_SK_Jungle_Survival_Machete

... I'll be sticking to my Chris Caine tool, and my Roselli and GB axes I think  ;) My cheapo beater machete that I got off ebay (marketed as a Dutch Army one IIRC  :think:) about 12 years ago has held up exceptionally well too.

I'm not holding out much hope for the Engage, but then it's hard to judge something based on artists impressions and conflicting promises of tool sets  :D :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #73 on: August 28, 2013, 12:54:21 PM
:facepalm:

A rat tail tang on a machete. Good thinking. :doh: 4 out of 6 broke the handle. The other two haven't used it yet. Yeah, I'll be sticking with my cheap but reliable Tramontina. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: August 28, 2013, 07:26:11 PM
Well, traditional billhooks are normally rat-tail tangs and they're certainly up for a lot of wood chopping, so the design should be feasible. :think:  However, the execution sounds to be faulty. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%