Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Feedback on 1st Wenger, an SI Alox

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Feedback on 1st Wenger, an SI Alox
Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 02:50:03 PM
Other day I magnetized the Vic pin, and even the mini-driver, and showed how they could be used as a compass. Last night was bored and decided to magnetize the Wenger SI.  :D

Ran the north end over the can opener for half an hour while watching a tv show. And the bottle popper end with the south pole. Figured that since opposite poles attract maybe this would keep both in perfect harmony and hold their polarities.

Winding down before bed, had this crazy idea to suspend the SI from a string to see if it works like a compass. Mind you I was bored... and... it works!
Since my desktop is cluttered with paperwork the photo did not not turn out well. This was only for fun, no :pommel: now.
DSC02087.JPG
* DSC02087.JPG (Filesize: 81.62 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 05:21:27 PM
Other day I magnetized the Vic pin, and even the mini-driver, and showed how they could be used as a compass. Last night was bored and decided to magnetize the Wenger SI.  :D

Ran the north end over the can opener for half an hour while watching a tv show. And the bottle popper end with the south pole. Figured that since opposite poles attract maybe this would keep both in perfect harmony and hold their polarities.

Winding down before bed, had this crazy idea to suspend the SI from a string to see if it works like a compass. Mind you I was bored... and... it works!
Since my desktop is cluttered with paperwork the photo did not not turn out well. This was only for fun, no :pommel: now.

Ok, you're just having too much fun with your new SAK toys  :pok:>:D  Just kidding, they are fun gadgets aren't they?  I need to find me a powerful magnet like you mentioned. 
K-Tibbs

Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 11:54:54 PM
  Had noticed though, the Wenger SI with its magnetized poles really went into action quicker.

Not sure if having the south pole magnetized helped or not, or if it was the size. Even used a braided & waxed thread that have had for a few decades. Once settled in, I removed the knife and put it back onto the string the opposite direction, and it flipped right around - clockwise.
  Bad side was that my breathing was causing it to move back and forth, so a knife as a compass is more of a curiosity. Although it would catch a breeze easier.

What if you did not have a magnetized pin & wanted a compass ...

Silly thought... wonder why there have not been any inclination guides on the scales of knives & multitools? Especially with transparent scales, a needle on the inside, inclination (angle) scale on the side. How many times have you wondered the angle of slope, or checking one? I can count many times. Imagine the possibilities.
¬ Outback in Idaho

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 12:07:15 AM
You will want to keep that out of the way of your wallet, though... Magnets and debetcards don't like each other too much, in my experience  :facepalm:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 05:20:38 PM
Love the pruner blade too - this is most of the tools I would ever want in Alox without anything extra, and a clip to make it work :tu:

Mr Bee, or course :D

(Image removed from quote.)

That is one hell of a mod!  Is it me or is it using a 91mm back spring for the scissors?  Also, is the spring for the mag/phillips layer 91mm?

Just fantastic!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:29:22 PM by papercut »
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 08:28:14 PM
Probably 91mm springs, as that's what Neil was using at the time :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Donald

Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 11:06:12 PM
Now I have to ask how you tied that lanyard. Looks to be one piece, yes? Never have weaved/braided paracord before, but I like that simplistic lanyard on your Wenger SI.  :D

PS: How do you manage a clean and sealed cut on the ends? Surely you did not use a lighter, as that method makes brown & black ugly ends.

Sorry I did not notice your question before.
The easiest tutorial for tying the lanyard knot that I have seen is here:
Lanyard Knot Tutorial a.k.a. Friendship or Diamond Knot 
Then it is just pulled through itself on the bail or clevis. That way it is easy to put on or take off.

I think what you are alluding to is that if you melt it too much or catch it on fire, the paracord or parachute cord tends to blacken. As to the melted ends or tips I read IIRC a jet lighter that has more efficient combustion or a flameless heat source that does not leave any soot might help in obtaining a clean job. Nonetheless that is not what I used. ;) I just used a plain lighter taking care not to melt it too much. I taper the ends by rolling the ends in a silicone hot pat (trivet) that has a plain side, while pulling the paracord out at the same time. The simultaneous rolling and pulling action tends to leave a smooth and tapered end.

It takes some practice, and it still does not always work perfectly, requiring a few tries. Sometimes one does not get it to roll then it tends to flatten which can leave a harsh edge. Sometimes one gets it too pointed or a thin tip or thread of melted paracord is pulled from the end. In the latter case, I usually just trim it and slightly heat it to leave a more comfortable tip.

I most often use a zippo butane lighter with a long tip for greater reach when lighting something. I also use a peanut lighter (lighter fluid) that can sit on its flat base while lit. I especially use the latter if I want to melt paracord together, i.e. to join two pieces or to make a loop, as one then needs both hands as the paracord is being heated and pushed together. Once when my peanut lighter had been moved from its usual location, I used a candle.  I have not been successful at pushing the thinner tether cord together, but that is fine as I then use a sleeve of parachute cord and melt it around the two tether cord ends. This goes a bit beyond your question. ;)

us Offline Donald

Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 11:13:47 PM
Xelkos, here is an example of what I meant by the tether cord loop joined with a sleeve of orange parachute cord.

Here is an example of two "continuous" loops made by melting together the ends of the parachute cord.

us Offline Donald

Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 11:22:59 PM

Wenger Standard Issue on a bag of unsalted roasted cashews.
I removed the bail as it was coming loose, leaving me with a nice hollow rivet alox knife. This one sees a decent amount of use. I think that is just a simple figure eight knot on a piece of Mason's twine. I do not have the knife in front of me, to check, as I type this.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 11:25:51 PM

Wenger Standard Issue on a bag of unsalted roasted cashews.
I removed the bail as it was coming loose, leaving me with a nice hollow rivet alox knife. This one sees a decent amount of use. I think that is just a simple figure eight knot on a piece of Mason's twine. I do not have the knife in front of me, to check, as I type this.
Unsalted cashews?   :twak:

Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 11:54:57 PM
Xelkos, here is an example of what I meant by the tether cord loop joined with a sleeve of orange parachute cord.

I like that leather sheath, Think Twice, Cut Once. Where did you find that?
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%