Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cross grip problem

Offline acidhammer

Cross grip problem
on: January 25, 2013, 08:15:47 AM
Hi

I just received a new sog cross grip right out of the box the plier head has about 10 degrees of play left or right has anyone else had this problem?

Offline acidhammer

Re: Cross grip problem
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:49:16 AM
home now so I've added a photo
rsz_dsc_0013.jpg
* rsz_dsc_0013.jpg (Filesize: 138.07 KB)
rsz_dsc_0013.jpg
* rsz_dsc_0013.jpg (Filesize: 138.07 KB)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 12:05:33 PM
I'm guessing that's the new version made in China??
I recently purchased an older version - I've just fetched it out to compare with your picture.
I'll try uploading my own crossgrip (never done this b4).

Straight away you'll notice the diference in the plier head - old version looks thicker, the teeth more aggressive. The steel used also looks different. Yours appears almost satin in colour whereas the older version is highly polished stainless.

Not a good sign from what was once a very respected brand name
SOG CrossGrip (Large).JPG
* SOG CrossGrip (Large).JPG (Filesize: 89.25 KB)
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:27:24 PM
A growing trend sadly with newer sogs and cheaper lm's  :-\ although my older sogs are good tools   :tu: possibly sogs warranty would sort this out.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:48:50 PM
Looks like the teeth are meshed wrong  :think: If it wasn't a rivetted construction it would probably be an easy fix. Good luck with the warranty, I had an issue with a bit driver spring a while back and no ammount of emails and attempted phone calls would get anyone to speak to me about it ... I gave up in the end

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 01:49:13 PM
I am pretty certain all CrossGrips were made in the US  :think: , the CrossGrip has not been available for some time.

Acid yours does look wonky  :think: :think: my 2 CrossGrips springs hold the pliers open , your one's springs do not appear to be doing that  :think:.
If yours is a new one I would be tempted to pull it apart, easy with the hex fasteners, & see if it there is a obvious problem  :think: :think:

Otherwise I would contact SOG , hopefully they have parts or old stock & they can fix yours up  :think: :think: . Let us know how you go mate & good luck  :tu: :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 01:57:17 PM
Hi

I just received a new sog cross grip right out of the box the plier head has about 10 degrees of play left or right has anyone else had this problem?

None of mine are like that (I have 7).  A couple have a small amount of play (approx 1-2mm at the tip of the plier head) due to a slightly loose main pivot for the plier jaws, the others have minimal play.

If it isn't a loose main pivot perhaps there is something wrong with the formation of the teeth in the "cogs" that allows that much play ? 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:01:36 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 02:02:21 PM
I think they're just meshed one tooth out of position, but the pivots on that part are the rivets. The only thing to try would be to remove the plier head altogether as Mat said, and try to coax one handle round by one tooth ... but that might involve a bit of force and if it doesn't work SOG might deem it abuse  :-\ Safest to try the warranty option first if you can get a response from them

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline nelson

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:41:24 PM
I bought one late last year and its exactly the same. I can push the plier head towards either side and have found that although it doesn't make the tool useless, it does mean there is no pleasure in using it and it lies in the drawer forgotten.

I must have a look to see if its fixable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

Offline acidhammer

Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 11:43:08 AM
Hi Sorry for the late reply thanks everyone for all of the input.  I have gone back to the store they had 2 more crossgrips there and both had the same problem as mine.  I spoke to the Australian importer for SOG they are happy for it to come back but I will get a crossgrip back from them.  Do it looks like this one will be going in a draw at home for now. Hopefully I will find a good one for the collection then all I need is a Paladin PT-540 and a Blacktip to fill out the collection (already ordered the blacktip)

Thanks again everyone

Acidhammer

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 11:49:33 PM
Thanks for the update- I'd never seen one that bad before.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%