Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Components for General and Motorbike work?

Offline atool

• New User
Components for General and Motorbike work?
on: May 18, 2013, 08:02:21 AM
What would be the best components for general as well as on-the-road motorcycle repair?

I imagine the 1/4 driver with a set of allen/hex bits would be useful.
how about for the phillips or flathead?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Components for General and Motorbike work?
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:06:07 PM
If you have a 1/4" square male driver on your SOG you can get an adaptor to take any 1/4" hex bit you want, including different size philips, flatheads and any other bits you need for your particular 'bike. 

I wouldn't want to put too much torque through the cast SOG driver, so be cautious if fitting larger sockets and pushing hard. 

Also put a dab of hot glue onto the spring on the 1/4" square male driver to make sure it stays where it is meant to be (they aren't very well attached as supplied).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:07:55 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:45 AM
I ride a motorcycle everyday and tour several times a year. Here is my current must have toolkit for going anywhere:

- 1/4 bits are great, i wouldnt use it on anything bigger than a 13mm hex. 8-10 and 12mm are the most used on most motorcycles. Get some magnetic extension and a flex one if you can.

-Allen bits are a must from 1 or 2mm to 6mm.

-A good variety of phillips bits is another must, most motorcycle screws are phillips and most of them are made of a metal the same hardness as cheese or even butter  :P So having phillips bit that fits properly is very important so you wont ruin any screw on the road and be in real trouble.

- A good quality adjustable spanner as a backup or for the bigger bolts saves a lot of space and will work for most of your needs.

-Vise grips!!!!! you can go for the smaller ones to save space, be sure to take needle and normal plier type.

-Zip ties and nylon bags, a lot.

-The toolkit spark plug wrench or get one if you dont have it.

-wd40

- chain lube depending on the distance you are riding.

You can fit all that in a small pouch or bag that would weight very little.

Everything else is optional.

If you tell which motorcycle are you using and what kind of trip are you making its easier to think if you would need something else.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 05:17:38 PM
Japanese motorcycles use "Japanese Industrial Standard" screws. They LOOK like Phillips, but are different. They can be identified by a dot marking on the head of the screw. Using a Phillips bit in a JIS screw will quickly destroy the screw.

Finding JIS screwdrivers or bits can be a task. There are very few sources. Some North American (aka U.S.A.) drywall gun bits will fit JIS screws better than standard Phillips bits, but not as well as a proper JIS bit.

Don't blame the hardware, blame the tool... ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4S
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

Offline atool

• New User
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:25:06 AM
thanks all for the comments I've had both an italian and japanese bike, so i'll probably need to buy the whole set of bits  :D cheers!  :cheers:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 10:55:53 AM
Ahh, Italian bikes...

I'm on my third Duk.  Yes, the Jap bikes I've owned have had the edge in reliabikity,
But they don't have the soul.

Offline stelug

Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 03:14:51 PM
I ride Harleys and  vintage airhead bmws, while the second has a full set of tool under the seat that cover most needs, with the harley I had to build up my tool's bag from the list you read down. But if I was to have only one instument with me I woul choose the Leatherman  Crunch wich has prooved to be extremely usefull in various situation (the last I used it on a friend bike ho lost the shifter lever, he went home shifting on the crunch :). Ps, if you remove the adjusting screw of the crunch You wil discover a sturty and magnetized bit holder carved and hided in the screw's hole :)

here the full list for a sporty, I have two dynas, and tools are very similar (I don't carry all that stuff, but some choosed from experience)

K-Torx-
T25 control housing screws
T27 clutch inspection cover, control clamps
T40 front brake disk, front wheel hub plate
T45 rear brake disk mounting bolts, fork bracket pinch screws

-Allen-
6 or 7 mm fork damper tube screw
5/32 sissy bar mounting screws, primary chain inspection cover screws
3/16 primary cover screws, rocker box cover screws, gearcase cover, sprocket cover, sissy bar side plate mounting screws
1/4 front fender bolts, handlebar clamp bolts, eyebrow bolts, coil bracket bolt, left footpeg mount screws, rear master cylinder mounting screws, belt guard mounting screw
primary adjuster screw
5/16 upper engine mounts, front axle pinch bolt
3/8 timing plug

-Hex Head-
5/16 heat shield worm drive clamps, brake line mounting clips, horn mounting bracket screws
3/8 voltage regulator mounting screws
7/16 coil mounting screws, battery strap nut, brake pedal adjustment screw
10mm horn mounting nut, battery terminal screw, throttle cable adjustment jam nut
1/2 front fender bolt nuts, enricher bracket, front directional signal mounts, mirror mount, coil bracket bolt, brake pedal adjustment screw locknut
9/16 lower front engine mounts, front axle pinch bolt, upper shock mounting bolt, belt tension adjuster screws
upper front engine mount screws, rear engine mount bolts
5/8 front directional swivel nut, spark plugs
11/16 lower front engine mount flange nuts
3/4 front axle nut, lower shock mounting bolt, headlight mounting bolt
7/8 primary chain adjuster screw locknut
15/16 rear axle nut, stem bolt
1 3/8 fork tube cap

-Twelve Point-
3/8 caliper banjo bolts, rear master cylinder banjo bolt
7/16 front master cylinder banjo bolt
1/2 head screws

-Phillips-
#1 headlight clamp ring, directional signal lens screws, taillight lens screws
#3 ignition module cover screws
#4 air cleaner cover screwsit Contains: 3/8 inch drive ratchet, 5/8 inch spark plug socket, 13/16 inch spark plug socket, 3/8 inch-7/16 inch open-end wrench, 1/2 inch-9/16 inch open-end wrench, 5/8 inch-3/4 inch open-end wrench, 10 mm combination wrench, Small Phillips screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, Slotted screwdriver, Locking pliers, 7 pc. Torx set (T-10-T-40), 9 pc. Hex key set, Tire pressure gauge, Spark plug gap gauge, Electrical wire, Flashlight, Mechanic's wire, Siphon hose, Electrical tape, Cable ties (5), Spare turn/taillight bulb and Shop towel.
WE HAVE ALSO ADDED THE FOLLOWING..
A 6' ADJUSTABLE WRENCH, LOCTITE THREADLOCKER 270 & WD 4
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:17:22 PM by stelug »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60