Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best SAK Ever!!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Best SAK Ever!!!
on: March 25, 2008, 07:28:35 PM
IMO, the LumberJack is the best SAK ever! It is very small, light, and useful implements. I also LOVE the economy scales... They don't scratch up like the normal cellidor? scales... The Farmer is my second favorite! Well, the Handyman is my second favorite! I am very satisfied with the LumberJack! BTW, thanks Apple!
B

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Best SAK Ever!!!
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:31:40 PM
Yep, Lumberjacks are pretty cool, Alox ones are even better :D

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:36:16 PM
I think you need to buy MANY more SAKs before you call the Lumberjack the best one.  It is the best knife for a PSK, IMO.  Though the ALOX (P)Lumberjack is great, I still prefer the nylon scaled ones for PSK, since they have the T&T (toothpick and tweezers).

I thought the Safari Hunter was the best.(?)

I'm sending a couple of Cadets off to Scibeer in the near future to add a saw.  That will be pretty close to perfect too.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 07:37:48 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:37:48 PM

I'm sending a couple of Cadets off to Scibeer in the near future to add a saw.  That will be pretty close to perfect too.
A mini Farmer!!!, now that would be a very cool sak, all those great woods knife features in a tiny 84mm chassis :drool:

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 07:44:37 PM
Which ever one is in my pocket. ;)

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:45:17 PM
Which ever one is in my pocket. ;)

Mike
Sage advice mate :)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 08:03:23 PM

A mini Farmer!!!, now that would be a very cool sak, all those great woods knife features in a tiny 84mm chassis :drool:

Mini Farmer is what I was thinking but it won't have that great awl, unfortunately.  I like the nail file idea for a match striker though.  I'm thinking I could grind an edge on the nail file to use as an awl in a pinch...
- Terry

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 08:18:23 PM
A mini-Farmer would be nice.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 09:56:20 PM
The best SAK is the SAK I've EDCed for over 25 years now: the TINKER!

For me, nothing else Vic makes comes close to being as good as a Tinker.

In my everday life I very rarely have need of a saw, never need a corkscrew, but my Tinker's slothead and Phillips screwdrivers get used frequently.

Tinker has everything I really need - save pliers.

Tinker has nothing I don't really need.

Therefore, Tinker is small and light enough so that it is ALWAYS with me.

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 10:02:01 PM
We all know the Technogolfer is the best SAK ever.  :P
I'm back!!

Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 10:48:31 PM

Mini Farmer is what I was thinking but it won't have that great awl, unfortunately.  I like the nail file idea for a match striker though.  I'm thinking I could grind an edge on the nail file to use as an awl in a pinch...
I think I'd miss the awl too, but as a back up tool or a last ditch psk style sak, it'd be hard to beat :)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 10:54:53 PM
The best SAK is the SAK I've EDCed for over 25 years now: the TINKER!

I have a soft spot for the Tinker. I carried one for about 15 years. And I still break out my custom Tinker and carry it quite often but I hate to say it but in my pocket the Farmer has replaced it for general EDC. With the exception of recessed Phillips screws, I can do anything with a Farmer that I could do with a Tinker, however, the opposite is not true because of the woodsaw. Of course with a standard Tinker you have tweezers and a toothpick but I've always had a Classic or something similar on a keychain so it's redundant.

Although if I ever get the money I'm thinking about getting a custom handled Hiker so I'll have the best of both worlds.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 10:58:35 PM
I really am gona have to get a tinker at some point :)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 11:20:43 PM
If it didn't cost so much for me to ship it to ya I'd give ya an extra one that I have. I have no idea where it came from or what, but there it is, sitting in my sock drawer.

Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 11:23:44 PM
If it didn't cost so much for me to ship it to ya I'd give ya an extra one that I have. I have no idea where it came from or what, but there it is, sitting in my sock drawer.
I appreciate the sentiment mate, but you should keep it, as you can never have enough Saks :)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 11:29:32 PM
I appreciate the sentiment mate, but you should keep it, as you can never have enough Saks
Oh I'd reward myself for doing it by buying another SAK.  :D I'm kinda looking at a Fieldmaster right now, I don't need one but I want one.

Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 08:47:23 AM
I appreciate the sentiment mate, but you should keep it, as you can never have enough Saks
Oh I'd reward myself for doing it by buying another SAK.  :D I'm kinda looking at a Fieldmaster right now, I don't need one but I want one.
Need and want are the same thing surely :D

Offline FredKJ

Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 02:42:23 PM
Back in the old days before carrying a knife on a plane would get you a cavity search or a kid busted on a felony charge in school when virtually everyone carried a pocket knife you could tell a lot about a persons social class, occupation, lifestyle by the type of knife they carried.  It didn't take a Sherlock Holmes to look at someone's pocket knife to tell those things.  So the best SAK preference would be determined by lifestyle.  A computer geek like me is naturally drawn to stuff with a lot of gadgets.  A business professional like a lawyer would carry something very small and simple.  A working class person would pick something heavy duty.  An outdoor person would go for something like the Farmer. 

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 03:39:40 PM
I have a soft spot for the Tinker. I carried one for about 15 years. And I still break out my custom Tinker and carry it quite often but I hate to say it but in my pocket the Farmer has replaced it for general EDC. With the exception of recessed Phillips screws, I can do anything with a Farmer that I could do with a Tinker, however, the opposite is not true because of the woodsaw.

I do remember seeing a pic of your custom Tinker - a very nice looking knife.  If I had a fancy Tinker like that, I'd be set for life.

Do you actually find yourself needing a woodsaw on a day to day basis?  Unless your job keeps you outdoors for most of the day, then I rather doubt the woodsaw will get used much.

A SAK woodsaw may be one of those things that is nice in theory, but lacking in practice.  In daily urban life it's just exceedingly rare (for me at least) to actually need to saw wood.

On the other hand, the Phillips on my Tinker gets used quite frequently.  As time goes by it seems Phillips are becoming more common, gradually replacing slotheads.

I often  encounter recessed Phillips screws that need to be removed to change batteries, or to disassemble the plastic cases of various gizmos.

Although if I ever get the money I'm thinking about getting a custom handled Hiker so I'll have the best of both worlds.

Hmmm, let's see:

Super Tinker = Tinker + Scissors
Mechanic = Tinker + Pliers
Deluxe Tinker = Tinker + Scissors + Pliers
Hiker = Tinker + Saw, is that correct?

I did get a Mechanic - a very nice SAK, but slightly too thick for me for EDC.

N

Offline FredKJ

Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 03:44:31 PM
For ten years I carried a Super Tinker.  The darkhorse unexpected tool I had on it that I wouldn't have missed before was the scissors.  One thing I liked about having the scissors is that when I had a nail clipper everyone in the family "borrowed" it and they dissappeared.  That problem went away when I had the scissors.  They didn't borrow that.  Now I carry a Champion plus or a Wenger S557 because I like the extra gadgets. 

Offline Thargor

Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 04:38:54 PM
All of you should just buy a Cybertool 41 and stop wasting money on inferior SAKs :D

Offline FredKJ

Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 04:44:40 PM
All of you should just buy a Cybertool 41 and stop wasting money on inferior SAKs :D

I believe Sir that you have offended my Southern gentleman Alabama honor by calling my Wenger S557 inferior.  The only way this can be settled is with a cyberstalking duel at 20 paces.   :D

Offline Thargor

Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 04:53:24 PM
Heh, you mentioned the one SAK Ive thought about buying in nearly a year actually, I was flicking through old articles on SOSAK last night and the Evogrips looked damn tempting...

Offline FredKJ

Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 04:56:20 PM
Yes, I love it.  I added a Victorinox micro screwdriver to the corkscrew.  The two screwdrivers lock when you use them by pushing into the tang.  The blade has a lock.  It's a nice toy  :climber:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 05:03:28 PM
Do you actually find yourself needing a woodsaw on a day to day basis?  Unless your job keeps you outdoors for most of the day, then I rather doubt the woodsaw will get used much.
Not TOO often, but I do use it sometimes. Just a week or two ago I was outside and cut off a branch so I could whittle and keep myself busy while my 3 year old was wandering around in the front yard.

And a couple of days ago I used it to make an adjustment on my cane. I had a rough spot on the "horn"(pointy part by your hand) and used a saw to make that look better.

So yeah, now that I have it I'm finding that I use it. And when I'm actually taking something apart or putting it back together I usually break out my Spirit so recessed Phillips screws STILL don't have a chance.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 05:22:19 PM
Not TOO often, but I do use it sometimes. Just a week or two ago I was outside and cut off a branch so I could whittle and keep myself busy while my 3 year old was wandering around in the front yard.

And a couple of days ago I used it to make an adjustment on my cane. I had a rough spot on the "horn"(pointy part by your hand) and used a saw to make that look better.

So yeah, now that I have it I'm finding that I use it. And when I'm actually taking something apart or putting it back together I usually break out my Spirit so recessed Phillips screws STILL don't have a chance.

Well ducktapehero, it seems to me that if you EDC a Spirit in addition to your Farmer, then most of the functions of the Farmer are redundant anyhow.  What can a Farmer do that a Spirit can't?

You could probably get by just as well carrying your Spirit and one of those little keychain SAKs featuring scissors and nailfile.

N

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 06:04:04 PM
What can a Farmer do that a Spirit can't?

Turn a screw while holding the nut in the plier head? :D

There's something that can be said for a bit of redundancy with the more commonly used implements.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 06:21:05 PM
What can a Farmer do that a Spirit can't?

Turn a screw while holding the nut in the plier head? :D

There's something that can be said for a bit of redundancy with the more commonly used implements.

Def

True, but why carry the Farmer with its woodsaw when the Spirit offers a better woodsaw?

I'd rather carry (Tinker + Spirit) than (Farmer + Spirit.)

I can forsee needing to hold a nut with the Spirit's pliers while turning a bolt using the Tinker's Phillips screwdriver, which can't be done with the Farmer.

Of course you could hold something with the Spirit's pliers while you saw on it with the Farmer's saw, but I can't forsee needing to do that very often.

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 06:30:37 PM

A SAK woodsaw may be one of those things that is nice in theory, but lacking in practice.  In daily urban life it's just exceedingly rare (for me at least) to actually need to saw wood.

See Mike, it's not just me.  :P  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 06:32:09 PM
Well ducktapehero, it seems to me that if you EDC a Spirit in addition to your Farmer, then most of the functions of the Farmer are redundant anyhow.  What can a Farmer do that a Spirit can't?
I don't EDC my Spirit, but since I rarely go out it's usually near me. I keep in in a centrally located place in my house so I'm always close to it. And if I DO carry it I don't carry my Farmer.

But since getting my Farmer I have yet to come across a Phillips screw that couldn't be handled by the Farmer. I use the saw more often than I need to go find a different Phillips screwdriver so for me the Farmer is a better choice.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%