Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best SAK Ever!!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Re: Best SAK Ever!!!
Reply #60 on: March 26, 2008, 08:01:11 PM
You should try a model with the in-line phillips driver if you haven't.  It's the best of both worlds.  It fits more heads, gets into tight areas, and has great reach.

I've been tempted to try one, but they mostly come in the fatter SAKs that are too thick for EDC for me.  Two layer SAKs are the limit for me for pocket carry, which is why I love the Tinker so much.

Plus, I've heard that the in-line Phillips doesn't grip screws even as well as the backspring Phillips, because the driver head is machined differently.

I've buggered-up many more phillips screws with that over-polished backspring phillips than anything else.  Out of the 60 SAKs I own, I now only have one that has the backspring phillips, and that's just because I can't find a SAK that has the same implements as a Deluxe Tinker w/a corkscrew instead of the phillips.

I've had pretty good luck with the backspring Phillips over the many years I've carried a Tinker.

It's saved the day many times out in the field, allowing me to open cases to change out batteries, disassemble external pack frames, stoves, etc.

N

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: March 26, 2008, 08:01:43 PM
Where's Bill when you need him.  :D  A robertson would be cool.

That would be a great idea.  It's a shame that robertson screws haven't reached the popularity in the US as they appear to have in the UK and Europe.  Torx are quite common, but I rarely see robertson here.
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #62 on: March 26, 2008, 08:03:42 PM
Where's Bill when you need him.  :D  A robertson would be cool.

That would be a great idea.  It's a shame that robertson screws haven't reached the popularity in the US as they appear to have in the UK and Europe.  Torx are quite common, but I rarely see robertson here.

They are not all that common here actually. I do have a few in my car though.

A T-20 torx would be great to have.
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #63 on: March 26, 2008, 08:04:18 PM
You should try a model with the in-line phillips driver if you haven't.  It's the best of both worlds.  It fits more heads, gets into tight areas, and has great reach.

I've been tempted to try one, but they mostly come in the fatter SAKs that are too thick for EDC for me.  Two layer SAKs are the limit for me for pocket carry, which is why I love the Tinker so much.

Plus, I've heard that the in-line Phillips doesn't grip screws even as well as the backspring Phillips, because the driver head is machined differently.

That's a good point--the inline phillips will always add another layer, and thus more width to the knife.

My experience with the grip on screws is totally opposite to what you've heard.  The in-line driver fits more sizes of screws and the grip is much better.
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: March 26, 2008, 08:06:45 PM

My experience with the grip on screws is totally opposite to what you've heard.  The in-line driver fits more sizes of screws and the grip is much better.

That's what I have found as well.
I'm back!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #65 on: March 26, 2008, 08:14:43 PM

That's a good point--the inline phillips will always add another layer, and thus more width to the knife.

Well, maybe I should try one.  I just recall people on various forums complaining that they don't grip that well.

Isn't there a two-layer SAK with an inline Phillips?  Lumberjack maybe?

N

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #66 on: March 26, 2008, 08:17:10 PM
The Scientist is the only two-layer model I know of with the inline phillips.  Sadly, it was discontinued years ago.  Similarly, the Yeoman was the only three layer that I'm aware of, and it was discontinued.

You'd need to turn to Scibeer for something like that these days.  Or, buy a four layer Explorer.

Hell, if the backspring phillips works that well for you, stick to it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 08:20:33 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #67 on: March 26, 2008, 08:20:31 PM
I've got an Explorer (thanks Calvin) and it's a great model, it's certainly doesn't feel too bulky for edc :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #68 on: March 26, 2008, 08:24:31 PM
The saw on the Spirit does indeed lock open, but I've never had a Farmer saw blade fold on me, so I think it's a moot point, regarding the lock (or lack there off), the greater length of the Farmer however is hard to argue with :)

I'm not arguing with it.

Since you own both, perhaps you could enlighten me as to the difference in length?

Personally, I'd prefer to have a slightly shorter locking saw to a slightly longer saw that didn't lock.

There's not much in it, (just ran up stairs to check :D) maybe 5-6 mm, I've got to admit to being suprised at that as it feels longer :think:

I'd gladly give up 5mm = 0.2" of saw blade to gain a secure lock!

I've had saw blades fold on my hand on a few occasions and it's something I'd prefer to avoid in the future!

N

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #69 on: March 26, 2008, 08:27:06 PM
Yeah it would sting a bit :D

But it's honestly not a problem on the farmer as it has a very sturdy back spring :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #70 on: March 26, 2008, 08:38:42 PM
Yeah it would sting a bit :D

But it's honestly not a problem on the farmer as it has a very sturdy back spring :)

I've nearly always had a SAK with a saw, starting with a Camper 25 years ago.  I've used the saw hundreds of times, and I've never had it fold up.  That Camper doesn't have near the backspring that a Farmer has either.

The saw on the 111mm models is really sweet.  The angle of it makes it nearly impossible to fold up in use also.
- Terry

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #71 on: March 26, 2008, 08:41:15 PM
The Scientist is the only two-layer model I know of with the inline phillips.  Sadly, it was discontinued years ago.  Similarly, the Yeoman was the only three layer that I'm aware of, and it was discontinued.

You'd need to turn to Scibeer for something like that these days.  Or, buy a four layer Explorer.

Hell, if the backspring phillips works that well for you, stick to it.

I'm pretty happy with the Tinker after 25+ years of EDC.

Although I've experimented with other SAKs over the years, none of them ever replacded the Tinker as my EDC.

It'd have to be a custom model, but it's hard for me to visualize any two-layer SAK better than a Tinker.

Maybe a custom three-layer alox SAK, with:
-big blade and small blade
-can opener and bottle opener
-inline Phillips and awl

If a three-layer alox custom SAK was the same thickness as the two-layer Tinker, then maybe I'd be tempted to change my EDC.

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: March 26, 2008, 08:43:32 PM
The problem is though, the inline phillips comes on the magnifyer layer.
I'm back!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #73 on: March 26, 2008, 08:49:26 PM
The problem is though, the inline phillips comes on the magnifyer layer.

I figured if I was paying someone to build a custom alox SAK that I could specify what implements I wanted.

Are you saying that an inline Phillips couldn't fit in the same layer with an awl?

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: March 26, 2008, 08:55:21 PM
Due to the thickness of the phillips, I would think not.  :-\

I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #75 on: March 26, 2008, 09:47:12 PM
I'm pretty happy with the Tinker after 25+ years of EDC.

Although I've experimented with other SAKs over the years, none of them ever replacded the Tinker as my EDC.
Please don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to "dis" the Tinker. I love the Tinker. I was just mentioning that, for ME, I like the Farmer better. But then again I don't use the Phillips very much. I used to, but now, other than putting together a toy for my son I rarely need it.

The main reason I like the saw is "insurance". I live in the Ozarks and the possibility of me spending an unplanned night in the woods is something I like to be at least minimally prepared for. If I walk out of the house I want to have at least a good blade, a saw and a lighter. If it's cold I also take a coat even if I don't plan to use it.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #76 on: March 26, 2008, 11:27:51 PM
The main reason I like the saw is "insurance". I live in the Ozarks and the possibility of me spending an unplanned night in the woods is something I like to be at least minimally prepared for. If I walk out of the house I want to have at least a good blade, a saw and a lighter. If it's cold I also take a coat even if I don't plan to use it.

I've backpacked many, many miles in the Ozarks over the years and have camped in the Ozarks more times than I can remember, mainly on caving and canoe trips.  (There happen to be only a few thousand known caves and springs in the Ozarks.)

Many moons ago the Boy Scouts taught me to always "Be prepared."

For even a short walk in the woods I always carry a light rucksack with a few essentials:  rain gear, firestarting materials, emergency shelter, water, and a few calories of food.

If I break an ankle and have to spend several nights in the woods, the main thing I'm concerned with is hypothermia.

A lightweight 5x7 nylon tarp and 50 feet of paracord takes up very little room in the rucksack, weighs less than half-a-pound, and will provide enough shelter to stay dry.  Even if it isn't raining or snowing, the tarp can be rigged as a windbreak and rolling up in the tarp will provide extra warmth for sleeping.

The rucksack used to contain a lightweight Gerber folding saw, but nowdays a Vic GAK has replaced it because its saw works surprisingly well - much better than what I expected.  The GAK doesn't have the cutting ability of the Gerber saw, but I've decided that it's "good enough."  I've tried it on small saplings and it works well enough to cut poles and pegs to rig a tarp for shelter.

With a GAK and an original Leatherman Tool in my rucksack, I feel well prepared for the unexpected with a total tool weight of less than 10 ounces.

N

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #77 on: March 26, 2008, 11:42:35 PM
Good choice.  The GAK is what I always carry in the woods.

Is yours a 108mm GAK or 111mm?  (non-locking blade, or locking?)
- Terry

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #78 on: March 26, 2008, 11:51:56 PM
Good choice.  The GAK is what I always carry in the woods.

Is yours a 108mm GAK or 111mm?  (non-locking blade, or locking?)

It's a one-hand, liner-lock model that I got through Felinevet - similar to the OHT.  Has lovely OD scales with a German eagle molded into one scale.

N

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #79 on: March 26, 2008, 11:55:12 PM
Ah, yes.  That model has the best saw in the business, IMO.  I like how it's angled a bit past horizontal.  That reduces the chance of it folding on you.

I normally carry a 108mm GAK in the woods.  It's a bit more compact and lighter, but the blade doesn't lock.  The saw is shorter but is very wide and doesn't flex as much as the other Vic SAKs.
- Terry

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #80 on: March 27, 2008, 12:02:06 AM
I take it back, the LumerJack isn't the best SAK ever... After looking through my collection I would have to say I like my Vic OH Fireman. It is just like the Safari Hunter but with a OHO and many more features... Screw the Safari Hunter!  :o
B

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #81 on: March 27, 2008, 12:11:37 AM
Ah, yes.  That model has the best saw in the business, IMO.  I like how it's angled a bit past horizontal.  That reduces the chance of it folding on you.

Yeah, I had read comments on various forums about how good the GAK saw was, but I remained skeptical.

I've never been that impressed with the SAK woodsaws and I do prefer locking saws.  But, I figured the GAK saw might just be "good enough" for emergency use.

It cuts far better than I believed it would, and although I still wish it locked, the raked back angle does seem to work to prevent accidental folding.

A great little saw for emergency use, although I'd still carry the little Gerber folding saw if I were expecting to do much sawing.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD