Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Star Wars

PTRSAK · 685 · 35133

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Re: New Star Wars
Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:45 PM
Sadly, when the creator of a successful franchise departs the scene, it seems all too rare for the followers to carry the torch.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 06:18:42 PM
Yeah, they should have used all unknown actors like the original trilogy... because Alec Guiness and Peter Cushing were both no-names.  ::)

The things is, for most of us, the original trilogy got that grandfather clause thing where we somehow overlook all the flaws, and focus on what was good. NO ONE seems to remember the stupidity that is the Ewoks.

Ep 1 was frustrating, because it had the terrible Anakin story, and Jar Jar, but the pretty awesome Qui Gon/ Obi Wan / Darth Maul bits.

(And, by the way, when I want to show my lack of enthusiasm for something, I have adopted saying 'Woo-hoo... now THIS is podracing' in the most monotone emulation of the line I can muster.)

Ep 2 is a pretty huge improvement. Much less terrible, much more awesome.

Ep 3 was (except for ANY scene with both Anakin and Padme) FRICKIN AWESOME!

As for bad effects... Hmmm... you remember the original version of the scene in Jabba's throneroom with the singer and slave dancers? No? How about the stop-motion Taun-Tauns from Ep 5? No? Hmmm.... How about... those BIG UGLY chroma key marks around the tie fighters throughout the entire original Star Wars? You know, the ones that have now been digitally fixed in the newer versions? No? Hmmm...

Most every visual effect will eventually start looking bad. ILM has consistently been the people pushing the boundaries of what is doable.

Let me stop to ask maybe the single most obvious question so many obsessive Star Wars fans (myself included) often overlook: Do you think maybe we're expecting too much from movies that are at their essence supposed to be fun romp reinventions of the saturday matinee serials?

I hear the angry grumbles already...

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 06:25:29 PM
NO ONE seems to remember the stupidity that is the Ewoks.
I thought everyone loved Ewoks  :think: :cry:

I quite honestly enjoy all six movies!  Though I do find Luke to be very whiny and irritating at times, and Jar Jar, well..... yeah, they really could have done without him, okeday.

Hmm, this makes me want to start reading Star Wars books again!  Kindle, here I come.  :ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 07:11:15 PM
Again I've got to side with Lynn on this.  I would also add that Hayden Christensen (the relatively unknown actor of the group) had all the acting skill of a piece of pine and the charisma of a damp flannel.  THAT was what really annoyed me about the films, the fact they were totally centred around a character that was played by, not one, but TWO actor who couldn't get a single iota of my sympathy or empathy. :rant:

Phew, that feels better. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 07:28:26 PM
Again I've got to side with Lynn on this.  I would also add that Hayden Christensen (the relatively unknown actor of the group) had all the acting skill of a piece of pine and the charisma of a damp flannel.  THAT was what really annoyed me about the films, the fact they were totally centred around a character that was played by, not one, but TWO actor who couldn't get a single iota of my sympathy or empathy. :rant:

Phew, that feels better. :D

Is it because he is Canadian??   :rofl: :tool:

The 3 original ones had Harrison Ford and an evil Darth Vader. The new ones did not. The actors were adult.
Also episode one starts with a stupid race round the desert, which the 1st time I saw it made me think that they were just trying to find something to make a computer game out off later. (I have no idea if they did) Also too many young actors that made it look like you were watching a teen/kid TV movie rather than a proper film.

I must have watched the original ones again and again many times, and the new ones maybe twice... no atraction there.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Grathr

Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 07:48:03 PM
If you want to see some really silly Star Wars, take a look at the Star Wars Holiday Special on youtube.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=NO#/watch?v=Mz550T3QeAo
 :facepalm:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 09:12:23 PM
If you want to see some really silly Star Wars, take a look at the Star Wars Holiday Special on youtube.

Do NOT take a look at the Star Wars Holiday Special. I thought it was bad when I was 7. YOU ARE WARNED! :D

EDIT: Although... it WAS the first introduction of Boba Fett. So... No, it was terrible.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:40 PM

Do NOT take a look at the Star Wars Holiday Special. I thought it was bad when I was 7. YOU ARE WARNED! :D

EDIT: Although... it WAS the first introduction of Boba Fett. So... No, it was terrible.

While I will admit that it is horrible, if one remembers that it was produced at a time when anything with "Star Wars" in the title was like printing money, it's understandable.

Plus, it's the only time you get to hear the lyrics to the Star Wars theme music  :whistle:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 11:11:23 PM
I agree pretty much with everything Lynn said.  Hayden Christiansen is an awful actor; they easily could have found someone better. 

That said, I think the choice of Ewan MacGregor for Obi Wan was brilliant, although I thought his performance in Ep. III, especially at the end, was rather wooden as well.  Even Obi Wan would have been more emotional at the discovery of Anakin's betrayal of the Jedi, and then having to cut down his former padawan...  Ewan MacGregor is a phenomenal actor in general, and I've like pretty much everything I've seen him in, all different kinds of things, from Blackhawk Down, to Big Fish.  His range is outstanding.

I also think Ep. I should have focused more on Obi Wan really, rather than child-Anakin.  Other than Anakin, he really is the fulcrum of the first three episodes, and it would have been nice to see more character development with him, and also with Qui Gon.  But of course, no one bothers to consult me on any of this, do they?   :whistle:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 11:22:14 PM
If you see an actor (like Ewan McGregor) who is great in a bunch of movies, and kinda bad in one or two, I always put that down to the director. The actor has shown the ability to act, repeatedly. Same with Natalie Portman. She's very good... in other movies. Gotta be the director at that point.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 11:36:04 PM
If you see an actor (like Ewan McGregor) who is great in a bunch of movies, and kinda bad in one or two, I always put that down to the director. The actor has shown the ability to act, repeatedly. Same with Natalie Portman. She's very good... in other movies. Gotta be the director at that point.
Absolutely. :tu: 

Ewan McGregor has also gone on record saying just how much he didn't like making the films.  Not to say he didn't give the performance he was asked to, just that it's very hard to give it your all when you're not enjoying your job. :-\

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 02:35:30 AM
Absolutely. :tu: 

Ewan McGregor has also gone on record saying just how much he didn't like making the films.  Not to say he didn't give the performance he was asked to, just that it's very hard to give it your all when you're not enjoying your job. :-\

Hard for me to imagine saying you didn't like doing something that pays you millions.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 03:10:49 AM
Hard for me to imagine saying you didn't like doing something that pays you millions.

The job that paid most in my life was probably the one I liked least. It sometimes happens. Tons of money doesn't always bring happiness... although I'd risk finding out.  :D

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 03:13:37 AM

The job that paid most in my life was probably the one I liked least. It sometimes happens. Tons of money doesn't always bring happiness... although I'd risk finding out.  :D
If you don't like doing something, don't do it, but if you're doing it for the money, obviously you liked it well enough to do it.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 03:58:09 AM
Also episode one starts with a stupid race round the desert, which the 1st time I saw it made me think that they were just trying to find something to make a computer game out off later. (I have no idea if they did)

Yes, yes they did...   and it was crap

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 05:45:30 AM
I wish I could find something more profound to say, but all that comes to mind is this: "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened. "

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 07:05:43 AM
Also episode one starts with a stupid race round the desert, which the 1st time I saw it made me think that they were just trying to find something to make a computer game out off later. (I have no idea if they did)

Yes, yes they did...   and it was crap

Many thanks  :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: January 29, 2013, 07:48:49 AM

If you don't like doing something, don't do it, but if you're doing it for the money, obviously you liked it well enough to do it.
I think the terms "under contract" and "being professional" would seem relevant here. :)

I wish I could find something more profound to say, but all that comes to mind is this: "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened. "

:rofl:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 04:17:09 PM
Gizmodo seems to think that jj abrams as the new director might be a good idea.
http://gizmodo.com/5979720/heres-what-itd-look-like-if-jj-abrams-directed-the-original-star-wars
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: January 29, 2013, 05:03:42 PM

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 07:39:43 AM
Heads up for the UK lot:
Casting for the new Star Wars starts soon in the UK.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tv-film-news/star-wars-open-auditions-held-2681071

Casting sessions for the film will begin later this week around the UK and Ireland - including London, Dublin and Glasgow, according to the BBC.

The film's makers are trying to fill two roles in the movie.

A casting notice seen by the BBC says the characters are a "street smart and strong" orphaned girl in her late teens and a "smart capable" man in his late teens or early 20s.

The auditions, which are due to begin in Bristol on November 9, were initially announced on the Twitter account @UKopencall - which described them as being for "a major Hollywood movie," according to the BBC

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 01:53:09 PM
:jedi: :vader:
Leatherman

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 02:08:54 PM
I'm not looking forward to it.  I recently saw the Muppet Movie with Chris Cooper rapping:

[HQ] Tex Richman rap scene (Muppets movie 2011)

I'm quite certain I don't want to see Grandmaster Darth and DJ OB-1 in a rap battle with Ice WOK.   :facepalm:

I realize this was a joke, but I am worried it might be a bit too close to the truth for my comfort.

If Disney Made Star Wars - Randomness

I have no faith in Disney, and haven't in many years.  Not since their movies started to be more "How many celebrities and cameos can we ram into one film?" rather than "How can we really make something people would really enjoy?"

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 02:38:32 PM
Yeah, you're right. Nobody liked the Avengers movie, for instance. ;)

Disclaimer: Haven't seen that movie either.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #54 on: November 28, 2014, 03:49:51 PM
new trailer should be on itunes (trailers) soon  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: November 28, 2014, 04:14:57 PM

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: November 28, 2014, 04:33:12 PM
 :sa:

that sith lightsaber!!!

and the xwings should be renamed sexwings.... cause they're well sexy!!!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: November 28, 2014, 05:32:18 PM
 :drool:
ep7-saber.jpg
* ep7-saber.jpg (Filesize: 72.13 KB)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #58 on: November 28, 2014, 09:11:50 PM
Looking forward to this. :woohoo:

Hope they don't mess it up. :doh:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: November 28, 2014, 09:18:41 PM
it looks fantastic so far... but trailers have a way of making bad movies look good. I don't think they can mess this one up by what little I've seen and heard so far.

for those non itunes quicktime and lazy users:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%