Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Star Wars

PTRSAK · 685 · 36642

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: New Star Wars
Reply #630 on: May 04, 2017, 01:19:29 PM
Shockingly bad film though. ;)

Yes, it was, but Mark Hamill was one of the voices in the cartoon.

He played a starfighter pilot.... which was a radical departure from being Luke Skywalker.   :facepalm:

May the Fourth be with you all!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #631 on: May 04, 2017, 02:01:37 PM
Shockingly bad film though. ;)

Yes, it was, but Mark Hamill was one of the voices in the cartoon.

He played a starfighter pilot.... which was a radical departure from being Luke Skywalker.   :facepalm:

May the Fourth be with you all!

Def

I didn't even know that existed.  :o 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #632 on: May 04, 2017, 04:08:53 PM
Never underestimate the power of the Dork Side....

Or have you not yet seen my thread about me painting dragons all through High School?   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #633 on: July 09, 2018, 12:09:25 PM
Well guys and girls...  Much as I hate to say I told you so... 

Hell, who am I kidding?

I TOLD YOU SO.    Under the House of Mouse,  Star Wars has been crippled to the point of their last effort being a BOX OFFICE FLOP and LOSING MONEY

Could you have EVER have even contemplated either of those two scenarios being applicable to a Star Wars movie?
No,  well, not until you get producers who fill the movies up with PC, SJW crap and THEN have the unmitigated gall to abuse and blame the FANS for not liking the garbage they served up hoping that the brand itself would be a golden ticket.

Shame Disney, shame.  You have for all intents and purposes killed off what was one of the greatest movie franchises EVER.

I told you so. over 5 years ago.  And it makes me sad to have been right.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-27/jj-abrams-to-direct-next-star-wars-film/4486140

Lucasfilm, bought by Disney, planning to bring out another StarWars trilogy, Lucas not writing or directing, just a "creative consultant"...

I have a bad feeling about this.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #634 on: July 09, 2018, 12:16:47 PM
Got to disagree with you there PTRSAK - Lucas did the damage waaaaay back with the prequels, and I think we all watch the originals through rose tinted specs.

Personally  I loved 'The Force Awakens' and parts of 'Last Jedi' and really loved 'Rogue One' - R1 is the jewel in the crown of the entire franchise for me. As much as I hate Disney and pretty much all it stands for, I think they have put a bit of much needed equality into the mix.

I wonder maybe if we've reached peak Star Wars and are starting to realise the Emperor has no clothes on.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #635 on: July 09, 2018, 03:17:40 PM
I never liked the princesses and princes in outer space aspect of star wars but I really like the aesthetics (excluding cute furry characters intended for selling merchandise). But what the smurf did they think when they thought up Rey? Just make the hero so overpowered that no one else stands a chance against her. That'll make for a great story! Right?  :twak:

Oh and while we are at it lets make the main villain an overgrown emo teenager. That will go great with our hero demigoddess!  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #636 on: July 09, 2018, 03:23:48 PM
R1 made me sad. :(
Like a proper good war movie. :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #637 on: July 09, 2018, 03:27:46 PM
I never liked the princesses and princes in outer space aspect of star wars but I really like the aesthetics (excluding cute furry characters intended for selling merchandise). But what the smurf did they think when they thought up Rey? Just make the hero so overpowered that no one else stands a chance against her. That'll make for a great story! Right?  :twak:

Oh and while we are at it lets make the main villain an overgrown emo teenager. That will go great with our hero demigoddess!  :D

Lol! Let's not forget what a whiney teen Luke was in the beginning, And how he ignored Yoda's advice because he thought he knew best - And C3PO  :facepalm:

Seriously though, there is a lot wrong with Star Wars, but that's not necessarily an new thing - Although the space battles and ships etc are cool, the dialogue and plot have always been dicey.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #638 on: July 09, 2018, 03:37:01 PM
 :rofl:

:cheers:

make the main villain an overgrown emo teenager.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #639 on: July 09, 2018, 03:41:48 PM
I put it to you that NOBODY can or will make movies to match the originals.

We've become so spoiled by the special effects that likely never again will movies have the impact Star Wars had.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #640 on: July 09, 2018, 03:46:38 PM

Lol! Let's not forget what a whiney teen Luke was in the beginning, And how he ignored Yoda's advice because he thought he knew best - And C3PO  :facepalm:

Seriously though, there is a lot wrong with Star Wars, but that's not necessarily an new thing - Although the space battles and ships etc are cool, the dialogue and plot have always been dicey.
And let’s not bring up Parsecs. :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #641 on: July 09, 2018, 03:48:22 PM
Agreed.

SW has also done a lot of damage to the film industry - for every well plotted, well acted film there are about a hundred lazy cliched superhero/gangster/'grossout comedy/lowest common denominator horror flicks, and everything is made with one etye on the merch and sequel/prequel/spinoff.

It may turn out to be great news that Solo bombed - Disney might think twice about making the same film over and over again with Boba Fett, Obi Wan, Jar Jar, the Ewoks, Chewy's mum, young Leia, etc etc ad nauseum.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #642 on: July 09, 2018, 03:49:13 PM

And let’s not bring up Parsecs. :facepalm:
OK Pabs  :D Consider it not brought up  :tu:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #643 on: July 09, 2018, 04:19:51 PM
Agreed.

SW has also done a lot of damage to the film industry - for every well plotted, well acted film there are about a hundred lazy cliched superhero/gangster/'grossout comedy/lowest common denominator horror flicks, and everything is made with one etye on the merch and sequel/prequel/spinoff.

It may turn out to be great news that Solo bombed - Disney might think twice about making the same film over and over again with Boba Fett, Obi Wan, Jar Jar, the Ewoks, Chewy's mum, young Leia, etc etc ad nauseum.

Don't get me started on the Han Solo. First the before mentioned overgrown emo uses him to enact half of the Oedipus complex (let's just hope Disney is willing to let things be half done in this instance...  :facepalm:). Then they butcher his origin story (or so I hear). The only main character I really liked. He is just a regular human. He is not the one. He has no access magic abilities. He is not a part of aristocracy. All his awesomeness depends solely on him having guts, skill and brains (ok, there is also the awesome ship, a huge wookiee sidekick and a blaster but still).  :ahhh :twak:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:21:25 PM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #644 on: July 09, 2018, 04:23:21 PM
yes Rogue One was the best of the bunch of new films  :tu:

and let us not forget the annoying, really bothersome young Anakin, his bad acting, impolite manners and sense of greatness  :ahhh that luckily taught him a lesson  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #645 on: July 09, 2018, 04:27:09 PM

and let us not forget the annoying, really bothersome young Anakin, his bad acting, impolite manners and sense of greatness  :ahhh that luckily taught him a lesson  :D
Absolutely!

And what about Ewan McGregors excrable Obi Wan performance. And that accent  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:28:28 PM by magentus »

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #646 on: July 09, 2018, 04:29:46 PM
Solo seems to have flopped purely on the basis that everyone was saying what a disaster and how awful it was before it was even finished, let alone seen.  The fact that it is, apparently, really quite good seems to have taken everyone by surprise.  I'm most gutting that it's failing seems to have scuppered the plans for a Kenobi film that was further along the pipeline than anyone knew.   :-\

I agree with Mags in that The Force Awakens is a definitely a good Star Wars film and that Rogue One is the best of the new ones I've seen.  There is far too much I dislike in the story of Last Jedi (too much for me to care to list) but I still think there stuff in there to enjoy and, very importantly, it's still better than any of the horrifically mishandled prequels.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #647 on: July 09, 2018, 04:36:41 PM

Absolutely!

And what about Ewan McGregors excrable Obi Wan performance. And that accent  :facepalm:

Given that he's a known good actor, any fault with the performance has to be laid at the feet of the director.  That goes for any good actor that somehow seems to throw out a turkey or two.  It's always the director who gets to say "OK, that'll do".  I'd have loved to have seen him as Kenobi in a well made film.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #648 on: July 09, 2018, 04:57:32 PM
and what about Liam Neeson  :facepalm:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #649 on: July 09, 2018, 07:29:10 PM
and what about Liam Neeson  :facepalm:
Directors fault again!

I don't like how people keep bashing movies before they're released. Group thinking is a powerful thing and has sunk good movies before they were even released. :-\
And on the flipside, group thinking has elevated bad movies to top tier status. :facepalm: :D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:30:24 PM by Don Pablo »

All hail the hook!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #650 on: July 10, 2018, 02:35:30 AM
Solo seems to have flopped purely on the basis that everyone was saying what a disaster and how awful it was before it was even finished, let alone seen. 

I agree- people were told to hate it before it came out. There were things about it that were annoying, but all minor. This died for two reasons- bad timing on the release (should have held off until December) and the power of social media's "3 Minute Hate". If decaff is a dangerous state of mind, then groupthink is a hundred times worse. Sure, there were directorial issues and turn over, but that should have all died when Ron Howard was picked up to direct. One, he's a damn good director. Two, he's a fan. And three, this brings him full circle- American Graffiti was Lucas' big break out, and it was also Howards first adult role and put him next to Harrison Ford. Once Ron Howard was the student, now he is a master. Sure, we can kibitz about "parsecs", but it was a loan word.

Even the L3 hate is a case of Yoda's Tree- bring with you your baggage you will. I was very concerned by what I'd heard before hand, and I was wondering what people were talking about. I work with a hyper annoying SJW, so maybe after putting up were it's 205 proof stupidity L3 was nothing. But to me, she was no more an SJW than Fredrick Douglas or Malcom X in their early days. I did find her Pinnochio syndrome annoying, but hey, Luke wants to be a real Jedi. :P Then again, I've always been pushing for "droid rights" in that universe. Pass the Turing Test, you're in the class of people- not all droids pass, neither to all real world humans.

Besides, has anyone else read what kind of insanity old George had in mind for the third trilogy? Miniaturization and talking to microflauna that would have been the Whillis? Really, we're saying what we're getting is bad compared to that? Even JJ Abrams' exercise in authorized fan fiction and it's follow up are better than that. Solo got screwed. And for people who are still pouting because there were no Jedi in Rogue One, remember- it's the story that took 40 years to declassify. And, yes, there was a bad Jedi.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #651 on: July 10, 2018, 02:40:13 AM
R1 made me sad. :(
Like a proper good war movie. :salute:

It didn't make me sad. Made me jealous. Call me weird, but dying well is a glorious goal in life.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #652 on: July 10, 2018, 01:34:59 PM
Anyone else happy that the coolest cat in a galaxy far far away is coming back?  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-billy-dee-williams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #653 on: July 11, 2018, 03:17:27 AM
Anyone else happy that the coolest cat in a galaxy far far away is coming back?  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-billy-dee-williams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

I'm thinking a very stern talking to by Uncle Lando and Uncle Chewie is in Kylo's future.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #654 on: July 11, 2018, 08:16:36 AM

I'm thinking a very stern talking to by Uncle Lando and Uncle Chewie is in Kylo's future.
Well if he comes back to the light like Grandpappa Vader, that could well be a possibility.

All hail the hook!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #655 on: July 11, 2018, 09:57:54 AM
When leaving the theatre both TFA and TLJ left me feeling like the franchise is on it's way down. No amount of over explaining why they did things after you watch it will make me like them any more. There were some clearly stupid decisions made in the making. There were some good moments and bits, but overall regardless of whether you see them as copies of the originals (let's face it, they sort of need to be a little bit) or something different there are a few ideas in it that clearly should never have made it past the cutting room floor.

I felt Rogue One and Solo were as they should be, and had a good feeling after watching them in spite of a few nitpicks. I'd almost prefer more like this than any more of the third trilogy. It's not about familiar characters (although a reference to one goes a long way into building credibility) but more about maintaining the universe feeling.

At this point there is now so much lore in both the canon and Expanded Universe (ie: all the books and stuff before the mouse took over) that doesn't make sense due to rewriting bits in between that adding even more new ideas into it just ruins it all further. I read a lot of the old books, comics, and watched most if not all the cartoon series to boot. There's some really great stuff there that would be great to see in a feature film. Instead we get Leia superman flying through space, and children suddenly having advanced force skills with zero training.  :facepalm:

As for the cartoons: I had feared that Rebels would have too much of a Disney Princess/Aladdin feel (at least at first it really did look like that was the direction they were taking) but I was pleasantly surprised and the sheer amount of Mandalorian lore added is rather impressive, and the look and feel got grittier as it went on. The Clone Wars was similar, it got pretty dark towards the end and was obviously catering to more mature fans than kids.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #656 on: July 12, 2018, 04:42:18 AM
As for the cartoons

Dave Filoni brought me back.

The first movie I ever saw in a theatre was New Hope, back when it was just Star Wars. I breathed it, I was a hard core fan through the 90s. I was confused and left ill by the special editions. And then.... Phantom Menace happened. It felt like George left a great big steaming smurf in my blue milk. Then Attack of the Clones. I was out, I was done. Sith, I didn't even see it in the theater. I didn't see it for six years.

Someone got me to watch the first episode of Clone Wars, not the movie but S1E1 with Yoda and a squad of troopers. And I was back, like I'd never left. As a general scoundrel put it, I was "home". I loved Clone Wars and I do wish I could get a poster of all the Jedi fortune cookies from CW. I will not deny that I nearly cried for 99 and Fives.

And with Rebels, I was in before we even saw Kannan was.

So I'm a Star Wars fan of high order again. Thank you, Master Filoni.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #657 on: July 20, 2018, 07:03:00 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh  :ahhh :ahhh
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #658 on: July 20, 2018, 11:12:56 PM
Ooooh.

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #659 on: July 20, 2018, 11:15:43 PM
The bit with the helmets at the beginning felt very creepy with sound off.  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69