Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Call the Coast Guard!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Call the Coast Guard!
on: January 27, 2013, 07:19:04 PM
A few years ago in the SOSAK forum at KF someone (I'm thinking Karl for some reason...) posted a link to a special SAK model that Wenger did for the Canadian Coast Guard Auxilliary.  It's not a special model, just one that has the CCGA logo on it's scales. 

I posted some info on it on SOSAKOnline some time ago.

But, this post is not about a Wenger SAK.  If it was it wouldn't be in the cheap forum!  While looking at the SAK on their website I also decided to add in a PST clone, also marked with the CCGA logo.

It's a PST clone inasmuch as it's a box type folding plier tool, however the internals are a different configuration to the PST we all know and love.  I have to say that I'm glad that this is just a doodad sold to make a few bucks to support their annual Christmas party rather than actual issue as I'd hate to think the guys responsible for saving my hiney are using knockoffs.

That having been said, this is actually not a bad knockoff, quality wise.  It doesn't suffer from the usual flimsiness associated with cheap garbage, and while some of the tools (like the saw for example) don't seem ultra efficient, they also don't seem like they'd fail during the first use.

There's an interesting implement in this one- you can see the folding block in this one that fits into an adaptor that allows it to use the bit set that also rides inside the "old sock" type sheath.  While it does take away one spot inside the tool, it's a nice feature since it allows you to use different bits.

Even so, this one suffers from having too many bloody screwdrivers already, but since it has an awl I suppose I can overlook the lack of imagination.  Also, the scissors don't suck, which is a surprise coming from the average cheapo.

Perhaps the most interesting part of this one is that the company that provided it are willing to actually have their name on it.  While ESP Bienne did not make this tool, they still put their name inside it, which shows some faith in the product.

All in all, I have to say that this is a pretty decent tool for what it is.  It likely won't survive as long as a PST, but it's a far cry better than most other cheapos that are out there.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Call the Coast Guard!
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 07:29:35 PM
that one really does look to be a cut above the average clone. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:31:35 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:35:25 PM
I think it was $15-20 but I honestly can't remember.  I'd had it and the SAK long before I wrote that SOSAKOnline article in 2008.  I'd say it was probably 2006-2007 that I bought it, so it really is anyone's guess.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:57:12 PM
Interesting def  :tu: no philips  :-\ but cap crimper and what looks like normal pliers wire cutters that don't cross  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 10:13:10 PM
Yeah that gets to me too. I think there is no Phillips driver because of the bit set that goes with it, but then why have so many flatheads?

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:41:41 PM
The scissors look like SAK ones, perhaps they why they aren't awful!

As for that plier head - what's up with that?! :think:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 11:45:48 PM
The scissors on a SAK-alike look like SAK scissors too, but are terrible.

And on the plier head... yeah, not the best design I've seen. Otherwise, the tool looks nice.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%