Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest SAK?

edap617 · 37555 · 2562046

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: What's your latest SAK?
Reply #37530 on: May 17, 2024, 02:50:06 AM
  Yes I got the nice black Alox Bantam from Dan.  A gift from a friend.  I appreciate it and also the scale tools you sent along.  The nice red cellidor came from BPRoberts.  A Christmas present from a friend.  And the only Santy Claus that I got this year.  I appreciate it and the pry bar and cookies as well. 
    As a side note, I finally got some tree removal booked.  Now all I need is to get a new deck belt on my Cub and I will be set for a while.  Maybe.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :like: :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #37531 on: May 17, 2024, 03:11:06 AM
I guess my place could use some tree trimming, too. But someone else will have to make that decision. Hope yours gets done in a timely manner!
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #37532 on: May 17, 2024, 03:41:26 AM
    I have one just like it.  Right over here...... Somewhere........?  It's gone!  You rascal.  Sneaked in while I was trying to fix my lawnmower and filched it.  Why, I ought to.....
    Wait a minute.  I found mine on my dresser.  Whew!  I was about to get agitated.  Be careful if you try to use that screwdriver.  The saw blade will close on your fingers in a jiffy.  You will wind up turning your Hittite pages with bandaged fingers.  I got more bites from the saw than from all the other tools combined.  Best wishes.  G
 :ahhh

Did you find it?? Do you have any other tips on use or maintenance of this guy? You know your stuff! And fortunately, my Hittite exam is over. I got a 76%. The class average was ~43% and one student got a 6%. Not 60... but 6... ???

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #37533 on: May 17, 2024, 04:15:38 AM
    Aside from the saw cautionary tale, I don't know anything else to tell you.  The can opener is not very good.  I have no idea where to find a saw guard.  Mine came with a red box and a olive drab plastic slip but no guard.  I bought it new in Dalton, Georgia. 
    Those sound like some low grades even for ancient Hittite.  At first, I thought you wrote -43. I was trying to figure out how to make a below zero score.  Best wishes.  G
 :D

PXL_20231018_153449279 (1).jpg
* PXL_20231018_153449279 (1).jpg (Filesize: 45.14 KB)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 04:26:08 AM by IMR4198 »

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #37534 on: May 17, 2024, 02:17:46 PM
Gary, you have gotten at least ten times your money's worth out of the Trooper. It's a great testament to Victorinox quality! :like:

As for the replacement saw cover, I did come up with a couple if ideas: an eBay seller known as viktryls and Marc's Army Knives.

Show content
It should be noted that Marc knows what he has and prices accordingly. You might find yourself looking for stuff to hock or taking out a second mortgage. :D
USN 2000-2006

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #37535 on: May 17, 2024, 02:26:43 PM
   My anti-virus app alerted on the Marc's site.  Infected with a virus.  Might want to take that one down.
   The blades are still tight in the old thing.  Scales are split and patched together.  It will outlast me.   
 Best wishes.  Gary

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #37536 on: May 17, 2024, 02:44:43 PM
That's odd. I tried it on three different devices, and all said the connection was secure. Others are better qualified to say if it's an issue with your antivirus software or the site. I'll leave removal of the link to the discretion of the moderating team.
USN 2000-2006

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #37537 on: May 17, 2024, 09:18:01 PM
Been a while.
I picked up a cybertool, the lite version before it was too late. It came with Red ruby scales, that I swapped for Silvertech ones, to stay monochrome.

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_edc

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #37538 on: May 17, 2024, 11:28:42 PM
Thank you Gary and Mr. Farmer X, but unfortunately I can't find the saw cover on either of those sites (or on the very large electronic Bay marketplace). Also, some observations on the 108mm. The multitool thing scrapes against the liner when opening, the blade clunks a bit when opening and closing, the awl/reamer is actually capable of cutting because of the angle of the grind (it's effectively a flat-ground blade), it's heavy, it's large, the multitool isn't polished, the grip is somewhat uncomfortable when using either tool due to the non-used tool jutting out a bit much from the scale, and the saw only cuts in one direction. All that being said, I love this thing. It's got the best grip of any SAK I've ever owned, the blade is enormous and perfect, the screwdriver is at the end of a long tool and consequently works like a standard screwdriver (but as Gary said it is prone to closing on one's hand), and it's just fun to use! I want to attach a 1/8" shackle to the lanyard hole and attach that to a chain or paracord lanyard. Oh, and as an aside, I got -10% on my first math test of grade 10. I argued with the teacher before the test started so she gave me -10% and then I got every question wrong...

* Trooper 03.jpg (Filesize: 67.18 KB)

* Trooper 04.jpg (Filesize: 44.42 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #37539 on: May 17, 2024, 11:58:44 PM
    I think you have scoped out the major features of the 108mm quite well.  I really like the checkered grip.  You might be surprised how much better the saw cuts than a regular SAK with a saw.  I would cut on the pull, then push the saw back which would clear lots of the chips from the teeth and pull again.  I have sawed some pretty good-sized things.  The awl will cut a perfect hole in heavy plastic.  Clean as a drill.  Punch it through and turn.  I fixed some lawn mower fittings with mine.  It is also great for punching holes in light metal.  Open the awl.  Pound on the top of the GAK with your fist to drive it through. 
    People get tired of reading about my everyday carry.  I am going to have to stop.  Best wishes.  G
 :whistle:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #37540 on: May 18, 2024, 01:04:16 AM
A big one ...

(Image removed from quote.)
How do you like it?

I’ve eyed those up a time or several, but they just seemed too heavy and too pricey for what they are, and I haven’t pulled the trigger.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #37541 on: May 18, 2024, 02:21:25 AM
Unfortunately I can't find the saw cover on either of those sites.
Gary is doubtless much more qualified than I am to say for sure, but the saw teeth cover looks like stamped sheet steel to me. (I've only seen them in photos.) If I'm right, I don't imagine making one would be too difficult.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #37542 on: May 18, 2024, 02:51:56 AM
   I think you could make something, or you could always put a strip of duct tape over the saw.  Not elegant but workable.  Peel it off when you need to cut.  Probably wind up needing the duct tape instead.  Some kind of plastic tape might even be better.  It will have to be thin.   
PXL_20240518_004343790.jpg
* PXL_20240518_004343790.jpg (Filesize: 74.34 KB)

There should have been a liner lock on these GAKs to begin with.  At least on the saw.  Best wishes.  G

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #37543 on: May 18, 2024, 03:48:21 AM
You know what, that would actually solve two problems at once... Both the scraping against the liner and the not having the saw cover. I very very rarely say this but I think that one thing that would make this a much better knife would be if it were automatic. I'm not even sure if it could be customised to do that but perhaps somehow where sliding the whole scale down would activate the blade (see rudimentary photo below) like some of the Rainy Vallotton autos I've seen.

* Trooper auto.jpg (Filesize: 27.84 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #37544 on: May 18, 2024, 04:27:41 AM
    Are you going to have the blade spring open, or the saw?  Do you like autos?  My Dad picked up one somewhere and put it in a drawer and forgot about it.  I would take it out and piddle with it now and then.  I didn't really warm up to the whole auto thing.  I must have been about 12 or so.  Best wishes.  G
 ;)

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #37545 on: May 18, 2024, 05:04:30 AM
Black Tinker.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline ThisAlarm7

Reply #37546 on: May 18, 2024, 03:17:56 PM
Picked up this sweet Rambler off DLT.

* unnamed.jpg (Filesize: 98.9 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #37547 on: May 18, 2024, 05:11:41 PM
I very very rarely say this but I think that one thing that would make this a much better knife would be if it were automatic. I'm not even sure if it could be customised to do that...
I'm sure it's possible, but you'd have to be a highly skilled engineer and "knife mechanic" to make it a reality.

Picked up this sweet Rambler off DLT.
That is indeed sweet. I'm tempted to get one in the distant future!
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #37548 on: May 18, 2024, 11:35:10 PM
This one also arrived and luckily it did have a saw cover! Anyone have any ideas on how to get the bail off? And yes, some autos are nice although I'd never really carry them around. Many knives can be opened even faster. Has anyone on this site modded a SAK to make it auto?

* Hunter 00.jpg (Filesize: 113.12 KB)

* Hunter 01.jpg (Filesize: 36.02 KB)

* Hunter 02.jpg (Filesize: 42.59 KB)

* Hunter 03.jpg (Filesize: 46.39 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #37549 on: May 19, 2024, 12:08:56 AM
   Nice one, Mr. T.  I will send along a chart so you can see all the variations for the 108mm.  I never tried to take a bail off a SAK.  Didn't you want to put a bail ON the olive drab one?  The chart is one of SAAM's from a now defunct web site.  Best wishes.  G

Screenshot (119).jpg
* Screenshot (119).jpg (Filesize: 77.19 KB)

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #37550 on: May 19, 2024, 03:20:16 AM
Yes  :facepalm: I want to take the bail off of this one because it's not in great shape and perhaps put a different one on the Trooper -- maybe a shackle, but it would have to be a 1/8" one and those seem impossible to find :(. I will probably just put the saw cover on whichever SAK I'm carrying with me that day.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #37551 on: May 19, 2024, 03:33:35 AM
   You know if you try to spread the bail to take it off and you slip up....    I have taken bails off of boy scout type knives using pliers.  They are usually just crimped on.  A broken scale on the 108 would be just so sad.  If you don't want to salvage it, the easy way is to cut the bail with a file or moto tool. 
    If the bail is just dinged up, it should be easy to clean it up with some file work and abrasive.  Let us know how it goes.  Best wishes.  G
 :think:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 03:39:04 AM by IMR4198 »

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #37552 on: May 19, 2024, 04:00:13 AM
This one also arrived and luckily it did have a saw cover! Anyone have any ideas on how to get the bail off?
Those scales sure are spiffy! Are they stag? I'd leave the shackle alone unless it's bent. But if it has to go, follow Gary's advice and take a Dremel or similar to it. You could also use a jeweler's saw with a suitable blade.

The chart is one of SAAM's from a now defunct web site.
Turns out my 108mm of choice would be a Pathfinder, but I'd be delighted with a Walther or a Mauser. The chart is very useful. Thanks for sharing it! :cheers:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #37553 on: May 19, 2024, 12:57:54 PM
   Shackle is probably not original?  You figured that already, right?  It looks like it might be plated steel, with part of the plating worn off.  Is that what you meant by bad condition?  Best wishes. G
 :think:

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #37554 on: May 19, 2024, 04:16:19 PM
No, I don't think they're real stag -- feel more like cheapish plastic. And yes, Mr. G, the bail is a bit worn and looks almost like there's some rust or gunk or something. It's also bent such that it doesn't do full rotations, only about 55°.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 04:25:50 PM by Tuisto »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD