Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you carry a supplemental Sak along with another knife?

Poll

Do you carry a Sak along with another brand knife?

Yes, its 58mm
10 (33.3%)
Yes, its 74 or 84mm
2 (6.7%)
Yes, its 91 or 93mm
7 (23.3%)
No I carry a SAK with my SAK(what sizes?)
7 (23.3%)
No, I only carry one SAK (what model?)
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

us Offline psyjohn

Re: Do you carry a supplemental Sak along with another knife?
Reply #30 on: April 18, 2024, 10:58:11 PM
With me every day:

* 20240418_165524.jpg (Filesize: 231.44 KB)

us Offline Enginears

If anyone is still interested in what to carry with a SAK, one of the best combos I ever carried was a Victorinox Mountaineer paired with a Leatherman Sidekick.  The Mountaineer has a decent file / metal saw, and scissors, while the Sidekick has a pretty good one hand opening knife blade and a wood saw.  Not a lot of redundancy or wasted space there. :cheers:

That is an interesting and efficient combo for having a lot of tools and not a lot of overlap.

I would love to carry a Sidekick (or Wingman) but alas - UK+EDC = Non starter (mostly)  ::)

This blows me away, and kind of freaks me out. I have no basis for understanding how the knife laws over there, and other places get to be so stringent. Whats your take?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
I have no basis for understanding how the knife laws over there, and other places get to be so stringent. Whats your take?

1.  Private citizens have no constitutional right to keep and bear arms.
2.  In the name of public safety, the government effectively bans private ownership of firearms.
3.  Violent criminals continue to use whatever means are readily available (frequently knives) to commit violent crimes.
4.  As a practical matter, knives can’t be completely banned, but in the name of public safety, the government tightly restricts their ownership and carry.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Yes, I am used to carry at least two knives, a modern one-hand-open folder and a SAK.
- The modern knife is usually a Spyderco or CRK with a 3-4 inch blade.
- The SAK is usually an alox Pioneer 9/10 times, but I also like the Spartan, Sportsman and Cadet.
- I have one of those bladeless SwissCards in my wallet for the small tools. A rambler in the coin pocket is a good alternative.

« Last Edit: Today at 02:06:08 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

gb Offline Karmos

• New User
  • One does not simply walk into mordor
Yes it's usually my climber, Spartan or mini champ depending on what I'm up to that day

us Offline Enginears

With me every day:

That is an amazing combo. For a while I was carrying a Pioneer and Ambassador and thought they were a great compliment but the Executives seem better without much more bulk. I like what you have done to your small blade, looks useful for many things.

us Offline Enginears

Yes, I am used to carry at least two knives, a modern one-hand-open folder and a SAK.
- The modern knife is usually a Spyderco or CRK with a 3-4 inch blade.
- The SAK is usually an alox Pioneer 9/10 times, but I also like the Spartan, Sportsman and Cadet.
- I have one of those bladeless SwissCards in my wallet for the small tools. A rambler in the coin pocket is a good alternative.

How often are you not carrying the Rambler/swiss card? I notice your other saks all are scissorless.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Well, I’m not Alan but I do have one of those Myerchins, and the answer is yes, it can opened with one hand.

thanks Nate
 :cheers:

Yes.  Nate is correct.  The shackle key cut out on the Myerchin blades is a good thumb hole once you get used to the shape.  Here's another shot of my second generation plain edge and my first gen partially serrated with a fixed blade version.  A word of caution, however, is if you're looking for a used Myerchin rigging knife they do not extend any warranty coverage if you're not the original owner.  So, if you buy it on E-Bay, and it breaks, you'll just have to buy another one.

thanks Alan for the heads up on getting one from eBay- that's exactly what I was doing but it seems that they go for about the same price as a new one so I'll probably just get a brand new shiny one!

I'm a big fan of titanium and that knife looks so sleek and useful. definitely was looking for something that is OHO for when I'm out on the boat and with the added marlinspike it really looks like a winner.

:hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD