Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SAK is getting pocket time today?

k12cop · 43684 · 1548850

us Offline Buzzbait

Re: Which SAK is getting pocket time today?
Reply #37110 on: June 11, 2019, 03:02:44 PM
Thanks WS. Here’s a better pic. Quite a lump to suspend on the belt, but it carries OK about halfway down the pocket when upright, but pulls the pocket a little sideways when seated. Not an easy fix other than switching to belt pouch or suspending directly off the belt (which could work but will expose the SAK). CyberTool slightly heavier and wider than the SwissChamp, even though it’s a layer less. I’m approaching the end of my journey “through the layers”, which has turned out to be very useful.  :tu:

Wow. Heavier and wider than a SwissChamp. That's a monster.

I think the SwissChamp is as much as I can handle. I'd actually prefer the SwissChamp to be around the size of a Cybertool 34, but I can think of any layers that I'd be willing to lose at this point, in order to get it down to that width.

Hmmmmmm....... An Explorer Plus with pliers would be a nice compromise. After summertime is over, I might have to pursue that possibility, Like A Cybertool 34, but with magnifier and inline Phillips instead of a bit driver. Sort of a RetroTool.
--
'Buzz

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37111 on: June 11, 2019, 03:14:55 PM
CyberTool Lite adds the magnifier (and LED), giving you scissors, pliers, bit driver (for inline Phillips, etc). Still 6-layers, but maybe a good option short of modding an Explorer?
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #37112 on: June 11, 2019, 05:14:43 PM
CyberTool Lite adds the magnifier (and LED), giving you scissors, pliers, bit driver (for inline Phillips, etc). Still 6-layers, but maybe a good option short of modding an Explorer?

The Cybertool lite has possibilities, but I was really trying to get it down to a 5-layer knife like the Cybertool 34. 5 layers is very comfortable for me. The large spear blade feels perfectly controllable at 5-layers in my hands. And the flashlight ofthe Cybertool lite feels kind of gimmicky to me.

The easiest way out might be for me to take one of my existing SwissChamps, and remove the wood saw and fish scaler layers. It would be an off-season and urban knife, without the dedicated outdoor layers.
--
'Buzz

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37113 on: June 11, 2019, 08:10:15 PM
...also easier to rebuild as you can use the existing rods. Just please don’t do it to the Warthog.  :facepalm:

I’m finishing my personal “through the layers” challenge tomorrow, ending with the SwissChamp, and have 2 suspension clips to try. Made up the shorter one tonight with some new shackles just in.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #37114 on: June 11, 2019, 08:49:38 PM
Hopefully one of them will work for you Max  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #37115 on: June 11, 2019, 09:03:58 PM
Swiss Champ is great carry.
when I carry mine I wear a belt pouch I will have to try a clip.
Today I am carrying a Mechanic Small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #37116 on: June 11, 2019, 09:14:05 PM
Great carry Mike  :like: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37117 on: June 11, 2019, 09:38:33 PM
Hopefully one of them will work for you Max  :like: :tu:

Thanks WS and nice Mechanic Mike.  :like:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37118 on: June 11, 2019, 09:39:25 PM
...Mike and the Mechanics...

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #37119 on: June 12, 2019, 12:01:40 AM
Thanks, WS and Max, Mechanic Mike I like it.  :tu: I remember the band named Mike and the Mechanics. I don't remember their music at all.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #37120 on: June 12, 2019, 02:15:15 AM
Went with the black "Pioneer X" for today's tote. 8)'

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #37121 on: June 12, 2019, 03:37:13 AM
Went with the black "Pioneer X" for today's tote. 8)'

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
the black ones are really cool, but I have a hard time moving on from Red!   :dunno:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37122 on: June 12, 2019, 09:19:08 AM
I've decided to carry one of my more obscure Wengers; the Diplomat. https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Diplomat

20190612_080805.jpg
* 20190612_080805.jpg (Filesize: 192.19 KB)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #37123 on: June 12, 2019, 12:31:23 PM
Great carries eTripper and Gareth  :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37124 on: June 12, 2019, 02:40:41 PM
Lovely Wenger, G.

What a great model that is!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37125 on: June 12, 2019, 03:14:14 PM
Thanks, WS and Max, Mechanic Mike I like it.  :tu: I remember the band named Mike and the Mechanics. I don't remember their music at all.

Does go back a while...to the mid-80s. One recognizable tune of theirs is “The Living Years” ...Say it loud (say it loud), say it clear (oh say it clear) / You can listen as well as you hear / It's too late (it's too late) when we die (oh when we die) / To admit we don't see eye to eye...

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37126 on: June 12, 2019, 03:33:25 PM
And great carries eTripper and Gareth.  :like:

My final level-up today with the SwissChamp. Have been playing around trying to find the best carry method and it definitely helps shortening the suspension length just enough that it stays in the pocket when seated, but short enough that the area of ‘swing’ is limited. This keeps it almost always taking its weight on the belt and not the pocket lining. But the belt clip must be directly above the top of the pocket to keep it hidden.

After my week of carrying up through the layers, I definitely feel that the 2/3-layer SAKs simply disappear and get forgotten in the pocket on a longer suspension chain (still my preference), while the 4/5-layers are still OK but make their presence known with the odd nudge and push as they shift around. 6/7/8-layers becomes very noticeable in the pocket and need a much more precise carry setup (like below) if you want a comfortable EDC.

Like anything, this is a personal thing and just what works for me for what I do and wear day-to-day. Your mileage may vary.  :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #37127 on: June 12, 2019, 04:10:28 PM
Looks good Max  :like:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37128 on: June 12, 2019, 04:18:12 PM
Thanks WS. Still slips out the pocket sometimes (like in the car), so may lengthen a couple cm. The lengths we go to to carry our SAKs  :salute:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #37129 on: June 12, 2019, 04:21:34 PM
It has to be the right way Max  :tu:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #37130 on: June 12, 2019, 05:31:29 PM
And great carries eTripper and Gareth.  :like:

My final level-up today with the SwissChamp. Have been playing around trying to find the best carry method and it definitely helps shortening the suspension length just enough that it stays in the pocket when seated, but short enough that the area of ‘swing’ is limited. This keeps it almost always taking its weight on the belt and not the pocket lining. But the belt clip must be directly above the top of the pocket to keep it hidden.

After my week of carrying up through the layers, I definitely feel that the 2/3-layer SAKs simply disappear and get forgotten in the pocket on a longer suspension chain (still my preference), while the 4/5-layers are still OK but make their presence known with the odd nudge and push as they shift around. 6/7/8-layers becomes very noticeable in the pocket and need a much more precise carry setup (like below) if you want a comfortable EDC.

Like anything, this is a personal thing and just what works for me for what I do and wear day-to-day. Your mileage may vary.  :cheers:

It's great to see wearing a SwissChamp today!!!

A simple paracord or leather fob can make it much easier to deal with pocket depth when suspending a knife. Clip the belt hanger/ suspension clip to the SAK's keyring for a higher riding carry. Clip the belt hanger/ suspension clip to a free spot on the length of fob to allow the knife the suspend more deeply into the pocket. If you're the ingenuitive type, as we SAK carrying chaps tend to be, you can design the fob with a number of different length attachment points, in order to fine tune your carry to each day's specific fit of pants.

I am obviously still riding the Warthog wave of awesomeness.

--
'Buzz

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #37131 on: June 12, 2019, 05:55:18 PM
Great carry and pics Buzz  :like: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37132 on: June 12, 2019, 07:12:13 PM
Great idea to use a woven paracord lanyard, thanks Buzz  :hatsoff:  will be a weekend project for me.  :tu:

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #37133 on: June 13, 2019, 12:49:22 AM
I know! I'm using a gifted clip, ti, color makes it blend to all but teal light pants. Bit longer and wider than P7 so I like it for Huntsman.
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #37134 on: June 13, 2019, 04:59:54 AM
Did a 'black alox' redux.

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #37135 on: June 13, 2019, 12:22:55 PM
Nice pic eTripper  :like: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37136 on: June 13, 2019, 12:47:27 PM
Nice Alox eTripper.  :like:

Another day with my SC. Trying a longer (but still shortish) lanyard today. Working much better as the SAK rides just inside the pocket (no escape tricks) and does not pull the pocket lining too much when seated. I think I can live with this setup!  :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #37137 on: June 13, 2019, 12:51:46 PM
Glad you found the right setup Max  :like: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37138 on: June 13, 2019, 12:59:08 PM
 :hatsoff: me too! No excuses not to carry now.  :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #37139 on: June 13, 2019, 02:31:10 PM
Excellent  :tu: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31