Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Jeepers out there?

Thisjk38 · 1143 · 57343

us Offline Thisjk38

Any Jeepers out there?
on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:47 AM
Just curious any of my fellow Multitool enthusiast also Jeep enthusiast? Doesn't matter to me what kind you have just as long as it says "Jeep" on the hood. I own a 2011 JK Wrangler Unlimited (hence my name thisJK). I would love a 95 YJ down the line or a Cherokee XJ to take up some drive way space with my JK. So who out there also loves the General Purpose vechicle (GP= Jeep, military nick name)?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Any Jeepers out there?
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:28:26 PM
I'm picking up my new 2013 JKU Sahara later today and that means I'll be retiring and selling of my 2000 TJ Sport.

Someone is going to get a great deal on an awesome truck.  I hate to sell it but the wife says I can't have both.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:47:19 PM
Yep, there's definitely Jeep lovers here!  I drive an 02 Grand Cherokee.  I would like to get a Wrangler, but we need the Grand to tow our trailer.

It does say Jeep on the hood, but you can't always read it  :D

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:09:01 PM
I'm picking up my new 2013 JKU Sahara later today and that means I'll be retiring and selling of my 2000 TJ Sport.

Someone is going to get a great deal on an awesome truck.  I hate to sell it but the wife says I can't have both.

Def

Congrats on the new JKU. Post pics when you get it. I'm sorry about having to sell your TJ. I wish I could have two myself but that wouldn't be very practical. I'm sure it'll make someone very happy.
Enjoy that new engine. I've heard great things about it. I never want to try it out since I missed by a couple  of months. I figure if I never experience it then I'll never know what I'm missing.

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 02:13:20 PM

It does say Jeep on the hood, but you can't always read it  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice Pic. One thing I do wish the wrangler had was more torque and Hp to do some real towing. If I need to pull something I end up using my fathers '05 Grand Cherokee.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:14:21 PM
The Wrangler has the torque but not the wheelbase for towing. That's a large part of why I'm getting a 4 door this time.  Here's a photo the dealer sent me when it arrived a few days ago.

Oh, and that's my yellow TJ in Derek's photo.  :D

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

uploadfromtaptalk1359468853582.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1359468853582.jpg (Filesize: 49.12 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 05:04:42 PM

Nice Pic. One thing I do wish the wrangler had was more torque and Hp to do some real towing. If I need to pull something I end up using my fathers '05 Grand Cherokee.
Thanks.  Yeah, the V8 does have pretty good power.  235HP and 295 LB-FT of torque.  I wouldn't mind having an 05 with a HEMI, 330HP and 375 LB-FT of torque  :drool:

The Wrangler has the torque but not the wheelbase for towing. That's a large part of why I'm getting a 4 door this time.  Here's a photo the dealer sent me when it arrived a few days ago.

Def

You're right, the new Pentastar does have good power ratings, 285HP and 260 LB-FT of torque.  I didn't realize it had 50HP more than my V8  :cry: 

IMHO, the tow ratings for the 4 door should be higher.  It has a 10" longer wheelbase than my Grand, yet is rated at 3500lbs towing compared to my 6500lbs.  :think:

Honestly, I only think they rated them low like that so they could push selling the Grand, and they probably didn't want the public image of the 4 door JK to be pulling campers instead of going offroad.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 05:21:55 PM
My old 4.0L Wrangler is rated at 2,000lbs towing capacity which is nothing.  The same 4.0L was in the old Grands and Cherokees, but because of the longer wheelbase they were rated at 3,500lbs towing. 

I was tempted to buy up a pile of old weights, mount them to the front of my Jeep and tow a lot more... :P

Def

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:04:15 PM

Def

Very nice  :drool: That Commando Green is my favorite new color.  Great choice. Any mod ideas yet?

The V8s they throw in those Cherokees, really create one beast of a Machine. My really enjoy my dads '05 power and he only has a V6.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 02:22:05 AM
Well it's officially mine. I've put 120 kms on it today and got $170 ticket for having an expired registration.

On a vehicle I've had for just over six hours.

Meanwhile we have the highest police officer per capita ratio in North America and one of the highest crime rates.

And I got a ticket for expired registration for a vehicle I've owned for six hours.

How was your day? :P

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 12:09:26 PM
Yeah, but going after actual crime is, you know, dangerous and stuff. Picking on middle aged guys is much safer. :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 12:24:04 PM
I actually said something along those lines.  I believe my exact words were "I'm a fat, middle aged white guy so I don't get pulled over often."

:D

The officer didn't find that amusing apparently....

At any rate, I'm quite pleased with the new Jeep.  I already have some window visors for it, some HID lights, a CB and a bracket for the larger tires I'll put on it when the Duelers it came with wear out.  I can put 33" tires on without a lift so I'll probably do that. If I lift it I'll probably only do a 2 or 3 inch lift at most.  My boss has a 4" lift and 35" tires and it really sucks on the highway.  Since it's a spare (third) vehicle for him that's OK, but mine is my primary vehicle and needs to be able to travel.  If I do a 2-3" lift I'll probably go up to a 35" tire.

My wife drove it last night and is already planning a road trip in it to see her grandmother. 

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 12:32:00 PM
I actually said something along those lines.  I believe my exact words were "I'm a fat, middle aged white guy so I don't get pulled over often."

:D

:rofl:
The officer didn't find that amusing apparently....

At any rate, I'm quite pleased with the new Jeep.  I already have some window visors for it, some HID lights, a CB and a bracket for the larger tires I'll put on it when the Duelers it came with wear out.  I can put 33" tires on without a lift so I'll probably do that. If I lift it I'll probably only do a 2 or 3 inch lift at most.  My boss has a 4" lift and 35" tires and it really sucks on the highway.  Since it's a spare (third) vehicle for him that's OK, but mine is my primary vehicle and needs to be able to travel.  If I do a 2-3" lift I'll probably go up to a 35" tire.

My wife drove it last night and is already planning a road trip in it to see her grandmother. 

Def

Glad to hear you're liking the new Jeep!  :tu:  I thought you had 30 days to register a new vehicle?  :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 12:45:40 PM
Yes, normally you do, unless there is some problem with the police budget and they are upset about it.  While I was pulled over I saw two other people get pulled over too, and this wasn't even a checkpoint.

But I don't want people to get the idea I have anything against cops.  I just feel that like everything else in this city they are horribly mismanaged and I'm not going anymore into it as that's a political rant.

:P

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 03:33:09 PM
I don't understand how the registration can be expired... you just got it.

:facepalm:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 03:38:20 PM
Here, we have to renew our plates every two years.  The plates are transferred to a new vehicle when you buy it (or you can get new ones if you want), but if your plates are expired you can get a ticket.

We also have safety inspections that need to be done every two years.  Our government loves to take money from us (in a non-political discussion sort of way).

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 03:47:54 PM
Yeah we have similar inspections here in Spain, you're exempt for the first 4 years on a new car, then it's every 2 years until the car is 10 years old, then annually.

As for plates, the car keeps the plate issued when the car is registered the first time, there's no yearly sticker to update or anything like in Canada.

We do have an annual road tax that you pay to your local city hall, the price of which varies depending on the car and where you live.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 05:27:28 PM
Tax once a year (just paid mine...) license plates issued just once for each car, MOT type test every two years.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 05:50:30 PM
We have to renew our driver's licenses, renew the vehicle registration, renew the plates, get a safety check, pay some of the highest gas taxes in the country despite making the stuff right down the road from me (literally, in an average week I pass by several refineries, some of them several times) and still manage to drive on roads that are so rough you'd think they are just a bunch of potholes cemented together.

That's why I like my Jeep- it's designed for the kind of off roading I do on the road...

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 05:52:51 PM
Yes, things in Canada seem to need to be renewed ALOT...

My passport seems to always be due...

My Spanish drivers license however is not due until 2022... 10 years!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 03:31:03 PM
My passport is expiring right now... I suppose I should do something about renewing it...

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 03:45:00 PM
what's more annoying is renewal is the same as applying for it in the first place... unnecessarily complicated. it really should be every 10 years...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 04:10:41 PM
I just looked at the renewal application form.  Apparently it's the original application form as well, only now I check the box marked "Renewal" rather than "New."

:facepalm:

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 07:17:43 PM
yes, that's more or less the deal... plus you have to do all the same verification stuff as before, and this time you can send your old passport in... you'd think that sending in the old passport proved you are still the person they verified you to be last time...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 08:13:10 PM
Got to justify the high prices some how.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 08:25:11 PM
That's another thing that gets me... passport/ID stuff in Spain is a lot easier... and they are for longer periods and tend to be a lot cheaper... if they cost anything at all.

Making passports last longer would reduce the cost/amount of the staff that is required to process the applications, verify facts and double check IDs etc.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 08:27:07 PM
just change country then...  :P
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 08:28:20 PM
just change country then...  :P
I did, I'm still a Canadian citizen even if I'm a resident of Spain.

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 08:47:57 AM
Just thought I share a photo of mine from a run back in Nov.... Grant by the way I like the updated Avatar  :tu:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 249.3 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 12:17:56 PM
Nice rig!

Beerplumber has a silver JKU as well that he occasionally posts pictures of- I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet.  Pacu also just recently traded in his silver JK for a pickup truck in what I can only assume was a drunken bar bet!  :P

Here's a shot from one of the times we went wheeling when I was a little less than successful...

Here's a video of me playing in a mud puddle while a friend plays with his GoPro!

GoPro Hero 2 slow motion from WVGA 120 FPS down to 10 FPS

And here's another one done by the same friend and GoPro of another day with DerekMac and a few other people:

Off-Roading with some Jeeps on some trails and of coarse lots of mud...

Even CRKT has a cameo in that one!  :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%