Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Jeepers out there?

Thisjk38 · 1143 · 59431

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Any Jeepers out there?
Reply #1080 on: April 11, 2019, 12:27:08 AM

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #1081 on: April 11, 2019, 01:51:46 AM
If that's the case, no wonder mechanics charge a minimum three hours!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1082 on: June 03, 2019, 04:20:17 PM
So I did a thing a couple of weeks ago. I painted my Jeep Desert Tan. it was a ton of work, but I think the results were worth it. Now let me see if I can get some pictures upload...

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1083 on: June 17, 2019, 03:26:33 PM
See if this works...
Jeep.JPG
* Jeep.JPG (Filesize: 153.47 KB)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1084 on: June 17, 2019, 03:28:23 PM
If anyone has any interest, you can have a look here for more pics. :)

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/my-05-rubi-build-and-picture-thread.1022/page-20#post-366630

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1085 on: April 03, 2020, 05:52:08 PM
A few comments about the 4.0: this was the last iteration of the Rambler I6 engine that was introduced in 1964 as a 232. There was a 199 cubic inch version produced from 1965-1970, and AMC introduced the 258 in 1970. The 232 and 258 were both produced through the '70s. 1979 was the last year of the 232, but the 258 continued to be produced for another 10 years. It was joined by the 242 (4.0) in 1987. The 4.0 has a shorter stroke and larger bore than the 258.

Some people have actually put a 258 crankshaft in a 4.0 block for a 4.5l engine. This was really nothing new since AMC's Mexico plant built a 282 cubic inch version from 1971 through 1986. It used the 258 crankshaft with a larger bore; pretty much the same thing as a 258 crank in a 4.0 block.

Jeep used these Rambler I6 engines starting in at least 1966; I've read that Jeep used them right from the beginning in 1964. I don't really doubt it but can't say for sure, since I had a 1965 Wagoneer with the OHC Tornado 230 I6 engine as stock.
Anyway, the Rambler 6 was the most common engine in both Jeeps and AMC cars through the '70s and '80s.

A buddy of mine once worked for a distributor of used major auto assemblies. Not a junkyard; this was actually a warehouse with high racks full of engines, transmissions, axles etc. He told me that the 4.0 was the cheapest to buy engine they had because there was essentially no demand for them. They had a steady supply from wrecked Jeeps, but it was uncommon for a 4.0 to fail, thus little market for replacement engines.

I wonder if I can shoehorn one into my JKU... :whistle: 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1086 on: April 04, 2020, 12:31:23 AM
Since this one is back up, here's a pic from our recent trip.  :D

Def
Jeep Quaranteen.jpg
* Jeep Quaranteen.jpg (Filesize: 256.79 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1087 on: June 02, 2020, 07:53:00 PM
Well I can happily say that my TJ will no longer be my daily driver.  I'll be getting an 05 Nissan Altima from a buddy of mine for a good price (since I'm helping him work on it).  Last night we replaced the subframe as it had a large hole in it (was there when he bought it, but it was covered up), and tomorrow we're going to replace the front wheel bearings.  Once that's done it'll be good to go. :) 

It'll be nice not having to worry about breaking anything on the Jeep when off-roading, and having something that'll make a MUCH better family vehicle.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1088 on: August 10, 2020, 04:26:06 PM
Has anyone heard about the current fad of "ducking" Jeeps?

It actually started here in Canada, and you can read about it here:  https://driving.ca/jeep/auto-news/news/jeeps-are-being-ducked-and-it-all-started-in-canada

Megan got me some rubber ducks last week and I ducked my first ducking yesterday.  We were driving through a provincial park and I spotted a red 2 door Jeep Wrangler, so I stopped and put a little rubber ducky on it.  :D

Anyone else ducking Jeeps or been ducked yet? 

Def

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #1089 on: August 10, 2020, 04:39:36 PM
Has anyone heard about the current fad of "ducking" Jeeps?

It actually started here in Canada, and you can read about it here:  https://driving.ca/jeep/auto-news/news/jeeps-are-being-ducked-and-it-all-started-in-canada

Megan got me some rubber ducks last week and I ducked my first ducking yesterday.  We were driving through a provincial park and I spotted a red 2 door Jeep Wrangler, so I stopped and put a little rubber ducky on it.  :D

Anyone else ducking Jeeps or been ducked yet? 

Def

I can imagine there will be some recipients who haven't heard of this new meme that will be very puzzled at the sudden appearance of a bath toy on heir Jeep.  :rofl:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1090 on: August 10, 2020, 04:59:27 PM
Many have been, for sure.  But it goes beyond mere confusion.

There is a Facebook group called Duck Duck Jeep, started by the woman that started this all, and, as is expected in today's day and age, there are many that are offended by it.   :facepalm:

Some resent strangers touching their precious Jeep to stick a duck in the handle.

Some haven't been ducked yet and are taking it personally.

Some duck others, then hang around to see the owner's reaction when they return, and have been very upset when the recipient tosses the duck away and drives off, or does anything that doesn't express immediate joy.

As I see it, I am not trying to make people happy- it's up to them to react however they would like.  I am am giving them an opportunity to smile, and if they are too miserable to accept it, I'm not going to force it.  I do what I do, and I always appreciate an opportunity to smile. 

I also went the distance and printed off some small notes explaining the duck's presence to help alleviate the confusion, and I put the duck on the running board, not in the door handle.  Some idiots may try to claim that it scratched the paint in the handle when the duck was stuffed in there, but I doubt many will complain (successfully anyway- there will always be complainers) that a teeny rubber duck scratched the running board.

Life's too short to be angry and offended by everything all the time.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #1091 on: April 16, 2021, 04:47:37 PM
Just thought this thread deserved to be updated. Just like jeeps, they've made some big tech updates...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1092 on: April 16, 2021, 04:56:19 PM
 :rofl:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #1093 on: August 24, 2021, 03:33:45 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1094 on: August 24, 2021, 04:45:47 PM
Jay seemed less that impressed to me  :dunno:.  I've seen Jeeps with Hellcat swaps but this Jeep is a first for me. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #1095 on: November 02, 2021, 03:23:17 PM
 :multi: Bring on the Gladiator hate! Lol

Always wanted a jeep, always have needed a truck bed. This was perfect. Can’t wait to get some bigger tires on there.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1096 on: November 02, 2021, 07:46:03 PM
Megan calls it the automotive equivalent of a mullet.

I say it's a lot easier to take the top off than an F150.... and easier to put it back on too!

It's on my list of potential replacements when/if something bad happens to my Jeep!

Good looking rig man!

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #1097 on: November 02, 2021, 09:26:26 PM
Megan calls it the automotive equivalent of a mullet.

I say it's a lot easier to take the top off than an F150.... and easier to put it back on too!

It's on my list of potential replacements when/if something bad happens to my Jeep!

Good looking rig man!

Def

Thanks! Business in the back, party in the front! lol. Thinking about 285/70r17s on the stock wheels for now to save money. (33s basically) The spacer level kits are cheap, but i don't know how I feel about it/how it would affect the drivability. I know it would look better. Maybe combination of a steel front bumper and the spacer level would work nicely. Would need one when I buy a winch in the next couple of years anyways. Also want to pick up some rock sliders/steps soon.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #1098 on: November 02, 2021, 11:04:33 PM
The spacer level kits are cheap, but i don't know how I feel about it/how it would affect the drivability.
Just my opinion: I'd stay away from spacers in the suspension unless the manufacturer intended them to be there. Though new springs are more expensive, they strike me as being far more durable.

I have a Gladiator, too. I'm hesitant to post pictures of it, though...the undercarriage says "Matchbox."  :rofl:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1099 on: November 03, 2021, 03:27:48 PM
Thanks! Business in the back, party in the front! lol. Thinking about 285/70r17s on the stock wheels for now to save money. (33s basically) The spacer level kits are cheap, but i don't know how I feel about it/how it would affect the drivability. I know it would look better. Maybe combination of a steel front bumper and the spacer level would work nicely. Would need one when I buy a winch in the next couple of years anyways. Also want to pick up some rock sliders/steps soon.

Mine is way less cool than yours, but I am running 35x12.5x17 on mine with stock ride height and I only rub slightly at full compression.  I think there's an offset in my rims that seems like maybe .75-1 inch, but I think that works against me for contact.

I don't think the JL/JT/JLU wheel arches are that different from the JK/JKU?

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #1100 on: November 03, 2021, 04:21:31 PM
Mine is way less cool than yours, but I am running 35x12.5x17 on mine with stock ride height and I only rub slightly at full compression.  I think there's an offset in my rims that seems like maybe .75-1 inch, but I think that works against me for contact.

I don't think the JL/JT/JLU wheel arches are that different from the JK/JKU?

Def

With the JT the rubicons can fit 35s with no modification because of higher fender flares. The Sports (like mine) can fit 33s with the air dam removed. They cut my air dam off at the factory when they applied tint and a bedliner so that is a non-issue for me. to run 35s you have to get that 1.5" spacer level kit. the price jump between 33s and 35s locally is enormous though.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #1101 on: November 03, 2021, 04:31:25 PM
I also don't know what re-gearing entails but seems like something I should avoid. I think 35s are better with a re-gear. i don't know though.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #1102 on: November 03, 2021, 04:55:28 PM

thinking from this video rubbing may be an issue offroad.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #1103 on: November 03, 2021, 05:01:54 PM
here is a shot of a similar jt (not mine of course) on 33s from gladiator forums. This is the look I'm going for plus a different front bumper and lighting eventually.

* goal.jpg (Filesize: 265.66 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1104 on: November 03, 2021, 05:45:55 PM
I also don't know what re-gearing entails but seems like something I should avoid. I think 35s are better with a re-gear. i don't know though.

Regearing is changing the gears in the differential to provide better torque and make it easier to turn larger tires.  I have been told (again, for JK/JKU) that you don't need to bother unless you are going to 37 inches or bigger.  I'm happy with my 35's so I am not worrying about it.

The main reason I have been considering going to a Gladiator is the increased towing capacity.  Mine is a Sahara model and I'm limited to 3500lbs, which is just too little.  I would go with a Sport if I went to the Gladiator, with an automatic transmission to get the full 7600lbs.

This is super annoying to me as I have exactly the same engine, transmission, driveline etc as the Gladiator, but the few extra inches in wheelbase doubles the towing capacity.   :twak:

Def

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #1105 on: November 03, 2021, 07:11:21 PM
I also don't know what re-gearing entails but seems like something I should avoid. I think 35s are better with a re-gear.
Re-gearing would entail opening up the differentials, removing the existing ring and pinion, and installing the replacement set. Other stuff, such as axle shafts, may need to come out as well. Unless you have 4.10:1 or lower gears from the factory--and maybe even then--lower gears would definitely be an asset with 35s.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1106 on: November 03, 2021, 08:35:07 PM
I got the heavier rear end with mine- it went along with the max tow package when I bought it, even though I didn't get the max tow option.  I just got the heavier rear end and assembled the rest of the tow package with much more affordable, aftermarket parts.  :D

The rear end I have is 3.73- I think the standard rear end at the time was 3.11 and the Rubicon had 4.10.  The 3.73 was only available with the max tow package I think, but as I ordered it directly from the factory I was able to get it.

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #1107 on: November 03, 2021, 08:37:10 PM
Regearing is changing the gears in the differential to provide better torque and make it easier to turn larger tires.  I have been told (again, for JK/JKU) that you don't need to bother unless you are going to 37 inches or bigger.  I'm happy with my 35's so I am not worrying about it.

The main reason I have been considering going to a Gladiator is the increased towing capacity.  Mine is a Sahara model and I'm limited to 3500lbs, which is just too little.  I would go with a Sport if I went to the Gladiator, with an automatic transmission to get the full 7600lbs.

This is super annoying to me as I have exactly the same engine, transmission, driveline etc as the Gladiator, but the few extra inches in wheelbase doubles the towing capacity.   :twak:

Def

My tow rating is 6,000 or so. if you want 7600 make sure you get the max tow model (and don't put too big of tires on it). Max tow costs a bit more and comes with slightly larger axles and 4.10 ratio. I have dana 44 axles and 3.73 ratio.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #1108 on: November 03, 2021, 08:42:44 PM
IIRC the max tow was about 5K more than the Sport S with tow package. Wasn't worth it to me because I got a good price for the times on the Sport S non max tow.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #1109 on: November 03, 2021, 08:48:57 PM
Another thought, Do I need to get 5 tires or 4? if I had a flat on the trail with 33s, couple I put the smaller spare on and limp home (or to a garage)? or is it better to have that 33" spare ready to go? Would a 33" spare fit under the bed...  hmm.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%