Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Jeepers out there?

Thisjk38 · 1143 · 57346

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Any Jeepers out there?
Reply #60 on: February 11, 2013, 02:46:11 AM
It's a '99. Jeep forum you say ;) I'll be visiting soon :). If the 4 banger goes then ill drop in the inline 6. I've had a few of those in the past and they just wouldn't die!
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #61 on: February 11, 2013, 02:47:45 AM
Nice looking ride you have there!   Welcome to the sore back club!

If the 4 banger goes you may want to consider upgrading to a Chev 305 or 350.

Now all you need to do is to get it dirty!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

And an extra gas tank while you are at it!  :D

A friend had a V8 YJ and he told me he could literally see the gas needle moving down while idling.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013, 05:25:02 AM
I am actually considering one of the turbo diesels  :o :o. Jeeps are not overly popular in Oz , Toyota 4WDs are hugely popular but they tend to have massive kilometeres & still cost a bomb. I have seen a few Jeep diesels with reasonable Ks almost in our price bracket + they tend to have more options than their Japanese opposition  :think:, ie front & side air bags for the front & back passengers. I am keeping an eye on a couple KJ Cherokees, the 2.8L diesel seems to be seen as a safer bet than the 2L diesel  :think: :think: :think:.
The misses will be driving it a lot more than me so she may well not like the extra bulk of a Jeep though  :think:   

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #63 on: February 11, 2013, 06:33:37 AM
It's a '99. Jeep forum you say ;) I'll be visiting soon :). If the 4 banger goes then ill drop in the inline 6. I've had a few of those in the past and they just wouldn't die!
Yeah there are few out there. I highly recommend Wranglerforum.com. They have differection a section for JKs, TJs, YJs, and CJs. Great community and I've actually been of few runs with members. I've learned a lot there and have gotten some great ideas from their threads. I've read a lot that people regear in order to make up for the lack of power with the 4 bangers, especially when adding a lift and bigger tires. I'm sure you'll see soon. Welcome again.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #64 on: February 11, 2013, 12:31:54 PM
Nice looking Jeep Steve, congrats!  I use JeepForum, though they tend to rather spend three pages of a thread telling you to use search instead of asking a question.  :facepalm:

By the way, I actually like the color of it!  :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #65 on: February 11, 2013, 01:37:53 PM
I belong to my local Jeep club forum but I rarely ever go there. The software is horrible and I'd hate to get sucked into another forum.... as it is I have barely enough time for this one!

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #66 on: February 12, 2013, 03:43:10 AM
Well it's home! Got the title signed and notarized. All that's left is insurance tax tag and fees ugh. But she's mine! I have to fix a few things but that's cool. I drove it down the interstate and it did ok. I've already looked into a few add ons to help with cruising speeds. But overall I like it! 

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #67 on: February 12, 2013, 07:19:09 AM
Good to hear. Now remember what JEEP stands for.... Just Empty Every Pocket.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #68 on: February 12, 2013, 12:34:43 PM
Ain't that the truth!!  Mine has clunks all around, and now I have weird noises when I put it in 4x4.  :facepalm:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #69 on: February 12, 2013, 12:35:41 PM

That works!

Over here we refer to Fords as Fix Or Repair Daily :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: February 12, 2013, 01:27:41 PM
We say that here, as well as Don't Over Drive a Gutless Engine... :D

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: February 12, 2013, 02:16:54 PM
Get a Forester :tu: :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: February 13, 2013, 01:31:14 PM
I did look at Foresters- for 2013 (models I was looking at) the only way to get a halfways decent towing capacity was to get the high end model, which was still pricier than the Jeep, although not by as much as the FJ Cruiser and Nissan XTerra.  The salesman was suggesting I look at the Outback, which I also like (at least previous incarnations, I'm not thrilled with the current design) but then you lose that ride height, important at this time of year when all the snowbanks at every corner are 3 feet high or more.

Def

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: February 13, 2013, 01:39:58 PM
Mine's a 98 model and it's never let me down yet!! it's even pulled a mini digger half way out of a ditch! not so keen on newer version, take the badge of a few new models and it's hard to tell the difference, understand what you mean about the ride height!! Obv we don't suffer a severe snow problem as you do!! i have looked at jeeps and i am impressed :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #74 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:02 PM
From what I understand, you guys get diesel Jeep Wranglers over there, which is awesome.  If diesel was an option here I would have seriously considered it.  However, given the limited availability of parts for Jeeps in the UK (here Jeeps are everywhere and parts are so easy to find it's scary!) I think I'd have opted for a Defender over a Jeep.

Hell, if Defenders were available here I'd have opted for a Defender over a Jeep!  :D

Def

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: February 13, 2013, 02:13:47 PM
Defenders are too expensive too repair here, unless you have the skills, parts are expensive too!!
the jeep i looked at was a 97 cherokee, i prefer the squarness of them to modern versions! diesel is creeping up in price here all the time & is the costlier of the 3 fuels incl lpg!
my next 4x4 will prob be a jeep to be honest
 :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #76 on: February 13, 2013, 05:00:11 PM
There is something to be said about cruising around in the summer with the top and doors off.  Maybe it's not as freeing as it is on a motorcycle, but I can carry four friends, a cooler and my dogs too- try that on a bike!   >:D

Come the warmer weather, this will be me!

Def
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:03:03 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #77 on: February 14, 2013, 10:12:04 AM
Yeah I'm the same way, once weather gets warmer the top comes off, then the doors. The doors really save me gas, especially since my gf doesn't like riding with out the doors. So any far or highway driving we take her car. Also made myself a foot peg to hang my foot out. Probably not the smartest idea, but neither is driving without any doors.

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 87.95 KB)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:25:24 AM by Thisjk38 »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: February 14, 2013, 12:37:14 PM
I see you have no wing mirror brackets on yours.  I have a small set of extra mirrors that I hang on the side when the doors are off.  As it turns out here, driving with the doors off is technically illegal here, but it's one of those things that is not enforced, and that few people, if anyone actually knows about, so its pretty safe to do it.   Lacking wing mirrors on the other hand will attract unwanted attention, plus I really miss them when they aren't there.

I'm pretty certain that riding with your foot out the door also breaks some law or another, but that has never stopped me either.  Of course, that will be easier now that I have an automatic....  :D

Def

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #79 on: February 14, 2013, 01:10:24 PM
We are taking a 2003 Jeep Cherokee KJ Sport with a 2.8L turbo diesel for a test drive tommorow  8) 8) , it has done 129,000 kms which believe it or not is low by Oz standards. I am fairly sure we won't buy it but I am keen to see what it is like & maybe hang out for something not as old  :think: :think:

We took a 2007 Forester for a spin the other day , in Oz we get the dual range transmission on manual gear boxes models  8).Nice car but hardly any space for the rear passengers , great space in the wagon but no leg room for passengers, especially teenage boys pushing 6 foot. The 2010 Forester the salesman tried to interest in, had a bit more space but they wanted 21 grand for. 

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #80 on: February 14, 2013, 01:32:28 PM
I see you have no wing mirror brackets on yours.  I have a small set of extra mirrors that I hang on the side when the doors are off.  As it turns out here, driving with the doors off is technically illegal here, but it's one of those things that is not enforced, and that few people, if anyone actually knows about, so its pretty safe to do it.   Lacking wing mirrors on the other hand will attract unwanted attention, plus I really miss them when they aren't there.

I'm pretty certain that riding with your foot out the door also breaks some law or another, but that has never stopped me either.  Of course, that will be easier now that I have an automatic....  :D

Def

Yeah I don't use any mirror brackets. I just bought those little circle blind spot mirrors that go in the corners of regular rear view mirrors. I stick them on the air vents, and that keeps me legal here in California. For what they are, they work surprisingly well at seeing others. Judging the distance though is another issue. If I see something in the mirror I just stay where I'm at. Next time I take off the doors I may buy some Harley mirrors and stick them in the door hinges. This is what my uncle does. What I don't like about them though is they rattle a bit.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #81 on: February 14, 2013, 02:07:41 PM
Despite Jeeps not being common here as I was driving around today I saw 3 parked in different places with a for sale sign....

I assume the high petrol/diesel prices/insurance/tax is making the owners sell them ASAP.
Unfortunately there was no price on them.
Despite having access to more 4WDs than I need and not being fond of Jeeps I was tempted because of the brainwashing I suffer here...  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: February 14, 2013, 03:18:15 PM
These are the mirrors I have, although mine are all black, not chrome.

The brackets stay on all the time, the mirrors get attached when the doors come off.  I just got them last year and I may scavenge them off my TJ before I sell it, or I may just buy a new set- they are only $40, so not a huge deal.  I used to have a set that allowed me to take the mirrors off the doors and relocate them to the windshield, but that was a lot more inconvenient so I switched to a whole new set.  I would have left them permanently on the windshield except that you couldn't see them when the doors went back on so you had to keep switching them back and forth.

To be honest I'm not sure I've ever even seen or heard of someone being pulled over and/or ticketed for not having wing mirrors.  In the winter here roads get narrower because of the snow, and the roads are already pretty narrow since it's an old city, which means a lot of people lose their wing mirrors to passing traffic.

Despite Jeeps not being common here as I was driving around today I saw 3 parked in different places with a for sale sign....

I assume the high petrol/diesel prices/insurance/tax is making the owners sell them ASAP.
Unfortunately there was no price on them.
Despite having access to more 4WDs than I need and not being fond of Jeeps I was tempted because of the brainwashing I suffer here...  :D

Jeeps are in a class their own.  Over the years there have been many attempts to duplicate the fun of a Jeep, but just about all of them have failed.  There was the Suzuki Sidekick/Chevy Tracker, which was fun, but more of a bumped up car than a truck (although I really liked the X-90 spinoff, which admittedly was more of a semi offroad Miata than anything else), and before that the Samurai, which was a strong contender until it got the bad rep of flipping over- a rep I really never though it deserved as I have known quite a few people with Samurais over the years that have never been upside down in them.  Perhaps the only real contender to Jeeps is the old Toyota Land Cruiser- it was as tough and agile as the old Jeeps and also had the removable top/doors.  Unfortunately it didn't have the longevity.

Much like the old PST, Jeeps have been improved upon over the years, but they are the ones that set the standard, like it or not.  :D

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #83 on: February 14, 2013, 06:00:21 PM
It is allways strange for me to hear people praise Jeeps as here they are seen as a bad luxury item; more of an expensive toy than a tool.
Maybe if they were better made (US cars have a really bad reputation for quality and so do Rovers), cheaper, with a normal sized powerfull but economical engine, easier to find any parts for, comfortable and less associated with posers there would have been more of them around.
I do not recall seeing one being driven on an earth road, never mind off-road.

Beacuse of their engine size and tax you are talking Range Rover and Land Cruiser Amazon money.
The lack of decent diesels also hurts them (not so much now; the new diesels are supposed to be good)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: February 14, 2013, 07:40:24 PM
Its a different set of circumstances over there than here.  There are lots of them here and parts/upgrades are available anywhere and everywhere.  That makes a huge difference in whether you are going to use something hard or not.  After all, if you can pick up replacement parts on your way home from a trail then you are more likely to take it than if you have to order parts online and wait a couple of weeks for delivery, especially if its your only car.

As for them being poor quality, I kind of disagree. I don't think its poor quality so much as its loose engineering.  Americans are famous for that- look at Harley Davidson for example.  By European standards they are awful bikes as well, yet they are the undisputed king of bikes here.

The benefit of this loose engineering is that you can add or subtract parts more easily- the looser tolerances and extra spaces allow you to fit in additional parts or components that you wouldn't be able to put in a Porsche Cayenne.  It makes them less efficient but easier to repair or modify.

Like anything else, its a matter of preference. Our fuel prices aren't as bad as yours, so fuel economy is less important here.  If I was in Europe I doubt very much that I'd have a Jeep, although I would probably opt for the local equivalent.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #85 on: February 14, 2013, 08:12:43 PM
loose engineering   :rofl:

Most proper 4x4s are like that a bit as they need to flex, and be able to give less feedback from the steering wheel when you hit a rock (I learned from driving a tractor never to leave any thumbs inside the steering wheel  :P)

Here in the olden days most people that needed 4wd would have a Land Rover or a land cruiser.

Then in the early eighties there was a boom as diesel was cheap and more car like pickup trucks appeared (Chevrolet Luv, Toyota hilux) so many people started buyng more pickups and even their 4wd ones that had really impressive capabilities. At the time they looked like mini monster trucks, especially the Toyotas. Isuzu/Chevrolet were selling the same products and had the best overall product and long lasting 2.3 and 2.5 l diesel engines, whilst Toyotas were taller and faster with their 2.4 l diesels.
At that time the mitsubishi Pajero/shogun appeared with proper off road ability and car like comfort, low noise for a diesel and pretty decent speed (over 160km/h 100miles/h from the 2.3 and later 2.5 turbo diesels). They also came in longer, family friendly, bodies as well as shorter Jeep sized bodies and normally aspirated or turbo charged engines.

The Isuzu trooper was cheaper bur never really had the comfort and overall package of the mitsubishy.
Then Nissan brought the patrol with a 4l "bus" diesel that was huge but slow and the Toyota the Amazon with a "bus" sized body. Range rovers were notoriously unrelieable and were never able to compete with the japanese. At the time diesel was a lot less than petrol so there was no market for petrol engines.

Now diesel and petrol cost about the same, 1.5 Euro per litre, but diesels tend to be more economical on the bigger 4x4s especially compared to the the large petrol engines usually offered with 4x4s (the Suzukis being the exception)
Thus most people are now switching to smaller cars or if they buy a 4x4 they still will go for a diesel, though they will more probably go for a soft-roader as  the proper 4x4s are out of fashion now, because of the total cost.
4x4 pickups used to have less tax before as they were considered an agricultutral vehicle, but now they do not, thus they are a lot more expensive than they used to be and less people buy them.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #86 on: February 15, 2013, 02:48:04 AM
Well the 2003 Jeep Cherokee KJ Sport was a REAL surprise  8) 8) , drove very nicely & I was not expecting the amount of go from the 2.8L turbo diesel  8) 8) 8). It did have a annoying rattles from the passenger side dash & I think the driver's side mirror  :think: , must be that 'loose' engineering  :think: :D :D. I think if we find a latter model 2.8L I would be very tempted.I believe the 2.8L diesel is Italian , I wonder if Italian engineering is as loose as American  :think: :D :D :D. maybe a different kind of looseness  :think: :think: :D :D :D.

On the way home we took a 2007 Nissan XTrail for a spin I had gone into the test drive thinking it would be too small for our over sized teenager BUT it had a surprising amount of passenger room  :o :o. Damn it , here I was thinking I was knocking the list down  :ahhh :ahhh.The Nissan's towing rating is OK for us & the running costs would be cheaper than a Jeep BUT it would not have the same 4WD prowess  :think: :think:. The Jeeps look a lot cooler though  ::) :D :D

Grant it is funny in Oz it is the opposite Jeep's have a perception as not being as tough as the bigger Toyota's , which are hugely popular , prices for diesel Toyotas is nuts & they often have 300,000km+ on them  :ahhh :ahhh. Jeeps I think come behind Toyotas,Nissans(Patrol) & Mitsubishis(Pajero), in regards to popularity  :think: :think:. It does mean Jeeps are in our price range though  :think: :D :D :D   

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #87 on: February 15, 2013, 03:47:04 AM
Well had a little issue fixing the manifold leak. The studs broke :(. Out came the tools and off with the head lol. Got all the studs out easy :). Now time to put everything back together and see if it passes the emission test ;)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #88 on: February 15, 2013, 07:22:18 AM
Multi, the Fiat diesels used in Jeeps (and SAABs) are considered good. They are a bit agricultural in sound but they should work OK.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #89 on: February 15, 2013, 11:35:35 AM
Multi, the Fiat diesels used in Jeeps (and SAABs) are considered good. They are a bit agricultural in sound but they should work OK.

:cheers: :cheers: mate
Yep the idle is a little 'rocky' but to be honest it was a lot better than I was expecting  :o :D. I have read 'million mile motor' a few times when referring too the 2.8L.

The 2.0L VW diesels used in Jeep's don't seem to be as well regarded  :think: :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24