Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Jeepers out there?

Thisjk38 · 1143 · 57344

us Offline WECSOG

Re: Any Jeepers out there?
Reply #990 on: November 27, 2018, 04:09:21 AM
Yep, I like jeeps. And Jeeps too, at least the ones that still retain a decent amount of the original jeep.
Btw, original jeeps not only didn't say JEEP on the hood; they didn't say it anywhere else either.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #991 on: December 09, 2018, 09:29:30 AM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #992 on: December 09, 2018, 12:47:13 PM
Looks like it held up fairly well?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #993 on: December 09, 2018, 04:39:16 PM
The way it looks is deceiving

I am sure compared to older Jeeps it must be an improvement, as with any modern car. Even if they improve that passive safety the actual cabin seems to be problematic, if you like living.

Apparently your legs get crumpled, so you will die from blood loss, which may be important.
If your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/partner buys you one, be worried.

The Jeep PR machine must be really good, as it has not really been made public, for some reason.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #994 on: January 15, 2019, 06:00:34 AM
All the Jeep hate I see on random forums amazes me. Nobody can have a conversation about Jeeps without the haters coming out to snipe at them.
I saw a Wagoneer (the full size, real Wagoneer) that looked like it had flown off a cliff, flipped and rolled multiple times. Every panel was flattened. But the passenger compartment was 100% intact. As long as the occupants were wearing their seatbelts, they probably survived.
I myself was in a crash while driving a full size Wagoneer. I was going about 45 mph when another car hit me right in the driver's door. That was bad enough, but it forced me off the road where I slammed head on into a tree, slightly off center to the driver's side, again at 45 mph. The Jeep hit so hard that it spun around the tree. The driver's side door wouldn't open, so I opened the passenger side and climbed out.
The Jeep was totaled, of course. But the only injury I sustained were some scratches on my right hand where it slammed into the radio.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #995 on: January 15, 2019, 10:59:33 AM
I myself was in a crash while driving a full size Wagoneer. I was going about 45 mph when another car hit me right in the driver's door. That was bad enough, but it forced me off the road where I slammed head on into a tree, slightly off center to the driver's side, again at 45 mph. The Jeep hit so hard that it spun around the tree. The driver's side door wouldn't open, so I opened the passenger side and climbed out.
The Jeep was totaled, of course. But the only injury I sustained were some scratches on my right hand where it slammed into the radio.

For side collision you need one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjjV6nGh0g

I bet those huge tires make a great bumper.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #996 on: January 15, 2019, 04:59:45 PM
JEEP (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) make cars. The test is the same as the one for all other cars. If they do badly in a standardised test, that they actually know that they have to do, thus they are actually prepared for it, be it crashing or fuel economy, then they need to do better.

I will be surprised if they ace the US tests without any major redesigns.

If they redesign the vehicle, because of the EuroNCAP test, making it safer, then we all win, including Jeep. 

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #997 on: January 16, 2019, 05:49:11 AM

For side collision you need one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjjV6nGh0g

I bet those huge tires make a great bumper.  :D

I want one!  :gimme: :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #998 on: January 16, 2019, 11:47:04 AM
I have been in two accidents with Jeeps.  The first was in my TJ when I hit a patch of ice and slid into the bumper of a Honda CRV in front of me.  Both cars were driveable, the impact was less than 10mph, and it folded my fender slightly.  It caused $4500 damage to the CRV.   :facepalm:

The second time was about a year ago, in my JKU.  I was rear ended by a Kia Rio, which was then rear ended by another Kia Rio.  Both Rios were written off and I drove home with no appreciable damage, and, more importantly, the mass of the Jeep absorbed enough of the impact that I did not hit the vehicle in front of me, despite multiple impacts from the rear.  And, the Kias didn't even make it to my bumper, the one that hit me impaled itself on my trailer hitch.

The crash tests and safety ratings can say what they like, I (unfortunately) have practical experience that makes me confident in my Jeep's safety abilities.  The stamped steel body on heavy truck frame may not be the lightest or most fuel efficient, but I have confidence that if I am involved in a high speed collision, I am likely to walk away- and if I don't, chances are no one else will either.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #999 on: January 16, 2019, 01:43:21 PM
I am reminded of people saying that old cars were safer, because the metal they used was thicker. Basically, it absorbed less of the crash and transferred the force of the impact to the passengers, but the car looked fine, in lower speed collisions.

I had a few crashes with heavy body on frame vehicles (pickups and off roaders) and came out OK, but I am not against them getting safer, as expected by most people in 2019.

Jeep has no real incentive to make their cars safer if the buyers are happy with the safety rating it gets. Safer, does not mean removing the off road ability.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #1000 on: January 16, 2019, 03:58:33 PM
I want one!  :gimme: :like:

:iagree:

But you could buy a small house for the price of two...  :ahhh
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #1001 on: January 16, 2019, 06:02:34 PM
I was driving behind a 2nd generation Cherokee yesterday and was surprised by how narrow it looked. When they first appeared we used to think they were huge but everything is bigger now.

The best looking Cherokee generation, in my opinion.

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1002 on: January 16, 2019, 07:23:42 PM
I have been in two accidents with Jeeps.  The first was in my TJ when I hit a patch of ice and slid into the bumper of a Honda CRV in front of me.  Both cars were driveable, the impact was less than 10mph, and it folded my fender slightly.  It caused $4500 damage to the CRV.   :facepalm:

The second time was about a year ago, in my JKU.  I was rear ended by a Kia Rio, which was then rear ended by another Kia Rio.  Both Rios were written off and I drove home with no appreciable damage, and, more importantly, the mass of the Jeep absorbed enough of the impact that I did not hit the vehicle in front of me, despite multiple impacts from the rear.  And, the Kias didn't even make it to my bumper, the one that hit me impaled itself on my trailer hitch.

The crash tests and safety ratings can say what they like, I (unfortunately) have practical experience that makes me confident in my Jeep's safety abilities.  The stamped steel body on heavy truck frame may not be the lightest or most fuel efficient, but I have confidence that if I am involved in a high speed collision, I am likely to walk away- and if I don't, chances are no one else will either.

Def

:iagree: :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1003 on: January 16, 2019, 07:47:02 PM
I am reminded of people saying that old cars were safer, because the metal they used was thicker. Basically, it absorbed less of the crash and transferred the force of the impact to the passengers, but the car looked fine, in lower speed collisions.

I had a few crashes with heavy body on frame vehicles (pickups and off roaders) and came out OK, but I am not against them getting safer, as expected by most people in 2019.

Jeep has no real incentive to make their cars safer if the buyers are happy with the safety rating it gets. Safer, does not mean removing the off road ability.

For higher speed collisions I suppose I could agree with you.  The crumple zones in modern cars absorb a lot of energy that the meat puppet inside doesn't have to, and that's a good thing. But, in low speed collisions like mine where I was fully supported by the seat (at least when rear ended) I think I'd rather have had a solid vehicle than stand out in the cold rain waiting for someone to pick me up like the other people had to do.

That having been said, my Jeep is so solid that the other car becomes the crumple zone for it....

Def

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1004 on: January 16, 2019, 07:51:33 PM

Are you against those of us who actually like what little remains of the attributes of the original jeep design having one vehicle remaining to us that we can buy?
I have a JKU Wrangler. I also have a CJ-7. And I have a CJ2A, and an MB. I like the Wrangler. I like the CJ-7 more. I like the CJ2A more than the CJ-7, and I like the MB most of all. I have zero intention of ever buying the new "upgraded" version of the Wrangler; it has finally crossed the line as far as I am concerned.
Anyone coming around here with the intention of making my MB or any of my CJs "safer" is gonna have trouble from me, the owner of said vehicles.

Maybe we should collectively look into making all new motorcycles have impact-resistant bubbles surrounding them, plus airbags, seatbelts and computer controls to ensure that the bike won't start unless the prospective rider is wearing all the latest safety equipment.

Ya know, thinking about all the "safety upgrades" that are being applied to new vehicles reminds me of one that more and more new cars are being equipped with: automatic notifications and even brakes if you get within a few feet of the car ahead. Yeah, I can see that making us all so much safer by training young drivers to rely on that new technology, following even more closely than they already do and looking up from their entertainment devices even less often.  ::) 

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #1005 on: January 16, 2019, 08:04:05 PM
The issue has to do with mass as well. For crash tests they crash on mainly solid objects so the cars' energy has to be in some way absorbed by the car as the other object will not move much or compress.
A bigger car at the same speed will need to lose more energy, thus needing a stronger better body.

Crashing between cars is different as the cars can transfer energy/momentum between them. The force between them will be equal, but the larger car, designed to absorb a larger amount of energy, so as to be able to crash on walls, will generally be less affected than the smaller one that is designed to absorb less energy crashing on  wall.

There are various equations on collisions and conservation of momentum and energy, but generally the larger car wins. Basically, if you crash with a lorry, irrespective of how safe your car is, you will lose.

That is why everybody tries SUVs these day, trying to be that bigger car that wins.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #1006 on: January 16, 2019, 08:19:22 PM
Wecsog, I have no issue with the old jeeps. I do not even have any with the new ones. This is not an anti Jeep forum!

However, Jeep that was saved only a few years ago by the US citizens, through a bailout, has produced in 2019 a car that is practically unsaleable to anybody that does not for some reason want just the Wrangler but is comparing various vehicles. They have lost the European market, for example.
Safety sells and is important to many buyers, which is why all companies, Jeep included advertise the safety of their vehicles.

You can make a car get 3, 4 stars without using many electronic  automations in it.

Making it safe and more attractive to buyers does not mean that it will not off road as well. The Wrangler already has loads of electronics in it anyway, especially in the more expensive models.

Saying that Jeep is doing well offering their customers that level of safety, in 2019, does not encourage them to do better, and get more customers, and be safer  and not end up bankrupt again.

I want Jeep to build and sell many cars. Good cars, respecting the customer,

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1007 on: January 17, 2019, 12:04:07 AM
Jeep does respect the customer. They respect the customers who want the unique features only the Wrangler has. Customers such as the US Postal Service, the Egyptian Army and other military customers worldwide, and Jeepers who actually want solid axles front and rear, removable doors and tops, a windshield that folds down, etc.

Customers who don't want those things have plenty of other options to choose from, including Jeep-badged options like the Grand Cherokee. Supposedly Grand Cherokees, Toyota FJ Cruisers (which have nothing to do with the real FJ Toyota Land Cruiser other than the name), the Nissan Xterra (at least they didn't call it a Patrol), etc. do fine offroad. I guess that really depends on how serious you are and what kind of off road performance you expect. None of them can touch a Wrangler Rubicon. And a Rubicon can't touch a flatfender Willys with Detroit Lockers.
I wouldn't want to take that flatty on the freeway. But everything's not about freeway travel. I wouldn't want to take my TW200 on the freeway either, yet Yamaha still sells them.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1008 on: January 19, 2019, 04:30:40 PM
Wranglers are great, for sure. And even the new Wranglers are great. Best 4x4 out of the box. But I agree to some extent with Wes. They have packed so much electronics into the new ones, of course needing to appeal to the younger audience. And they have done silly things as well, such as swelling the interior door handle pods for no obvious reason. Creating a center stack that doesnt really need to be there...This type of move takes up interior space for no obvious reason, making the interior less roomy for all practical matters.

Where the hell do you put the CB in a new Wrangler? Ya, ya, wedge it here or there, but in the CJ and even the YJ, you had lots of space for something like that.

I'd love to get another K1500 Blazer from the 90's. In fact, I'd rather have a 90's big Blazer over today's Wrangler.  (except the Wrangler is still one of the few vehicles that can be got with standard shift).

The fuel economy between a new Wrangler and a new Ford F-150 is practically the same, and you get so much more people AND cargo space with the pickup

I don't know. I'm rambling.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1009 on: January 20, 2019, 02:01:46 AM
I have a Cobra 75 CB in mine.  There's no head unit, everything is built into the mic.  I have it wired into my center console, so I pull it out when I want/need a CB, pack it away invisibly when I don't.

It's not just Jeep that has uses newer tech.... :P

Def

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1010 on: January 20, 2019, 05:23:56 AM
Wranglers are great, for sure. And even the new Wranglers are great. Best 4x4 out of the box. But I agree to some extent with Wes. They have packed so much electronics into the new ones, of course needing to appeal to the younger audience. And they have done silly things as well, such as swelling the interior door handle pods for no obvious reason. Creating a center stack that doesnt really need to be there...This type of move takes up interior space for no obvious reason, making the interior less roomy for all practical matters.

Where the hell do you put the CB in a new Wrangler? Ya, ya, wedge it here or there, but in the CJ and even the YJ, you had lots of space for something like that.

I'd love to get another K1500 Blazer from the 90's. In fact, I'd rather have a 90's big Blazer over today's Wrangler.  (except the Wrangler is still one of the few vehicles that can be got with standard shift).

The fuel economy between a new Wrangler and a new Ford F-150 is practically the same, and you get so much more people AND cargo space with the pickup

I agree, older Jeeps are much better and everything is getting too bloated and electronically controlled. I got the simplest JK I could, manual transmission etc, but had to accept power windows. I expect it will be my last new Jeep, or new vehicle of any type. But at least Wranglers still have solid axles front and rear.
You're right about space for radios, too. I'm a ham and GMRS operator so that's definitely a consideration. I might remove the center console and build a new, more radio-friendly console.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1011 on: January 20, 2019, 03:06:21 PM
I have a Cobra 75 CB in mine.  There's no head unit, everything is built into the mic.  I have it wired into my center console, so I pull it out when I want/need a CB, pack it away invisibly when I don't.

It's not just Jeep that has uses newer tech.... :P

Def

You are right about that. My old full sized Chevy Blazer IS no more, and now I can't even find a Chevy Pickup or Tahoe that doesn't have an iPad in the center of the dash.

I'm OK with some of the new technology, I just lament that it means that there is no place to relax your legs. I could put one foot out my drivers window, or on the dash to the left of the steering wheel though I know it's unwise. I also used to sometimes rest a foot up on the center hump near the 4x4 floor shifter, near the CB.

There's just no room for that anymore and Chevy wants to put an air dam a mere 2 inches from the ground on a full sized truck. Idiocy.

So I'm looking for like a 5 year old Ford f150, or Silverado, in new condition, with a focus on off road editions as they seem to be more like what a regular truck used to be

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1012 on: January 20, 2019, 03:09:10 PM

I agree, older Jeeps are much better and everything is getting too bloated and electronically controlled. I got the simplest JK I could, manual transmission etc, but had to accept power windows. I expect it will be my last new Jeep, or new vehicle of any type. But at least Wranglers still have solid axles front and rear.
You're right about space for radios, too. I'm a ham and GMRS operator so that's definitely a consideration. I might remove the center console and build a new, more radio-friendly console.

The new Jeeps also seem good, but again, the iPad screen and the fact that they try to create managed space instead of having a freely flowing open cabin

I know you can still get a brand new Sport model that is standard shift and hand crank windows. You may want to take a look.

To be honest, I'm less a fan of the cameras and such, but the navigation comes in handy, but there's nothing that says you have to use it.

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1013 on: January 20, 2019, 05:10:27 PM

The new Jeeps also seem good, but again, the iPad screen and the fact that they try to create managed space instead of having a freely flowing open cabin

I know you can still get a brand new Sport model that is standard shift and hand crank windows. You may want to take a look.

To be honest, I'm less a fan of the cameras and such, but the navigation comes in handy, but there's nothing that says you have to use it.

Nope. No more new vehicles for me. For the 30K+ that a new Wrangler costs I can put Dana 60s front and rear, lockers, new NV4500, Atlas transfer case, 4BT Cummins, new winch, brand new remote mount HF/VHF/UHF radios, great stereo, new top, secure lockable storage, tools, etc. for my old JKU and have plenty of money left over. And have a much better vehicle.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1014 on: January 21, 2019, 12:08:20 PM
As I near 200,000kms on my JKU I am starting to wonder if I should start thinking about a new vehicle.  I do a lot of mileage (my JKU is one week shy of being 6 years old) and I depend on it for work.  It is't giving me any problems yet, but I have to wonder if/when they are going to start.

I doubt very much that a new Jeep is in my future, although I may consider one of the new Gladiators when they come out.  That loses me a bit of the internal storage space that I like, but more than doubles my towing capacity.  I find the 3500lbs towing capacity of my JKU to be too limiting, and the 7600 lbs towing capacity of the Gladiator seems a lot more reasonable.

Still, I am leaning a lot more towards an F-150, although I will say I have also been leaning towards a used E-350 or E-450 van.  If I do that, I will have to get a 4x4 conversion done on it, which is why I'd go used instead of new.  The only real issue with doing that is the large interior cargo area takes forever to heat up in the winter!   :ahhh

Def

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1015 on: January 21, 2019, 03:59:46 PM
As I near 200,000kms on my JKU I am starting to wonder if I should start thinking about a new vehicle.  I do a lot of mileage (my JKU is one week shy of being 6 years old) and I depend on it for work.  It is't giving me any problems yet, but I have to wonder if/when they are going to start.

I doubt very much that a new Jeep is in my future, although I may consider one of the new Gladiators when they come out.  That loses me a bit of the internal storage space that I like, but more than doubles my towing capacity.  I find the 3500lbs towing capacity of my JKU to be too limiting, and the 7600 lbs towing capacity of the Gladiator seems a lot more reasonable.

Still, I am leaning a lot more towards an F-150, although I will say I have also been leaning towards a used E-350 or E-450 van.  If I do that, I will have to get a 4x4 conversion done on it, which is why I'd go used instead of new.  The only real issue with doing that is the large interior cargo area takes forever to heat up in the winter!   :ahhh

Def

I like your thinking, Def. A diesel E-450 4x4 would be awesome!  :like:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1016 on: January 21, 2019, 05:11:30 PM

Def

Nice. I've seen some Ford Econoline van 4x4 conversions. It's like driving an ark around. Such a great idea! I'd love to do that.

Keep in mind with heating, you can set a curtain between driving area and cargo. And also you can run a bit or flexible duct to the back and sort of zone the heat a bit

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #1017 on: January 21, 2019, 05:14:23 PM

Nope. No more new vehicles for me. For the 30K+ that a new Wrangler costs I can put Dana 60s front and rear, lockers, new NV4500, Atlas transfer case, 4BT Cummins, new winch, brand new remote mount HF/VHF/UHF radios, great stereo, new top, secure lockable storage, tools, etc. for my old JKU and have plenty of money left over. And have a much better vehicle.

WEC, that is exactly the kind of thinking that has me searching for yet another full sized Chevy Blazer or 80'something to 90's Ford Bronco.

I don't have near the mechanical or radio experience you have, but I'm building on that

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1018 on: January 21, 2019, 11:15:31 PM
I'm not sold on a diesel right now.  I think all things being equal I'd probably go with a diesel, but as diesel right now is about $.20/L more expensive I'm not sure that's the route I want to go.

Def

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1019 on: January 21, 2019, 11:19:31 PM

Def

Nice. I've seen some Ford Econoline van 4x4 conversions. It's like driving an ark around. Such a great idea! I'd love to do that.

Keep in mind with heating, you can set a curtain between driving area and cargo. And also you can run a bit or flexible duct to the back and sort of zone the heat a bit

Some vans have rear heat and air, too. I have a Dodge van that's like that.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%