Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to get a sample of that famous red Aussie dirt?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: How to get a sample of that famous red Aussie dirt?
Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 09:19:45 AM
I read it... just want to know if it works on teenage boys please :D

I am sure if they read it it can put them to sleep   :D

Also the unit for the Linac should be MV, not MeV which only applies to the Cobalt units (not much difference in reality for most people). I saw it last night after I posted it quickly but forgot to change it and it was annoying me all night.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 09:56:29 PM
The resulting mutated super ants would take over the world.

Def

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords... and would like to remind them that as an Australian I am able to get my hands on plenty of that tasty red soil for them.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 11:22:43 PM

Def

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords... and would like to remind them that as an Australian I am able to get my hands on plenty of that tasty red soil for them.

Thought I recognized you!

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 08:46:24 AM

Def

Traitor!!  :rofl: :rofl:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 11:52:59 PM
Got a reply from US Customs.

Quote from: CBP INFO Center
Sand can be imported if it is clean beach, desert, or river sand that does not have any soil or organic matter. Soil has to be imported through a USDA approved lab. Please see the links below. I hope this answer helps.

Mark

Answer Title: Seashells, sand, pebbles, driftwood for personal use
Answer Link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1226

USDA APHIS Inspected Facilities Authorized to Receive Soil
https://web01.aphis.usda.gov/PPQ/AuthSoilLabs.nsf/web

Answer Title: Mail - Mailing vs. shipping packages
Answer Link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/116
¬ Outback in Idaho

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 12:15:30 AM
Well that sure beats an outright no.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 02:09:46 AM
I'll have a look and see if I have any red desert sand that hitchhiked home with me from the last trip out west.
That was to Wyandra about 900km drive from here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyandra,_Queensland

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 03:08:50 PM

Sand can be imported if it is clean beach, desert, or river sand that does not have any soil or organic matter. Soil has to be imported through a USDA approved lab. Please see the links below. I hope this answer helps.

Mark

Looks like clean desert or river sand is OK (in small quantities for personal use), but soil seems to lead to a dead end.  If I read the words correctly the places authorised to receive soil won't be allowed to send it on to you.
Soil received by an inspected facility may not be re-shipped to any other facility unless the destination facility is shown in this list as eligible to receive that type of soil.

If you have no luck with any one else I can probably make a few enquiries at the 4WD club I used to be in and find out who is going on the next proper outback trip and ask if they can bring back some clean red desert sand.  This will take quite a while, as most sensible people wait until winter to trip through central Australia (we are in the middle of summer here now).

You might want to ask your customs contact exactly what wording they suggest for the customs declaration form to help ease the process of getting it past US customs and quarantine.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 03:21:39 PM

Mark

Looks like clean desert or river sand is OK (in small quantities for personal use), but soil seems to lead to a dead end.  If I read the words correctly the places authorised to receive soil won't be allowed to send it on to you.
Soil received by an inspected facility may not be re-shipped to any other facility unless the destination facility is shown in this list as eligible to receive that type of soil.

If you have no luck with any one else I can probably make a few enquiries at the 4WD club I used to be in and find out who is going on the next proper outback trip and ask if they can bring back some clean red desert sand.  This will take quite a while, as most sensible people wait until winter to trip through central Australia (we are in the middle of summer here now).

You might want to ask your customs contact exactly what wording they suggest for the customs declaration form to help ease the process of getting it past US customs and quarantine.

Have submitted that question back to the customs agent. Will reply once that gets answered.

Made a few inquiries to tourist shops and other Australian shops. On facebook they just like the post. Emails go unanswered.  I'd probably have better luck inquiring about a case of Queensland XXXX.   :P
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 06:16:22 PM
If that's the case, have them send along a case of Victoria Bitter as well, will you?

:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 11:39:58 PM
Wow, they replied in half a day! They also offered a Support Account, that could be an automation process too.

The person sending the sand/soil just has to declare it as what it is. If you want a sample of red soil it is best to have it sent to a USDA approved lab. They can then sterilize the soil by heating it and then turn it over to you. Please write back if you have any more questions.
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 01:13:39 AM
Always great to get good news!

Def

Reply #42 on: March 02, 2013, 11:12:27 PM
  The Sentimental Bloke said he would be willing to give it a shot next time get gets out that way.   :D

He's got some terrific photos on his blog. I subscribed and he had some excellent shots of a creek bed with yellow footed wallabies.
¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: March 03, 2013, 01:12:53 AM
I was passing a souvenir shop the other day and asked if they still had the vials of sand. The lady said she hasn't stocked them in years and isn't sure if you can even still get them.

I may be doing a trip in the not too distant future, so will keep you in mind.

Reply #44 on: November 18, 2013, 04:30:07 AM
  Still no luck. Was looking for the elusive Australian red dirt again today when I happened across a few Australian Brecciated Mookaite. prices seem to be all around the scale of $20 to over $80.

Then got to wondering what affordable gemstones there are that are unique to Australia if I cannot get some down under red dirt. Sadly Google thinks unique means rare.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #45 on: May 27, 2017, 12:02:22 AM
  Oddly enough I did get some red sand, do to speak, that was mixed with paint and applied to a didgeridoo. However I'm not about to go scraping it off cause it's part of the didgeridoo ya know! :D

However, still have not obtained a small amount like in a vial or something to hang around a necklace. Had thought that perhaps someone in the entire continent of Australia would of come across the idea of Australia shaped resin that had loose red sand inside from one of their deserts, that would attach to a necklace or keychain.
  Closest I had come to, before the didgeridoo, was photos of red sand. :twak: Not the same thing.

Found a photo of something similar from Australia, so sent them an inquiry.

Needs to be pure sand.

Stones/Pebbles/Sand are generally acceptable in small quantities as long as the item does not present a threat to American agriculture and the harvesting of the item was not detrimental to the any species and/or the environment.

:pok:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:03:25 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #46 on: May 27, 2017, 12:08:09 AM
 Eureka!?!

Etsy

And.... ordered.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:17:34 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #47 on: May 27, 2017, 12:09:22 AM
Wow is this an old post, I must say I love the staffs! What wood?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Reply #48 on: May 27, 2017, 12:19:57 AM
JR

The didgeridoo? Bloodwood Eucalyptus :D  $500 for didge, though David used sand acquired from a Goanna gig at Uluru and then mixed with the paint.
   Shipping was killer. :ahhh
¬ Outback in Idaho

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 27, 2017, 12:23:47 AM
They can then sterilize the soil by heating it and then turn it over to you.

It's been sitting in an arid desert for millions of years. I feel that it's about as sterile as you're going to get...

That looks like such a tiny container of dirt...

Less than I just hosed off the floor mats in my truck  :rofl:

Then got to wondering what affordable gemstones there are that are unique to Australia if I cannot get some down under red dirt. Sadly Google thinks unique means rare.

We're mostly famous for opals?

We have some cool rocks that you can get in the top end (I forget, off hand, what they are)

It'd be unlikely we have any unique gemstones. Geology being what it is.

We do a pretty roaring trade in coal, gas, and uranium, if any of those are of interest  :rofl:

It's worth noting (if I havn't already) that red dirt is actually in really inconvenient places, as far as "areas where humans can comfortably live" is concerned.

Many Aussies have never seen it themselves.

I can get you white dirt and yellow dirt without a great deal of effort, even from a Genuine Opal Mine....but I'm lucky if I see red dirt once or twice a year myself

(I think I've been through Red Dirt country maybe 6 or 7 times since you first makde this thread - If I was better organised and had of thought of it, I could have grabbed some...)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:29:53 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: May 27, 2017, 04:16:01 AM
JR

The didgeridoo? Bloodwood Eucalyptus :D  $500 for didge, though David used sand acquired from a Goanna gig at Uluru and then mixed with the paint.
Sick! I always wanted a chilean cactus rainstick, I thought of making one into a walking staff, they weigh absolutely nothing, yet are strong, but the sound they make will literly put you to sleep!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Reply #51 on: May 27, 2017, 08:24:24 AM
JR

Sick! I always wanted a chilean cactus rainstick, I thought of making one into a walking staff, they weigh absolutely nothing, yet are strong, but the sound they make will literly put you to sleep!
JR

Might have to put one of these on a wish list. Imagine the church folk would like the sound of this, and would be easier on my fingers than what the ukulele has been. originally thought a ukulele would be good with the didgeridoo. The one I got hasn't been, but this... if long enough... maybe? :D  Thanks for bring this to our attention.

Seen this video that sell them, and they make a rough musical rendition at the end.

This woman gets down with the rainstick groove!

Tibetan Singing Bowls + Chilean Rainstick - 2 hours long!

¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: May 27, 2017, 06:30:58 PM
JR

JR

Might have to put one of these on a wish list. Imagine the church folk would like the sound of this, and would be easier on my fingers than what the ukulele has been. originally thought a ukulele would be good with the didgeridoo. The one I got hasn't been, but this... if long enough... maybe? :D  Thanks for bring this to our attention.

Seen this video that sell them, and they make a rough musical rendition at the end.

This woman gets down with the rainstick groove!

Tibetan Singing Bowls + Chilean Rainstick - 2 hours long!

:facepalm: a ukulele? Our one son just bought his little brother one, needless to say he was trying to tune it last night..Lol

But yeah I bet one of those would be easy on the fingers, lol.. my grandparents had one of them, they lived out in Arizona and every time I went out to visit I had to use it, it was just sooo relaxing. I wanted to make a hiking staff/cane out of a cactus cause their so thick and look like they weigh so much yet weigh nothing.. only thing is they can get pretty pricy, but a short one isn't much..
JR

Reply #53 on: May 27, 2017, 11:05:58 PM
  Seen prices of $65 to $85 for a 5 footer. Is one on Ebay (used) for $45.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #54 on: May 27, 2017, 11:09:36 PM
Eureka!?!

Etsy
  (Image removed from quote.)

And.... ordered.

And this came in from a gal from Holland who claims to have sand from Coober Pedy. Hmm... either could be just regular red colored sand, though one from Australia would be more believable than Holland.

Colorful sand though. :cheers:
¬ Outback in Idaho

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: May 28, 2017, 12:09:51 AM
I've been to Coober Pedy more times than any sane person should really have to - The dirt has never struck me as being the same impressive red sand as the stuff I think you want which comes from dunes a bit further into the outback.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #56 on: May 28, 2017, 05:56:10 PM
A cynic could point out that the red colour in Aussie dirt is just iron oxide - yep, good old rust.  So all you have to do is put some regular sand  and water in a container with a LM MT and pretty soon you should have some "red" sand !    :pok:   :rofl:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Reply #57 on: July 21, 2017, 01:11:54 AM
  Quest fulfilled :D

¬ Outback in Idaho

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #58 on: July 21, 2017, 09:41:57 AM
Whoa...

Congratulations!!  :ahhh :ahhh :cheers:

How did you do it, if I may ask?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Reply #59 on: July 21, 2017, 10:30:36 AM
Whoa...

Congratulations!!  :ahhh :ahhh :cheers:

How did you do it, if I may ask?

This Etsy place finally came through for me. Was like over a month if silence, then they responded. What surprised me was they included extra sand. I opened that up and felt it. It's got a unique texture, almost silky. Doesn't have any smell, and I didn't try any of the other senses.  :twak: Poncho for thinking it!  :twak:

Am definitely impressed. 35 year quest fulfilled! :D

The sand in your necklace was collected in the Tanami Desert in Australia’s Outback, Northern Territory at these coordinates: -17° 17' 58.68", 132° 01' 30.99"
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:23:50 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%