Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just read this on Vic's FB page.

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Re: Just read this on Vic's FB page.
Reply #120 on: February 02, 2013, 06:31:27 PM
Swissbianco said on BF that wenger will continue to be produced for 2013 and in 2014 they will either stop wenger all together or merge some of them.

Ash's mobile on the move.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #121 on: February 02, 2013, 07:21:04 PM
This seems to be The Thread for voicing all our thoughts on the official loss of the Wenger branding, so here's mine:

• Less competition means less innovation and maybe higher prices. :(
  • Maybe the inferior leaf-spring scissors and pliers on Victorinoxes will become a thing of that past? :)
  • Maybe they will start using the (also superior) Wenger scale material that is not so brittle as Vic's cellidor? :)
  • Maybe they will (eventually) integrate the self-locking screwdrivers into Victorinoxes...
  • ...but I bet, at first, at least, they will just re-brand the Wenger designs that they decide to keep as Victorinox. It makes the most sense financially to just use existing Wenger tooling, and just change the shield. At least for a while.
  • Maybe due to economy of scale, the Wenger designs that are kept will come down in price?
  • Lynn, you liked your old SOG Crosscut. Better grab a Wenger Gardner model now, as I'm sure that one won't make the cut. The lone Amazon reviewer says it is the best scissors EVER on a MT, and I believe it, if it uses the same form factor as the Wenger pliers...
  • Bye-bye inferior Wenger can opener. :)
  • Not sure I'll join you guys and get a Wenger SI. I've already got a '97 Victorinox Soldier...
  • I'll be definitely getting a Micro Toolchest, maybe a Clipper, and certainly one or two others. They'll see some day-to-day use, but I may keep the boxes in case I decide to cash in a few years from now when they start to demand crazy prices. ;)
  • If you haven't tried a Ranger with pliers, I recommend you do now. It is the BEST needlenose pliers I've ever experienced. Puts all of the Leatherman/SwissTool/SOG/Gerber ones to shame: nice strong spring, very fine tip, and easy to hang onto. Really good wire clipper too.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline The Shadow

Reply #122 on: February 02, 2013, 07:56:40 PM
Before we all, namely I, rush off panic buying - When does production actually cease??

Uhhh... what was that?  Sorry, I was off panic buying.  Always wanted a nice Ranger so this was a nice kick in the pants to buy it now.
Who knows...

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: February 03, 2013, 06:42:06 PM

most sad already, i did hope all the way that Wenger would continue, and with the help of Victorinox be a self business again,. did not go so,
i have however made a mark with a few words for my self so i remember in the future,
to remove the competition i feel one remove a important factor for how the future knife will look like,
Victorinox is professional and i am just an amature history seeker, collector and enthusiast , however i do not like a one way street with the SAKs, i will be optimistic for the future even so, Victorinox have done great things also, they take collectors more seriously and even ask for design contests, they have for many years had workers come up with new ideas for products and they have listened to ideas from enthusiasts around the world, the SAK is an icon, not to toy with, but i fear a one company, sadly we live in a world of big changes with the world crisis, to have all the workers keep the job is wonderful, ..Victorinox got its values, its origin the Founder, and i feel we will have iconic great SAKs in the future, this sad, some Wenger knives will be produced with Vics name on them, and i guess that Wenger patents and the exclusive functions may live further,
in a few years time i feel we will have a point of  where the factor of competition will play a role.....

Get more tools

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: February 05, 2013, 02:07:05 AM
The last couple of days I tried to scan every press report.

I think the following information is useful:

... Wenger currently has 248 employees, 193 of which in Delsberg, 47 in the U.S. and 8 other locations. The knife production comprises about 2.2 million units a year.

Victorinox has around 1900 people. The Familienunternehman based in Ibach (municipality Schwyz) annually produces 25 million multitools. ...

... Wenger US office will be merged with Victorinox in  Monroe Connecticut ...

The following surprised me, but if it comes to pass maybe things will work out for the best... (... Around two-thirds ...).

... Victorinox Spokesman Urs Keiser said on request of the BBC, is the production site Delémont including its 193 employees will receive. Around two-thirds of the previous Wenger knives collection are therefore made in the future under the Victorinox brand. ...

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: February 05, 2013, 10:49:09 AM
Had been talking with the official importer here, few days ago.
I saw pictures of a new Wenger "prototype" which now probably won't see the light, but looked really interesting (and innovative).

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: February 05, 2013, 12:41:16 PM
The last couple of days I tried to scan every press report.

I think the following information is useful:

... Wenger currently has 248 employees, 193 of which in Delsberg, 47 in the U.S. and 8 other locations. The knife production comprises about 2.2 million units a year.

Victorinox has around 1900 people. The Familienunternehman based in Ibach (municipality Schwyz) annually produces 25 million multitools. ...

... Wenger US office will be merged with Victorinox in  Monroe Connecticut ...

The following surprised me, but if it comes to pass maybe things will work out for the best... (... Around two-thirds ...).

... Victorinox Spokesman Urs Keiser said on request of the BBC, is the production site Delémont including its 193 employees will receive. Around two-thirds of the previous Wenger knives collection are therefore made in the future under the Victorinox brand. ...

yes, it will be interesting to follow the future and hopefully it will turn out well,
http://www.nzz.ch/aktuell/panorama/aus-fuer-wenger-messer-1.17973519
symbolic decline...mmmh
The wenger name will live on by tents and luggage items, and from my info the watches will be made with Wenger name still also,. it will not be easy to keep 2/3 rds of Wenger products and still avoid duplications, by this duplications do they mean Victorinox will present a product range with best vary in the product, most people can not see the differences between the two, for us collectors we do :) i will be optimistic, with 2/3 of Wenger products it may be well, but i hope it will not result in a range fully removed, and if the stamp could be Victorinox made by Wenger it would be best , but that will not happen... :)but i fear the part with Wenger product development and new inventions will dissapear, this is a vital part of the two brands philosophies and 120 years of history between...
No doubt the two factories will present a product range never seen before, i have a feeling the new markeds will require alot of knives made,
Get more tools

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: February 05, 2013, 12:44:57 PM
Had been talking with the official importer here, few days ago.
I saw pictures of a new Wenger "prototype" which now probably won't see the light, but looked really interesting (and innovative).

yes this is very well sad basilio!
There are Wenger inventions and patents that may never have been used, not sure , but if so it may be because of economic , production means or other, it may be lost this vital part......
Get more tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #128 on: February 05, 2013, 02:55:26 PM
Sadly I can potentially see a lot of Wenger's more unusual tools go.  Lets be honest, just how many Rollerblade SAKs were made and sold?  Enough to make a good return on the design and set-up?  Maybe, but I'm not going to bet on it. :-\  Same guess goes for a lot of their speSmurfpillsed SAKs IMO.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #129 on: February 05, 2013, 03:02:42 PM
Agreed! That kind of venture is great if you get a bike/board/skate manufacturer approaching you for a couple of container loads of custom tools to sell through their own channels (think Bernina model), but not as a specific line direct from manufacturer  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: February 05, 2013, 03:23:33 PM
Sadly I can potentially see a lot of Wenger's more unusual tools go.  Lets be honest, just how many Rollerblade SAKs were made and sold?  Enough to make a good return on the design and set-up?  Maybe, but I'm not going to bet on it. :-\  Same guess goes for a lot of their speSmurfpillsed SAKs IMO.

yep,
i will miss this different designs between the two brands, i am rather sure only the best sellers from the categories and the ones avoiding to much duplicating will go on :D
Get more tools

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: February 05, 2013, 09:57:43 PM
I just got my Evo 88, and am undecided on my next Wenger acquisition, between the Evo S14 and S17.  The only difference is the S17 has a saw, and they are within $1 of one another in price.  Regardless, one of them will be my next SAK purchase, and I've got my mind set right now on getting an S52 or S557 next month.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #132 on: February 07, 2013, 07:17:10 AM
Victorinox Myth DE: You can bookmark this page. Our mini website will be launched mid-February.
http://swissmyths.victorinox.com/
comingsoonvic.jpg
* comingsoonvic.jpg (Filesize: 16.31 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%