Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Plain Edge OH Trekker question.

us Offline Thisjk38

Plain Edge OH Trekker question.
on: February 01, 2013, 08:38:25 AM
So I bought this on EBay the other day and I am pretty excited about it. It's a plain edge OHO Trekker. I have the partial serrated version and do like it, but I just dig a straight edge more. I read on SAKwiki that a plain edge version was offered as a limited run in 2007. Now my question is, How can I figure out if this a legitimate plain edge from Vic or if someone modded it by grinding off the serrations? This knife is V ground evenly the whole way through the blade, and to my untrained eye, it does look like it came from the factory like this. Any opinions?
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 100.26 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 116.64 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 75.62 KB)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Plain Edge OH Trekker question.
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:53:47 AM
Looks right to me.  I bought a OHO trekker plain edge NIB awhile ago, and mine looks exactly like yours.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:21:08 PM
I'd expect the blade to be narrower as well if someone removed the serrations as well. So as long as the blade looks like the normal shape I'd say you're golden. :)

nl Offline marcel.reijerse

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:37:51 PM
So I bought this on EBay the other day and I am pretty excited about it. It's a plain edge OHO Trekker. I have the partial serrated version and do like it, but I just dig a straight edge more. I read on SAKwiki that a plain edge version was offered as a limited run in 2007. Now my question is, How can I figure out if this a legitimate plain edge from Vic or if someone modded it by grinding off the serrations? This knife is V ground evenly the whole way through the blade, and to my untrained eye, it does look like it came from the factory like this. Any opinions?

The plain edge trekker wasn't just released as a LE. A quote from sakwiki:
OHT Plain Edge; In 2007 a limited run of Plain Edged One Handed Trekkers (PE OHT) was done (date needs verification). In 2008 the plain-edged one handed opening blade was offered as a standard option.

Yours is probably legit.

Offline jrp316

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:13:08 PM
Sounds like yours is the real deal. Now, if they would offer the Soldier with the plain edge as a standard option, I'd be happy. I'd even settle for a plain edge knife with the dual density scales  :D.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:24:25 PM
Sounds like yours is the real deal. Now, if they would offer the Soldier with the plain edge as a standard option, I'd be happy. I'd even settle for a plain edge knife with the dual density scales  :D.

Buy the PE Trekker and some DD scales and swap them yourself? :) I know Swissbianco used to sell them at times.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:27:32 PM
Ya you can still buy the plain edge trekker, but Ive only ever seen the one version of it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-One-Hand-Trekker-Black-Plain-Edge-Knife-54875-/130818560496?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item1e7564d1f0

thats the one I have, same as yours.

Seems like the 111mm size is a good candidate for a custom made blade to replace the combo ones alot of people hate.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline jrp316

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:44:45 PM

Buy the PE Trekker and some DD scales and swap them yourself? :) I know Swissbianco used to sell them at times.

Seems like he's the only one that has them; I may have to hit him up and see if he still has them (preferably sans pocket clip).

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:19:34 PM
Thanks a lot for the confirmation.  I'm really excited to finally have this knife, I really fill it will become my go to out doors knife. Just this SAK and a mt should cover all my needs. Now what is special about the DD scales? I have never reloy paid much attention to them?

Offline jrp316

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 10:28:05 PM
They're more comfy to grip than the standard cellidor scales IMHO. Check out the new Soldier (basically a OH Trekker made for the Swiss Army) or any of the Grip series knives.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%