Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Wengers are you going to buy (or have bought) now that the brand is dying?

Smaug · 82 · 9109

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
I'd quite like another SI :)

It is such a shame though :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
I just ordered Wenger Exclusivities S557.
I found it at a bargain price, and now I can't wait to get it.

us Offline getahl

My most recent Wenger purchases were a pair of translucent blue Esquires a couple years ago, so hadn't really thought about getting any others. Until tonight.

I had been kicking around the idea of procuring a Waiter. So, in addition to the mesh laundry bag I picked up on Amazon, I decided to go with the Evo 63...essentially the Wenger Waiter. Should be here in a couple days.

Otherwise, I'm fine on Wengers (SI, PTC, two Esquires, a Traveller, an EvoGrip 18, and a EvoSoft 14).

Edit to add a response to Monrogue, regarding the differences between the SI and Pioneer/old Vic Soldier. I don't notice any difference in tool thickness between the two knives. There are minute differences, detailed in a SOSAK article a few years back, such as a larger nail nick on one, a pointier awl on the other, etc. In my view, the only appreciable differences are the presence of the bail, and the blade on the SI has a little bit more belly to it than its Victorinox counterparts. Otherwise, they're essentially the same knife.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:16:31 AM by getahl »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
My most recent Wenger purchases were a pair of translucent blue Esquires a couple years ago, so hadn't really thought about getting any others. Until tonight.

I had been kicking around the idea of procuring a Waiter. So, in addition to the mesh laundry bag I picked up on Amazon, I decided to go with the Evo 63...essentially the Wenger Waiter. Should be here in a couple days.

Otherwise, I'm fine on Wengers (SI, PTC, two Esquires, a Traveller, an EvoGrip 18, and a EvoSoft 14).

Edit to add a response to Monrogue, regarding the differences between the SI and Pioneer/old Vic Soldier. I don't notice any difference in tool thickness between the two knives. There are minute differences, detailed in a SOSAK article a few years back, such as a larger nail nick on one, a pointier awl on the other, etc. In my view, the only appreciable differences are the presence of the bail, and the blade on the SI has a little bit more belly to it than its Victorinox counterparts. Otherwise, they're essentially the same knife.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it :salute:
K-Tibbs

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
I received S557 today, now I need to buy Wenger Patriot red alox and Wenger Blackout 63 and I'm good.

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Mailman just dropped a Blackout 10.
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

nl Offline Wootz

I must admit the Wenger S 557 EvoWood is very tempting..

Special offer in my country is 76,45 euro (free shipping).

How much do you guys pay for it in the US?

us Offline Mud Shrimp Moe

I agree in principle. But one other detail .... My SI also has sharpening on the concave part of the cap lifter, which I'm taking to be a wire stripping blade. It's not razor sharp, but it's pretty sharp. And it's obviously factory done too. Mine is a 1990 model, however, so I'm not sure if it's typical of late models.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Got my Evo S14 in the mail today.  Very pleased with it.  I like some of the subtle differences it has compared to my Vics.  The scissors are very smooth... feels like they have no friction in the rivet at all.

Definitely bumping an S557 up to the top of my list now!
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline getahl

I agree in principle. But one other detail .... My SI also has sharpening on the concave part of the cap lifter, which I'm taking to be a wire stripping blade. It's not razor sharp, but it's pretty sharp. And it's obviously factory done too. Mine is a 1990 model, however, so I'm not sure if it's typical of late models.

My SI is of 2004 vintage, but doesn't have the sharpened interior on the wire stripper. That's a shame, since that would actually be useful lol.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Got my Evo S14 in the mail today.  Very pleased with it.  I like some of the subtle differences it has compared to my Vics.  The scissors are very smooth... feels like they have no friction in the rivet at all.

The S557 is a fantastic tool.  Very good alligator wrench (for smaller nuts) and excellent sliding joint pliers. :tu:

nl Offline Wootz

The S557 is a fantastic tool.  Very good alligator wrench (for smaller nuts) and excellent sliding joint pliers. :tu:

I took the plunge and ordered EvoWood S557. Lot's of utility in a small package.
Can't wait to give it a run for its mo'.
I hope the wood is properly glued and finished around the edges..?
It has a great tool setup for my uses. And because it as a phillips driver,
the lobster claw canopener is good for ripping and such.
Do you know if the LM removable bit driver fits the inline phillips??
http://www.multitool.org/Leatherman-Tool-Group/Accessories/2006/10/22/removable-bit-driver.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:33:53 AM by Wootz »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
I just ordered Wenger Exclusivities S557.
I found it at a bargain price, and now I can't wait to get it.
Good one to have as a collectible for sure.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Bought myself a Wenger Evowood 17 today, and I must say, I think it's a piece of art  8).

Had a talk with the guy at the counter and I mentioned "the end of Wenger" as a brand, and he told me the Wenger Salesman who comes in the store told him that Victorinox will only stop Wenger watches, but not the knives (don't know if this is true, salesmen in Belgium have a history of not knowing what they're talking about, so ...  ::)).

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Bought myself a Wenger Evowood 17 today, and I must say, I think it's a piece of art  8).
Had a talk with the guy at the counter and I mentioned "the end of Wenger" as a brand, and he told me the Wenger Salesman who comes in the store told him that Victorinox will only stop Wenger watches, but not the knives (don't know if this is true, salesmen in Belgium have a history of not knowing what they're talking about, so ...  ::)).
Really nice photo and nice knife.  Maybe we'll see more of these wood scales on Victorinox. 

Unfortunately the sales guy has it backwards, knives out, watches remain, as has been offcially reported.  that said, some of the knives will make in into the Victorinox line up apparantly so they may not be completely gone.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
I must admit the Wenger S 557 EvoWood is very tempting..

Special offer in my country is 76,45 euro (free shipping).

How much do you guys pay for it in the US?

Cheapest I have seen is $97.50 ~ $100.00
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Last on the list, I think, would be a RangerWood 55. However since am way over budget, will have to wait a while. Maybe even then will have to seek one without those attractive walnut wood scales. Unless I find me a leprechaun or a rabbit that lays gold eggs.  :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:50:40 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
Unless I find me a leprechaun or a rabbit that lays gold eggs.  :D

:rofl:

I plan to buy a Wenger EvoPostAuto
http://www.webers-world.com/product_info.php?info=p529_EvoPostAuto.html
and Wenger EvoWood 35 SAC
http://www.webers-world.com/product_info.php?info=p530_EvoWood-35-SAC.html
But at the moment my knife budget is ... :cry:  :(  :ahhh

Regards

Markus

Unless I find me a leprechaun or a rabbit that lays gold eggs.  :D

:rofl:

I plan to buy a Wenger EvoPostAuto
http://www.webers-world.com/product_info.php?info=p529_EvoPostAuto.html
and Wenger EvoWood 35 SAC
http://www.webers-world.com/product_info.php?info=p530_EvoWood-35-SAC.html
But at the moment my knife budget is ... :cry:  :(  :ahhh

Regards

Markus

Never seen nor heard of an EvoWood 35 SAC ...  :think:
evowood35sac.jpg
* evowood35sac.jpg (Filesize: 25.33 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Or this one, a little pricey but I like idea of the 85mm pliers on the NewRanger. Slimmer profile than the fold out combo pliers. Looks like a fairly unique model.

http://www.swissmade.com/en/web/index.php?id=1678&s=alpine_club_-_ranger_knife

no Offline JRB65

• Dutchman by birth, living in Norway by choice...
Finally gave in and bought a RangerGrip...
The "plain" one, not unlike a Vic Rucksack - only bigger :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%