Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Damota's Cable Cutter

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Damota's Cable Cutter
on: December 03, 2006, 06:51:21 PM
Hope I'm not putting you on the spot here Dave, but I'd like to hear more about your new Gerber Cable Cutter tool. I hijacked a couple of your pictures from other threads. I'm assuming the top photo is BEFORE, as you received the tool, and the bottom photo is AFTER you did your mods?

Any trouble with the disassembly/reassembly? What made you choose the tool selection you did?

Thanks,
~Bob

* gcc before.jpg (Filesize: 72.31 KB)

* gcc after.jpg (Filesize: 62.32 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline damota

Re: Damota's Cable Cutter
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 08:50:48 PM
 As you probable know I have the Freeman and think well of it so when the stand alone Cable Cutter came out I though of making a tool just for cutting and retiring the MP600 that I was only using the saw and screw drivers at the time.
I had plenty of time to work it out because of the delay it took for the UK to get it for retail. I moved the saw adapter and the scissors over to the cutters, I ditched the lanyard ring, tin opener, and the plain blade (I kept the serrated because of the rounded tip (pointy stuff over here means your a murderer in training  :( ). I converted the tool while eating my dinner the day it arrived probably 5 minutes, less than 10 minutes. I had already removed the MP600 bits I wanted, so it was simply a mater of loosening the axles from there mounts sliding them out to remove and then replace the parts. I have to say I am now well impressed with the Gerber engineering it is impossible for that axle to turn once pulled in place by the grub screw. I have it just tight enough so that if you pull the Saf T Lock back the tools drop under there own weight so the unwanted ones can be folded back and the one I want pushed into position one handed. I was a bit worried about the Saf T Lock when I was going to be taking it to bits, I had fears of everything flying all over the place but it is a self contained unit and stripping the tool has no affect on it. The steel plate just slides in the frame contoured in the handles.
I reassembled it with no Loc-Tite and the grub screws have not budged yet although I am getting sick of checking so I may drop a bit on in the future as it is the pressure of being jammed against the frame with absolutely no turning action, that is holding everything tight (although it is looser than it would be when it left the factory). Just have to see how the jaws hold out with them being stainless (I do wish they were a proper tool steel and properly shaped, but I do have the saw to cut heavy stuff and scissors for the fine stuff (I use scissors for wire striping and I cut paper, card and cloth like a tailor). You know find the angle and just push it through the stuff, not accurate but I do not normally have to cut on the dotted line. ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 09:01:50 PM by damota »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 09:18:37 PM
So you've now got scissors, a serrated knife, a saw adapter, and the cable cutter jaws themselves all on the same unit. Sounds like a tool that is ready and able to handle any cutting-type situation.

Almost no matter what it is, you can cut it!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline damota

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 10:01:07 PM
Almost no matter what it is, you can cut it!

You could say "it's a cut above the rest"  :D
The file is important to me as well, it also takes the bit set. All I need is something to hold the odd hex nut while I undo it with the Freeman and it will complete everything I need, explaining my interest in the X - Tract.
I think I had better duck now, after that ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 10:06:47 PM by damota »

Offline damota

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 02:16:36 PM
Thought I would post some pics of Gerber axle assembly
Note the 4 grooves on the head of the axle and how they are pulled in to the handle by the grub screw (please do not tell me anymore about these tools dropping to bit to release that pin from the frame takes a good whack with a mallet or piece of wood it is impossible to rotate that axle). Maybe the original Gerber nipped hands the axles turned loosening screw but they do not now! -
image-1.jpg
* image-1.jpg (Filesize: 69.02 KB)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:25:41 PM by damota »

Offline damota

Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 02:23:45 PM
You can see in these pictures how the grub screw pull the axle into the handle to wedge it tight so in the unlikely event the screw fell out the axle will still be held in place.

Dave
image-2.jpg
* image-2.jpg (Filesize: 63.56 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 03:47:09 AM
Great pics!  Man we need to get more stuff like this on here...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 03:57:03 AM
Great pics!  Man we need to get more stuff like this on here...

Def

I agree! Thanks for disassembly photos damota!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%