Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Serious question 2326

Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 43,126 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Serious question
« on: March 28, 2008, 07:49:18 PM »
For a good few years now, I have been carrying Alox Saks, I love them to bit's and if I had the money I'd collect dozens of them ::)

But there is a dark side to Alox loveliness...

...At least for me :-[

I hardly ever carry/use standard 91/85mm Sak's anymore, despite them having a greater number off tool's  :(, I walk past my Huntsman everyday on my way to work (it's my odd job round the house Sak), do I swap it for my Farmer on the way out the door?...no, and it's the same story with all my other normal Saks ::)

Does anyone else have this problem, or can you happily swithch between the types ???

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!
Global Tuffy Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,102 Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Serious question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:51:57 PM »
I only have the one ALOX SAK and as you are all aware I am very fond of it.  I can swap around though, especially if I feel the need to carry a toothpick or a set of tweezers.

I'm back!!
Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club! Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 43,126 Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:53:14 PM »
I only have the one ALOX SAK and as you are all aware I am very fond of it.  I can swap around though, especially if I feel the need to carry a toothpick or a set of tweezers.
See I just carry a 58mm for all the other bit's like the T & T  :-\

Global Tuffy Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,102 Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 07:56:03 PM »

I do that when I carry my SI or when I don't fancy carrying my Shortcut.  Perhaps I would feel different if I had more ALOX?   :D

I'm back!!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 07:59:39 PM »

I do that when I carry my SI or when I don't fancy carrying my Shortcut.  Perhaps I would feel different if I had more ALOX?   :D
Just one more Alox, ''can you guess what it is kids'' :D

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 08:00:21 PM »
Erm... a Cadet?  :P

I'm back!!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 08:05:10 PM »

No Life Club Posts: 4,253 Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 08:12:04 PM »
I switch between types. Mostly depends on if I'm driving. If I am I carry my Alox. My (usual) EDC is a Farmer which I match up with a Classic on my keychain. However, if she's driving I usually carry a cellidor handled one because I'll need the tweezers and toothpick because I leave my keychain at home. 

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:15:02 PM »
Your luck to be able to flit between the two mate :)

No Life Club Posts: 4,253 Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 08:48:41 PM »
As soon as I get my Fieldmaster I'll just carry it 24/7. That way I have the saw, and scissors and the toothpick/tweezers.

That way I'll never have to buy a SAK again....for a couple of weeks.  :D :D

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.
No Life Club Posts: 1,658 Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 08:48:59 PM »
I just grab whichever one happens to be close to my truck keys and wallet. Which as it turns out is generally whichever one I was carrying the day before that. Now, I also try to plan what I might encounter for the day ...... zombies, collapse of society as we know it, get stranded on a deserted island, fight for survival in a snake infested jungle, etc. The possibilities are endless you know. But in general it's my Huntsman, with it I feel adequately covered for most of my emergencies.

:twak: Just grab the one you want you nut! Stop over thinking this stuff. Man, paralysis through analysis!  :cheers:

Mike

Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.
Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,300 Aggressive in defence
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 08:57:42 PM »
I suppose the Swisstool is my "Farmer" Nothing can replace it even when I try a different tool . I tried tonight , I put my LM Supertool on my belt but the Swisstool still came with me aswell and sat in the glove box of my car  ( its now back on my belt  ::) ) . The thing is as long as I've got a Swisstool with me I can swop and choose whatever SAK/Knife I like . Climber at the moment .

Dunc
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,274
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »
the; "Lure of the Alox" I can really understand it; the fit, the feel, the trust, plus all the sak goodness inside.
I still "try" and carry my others (I do carry my champion plus everyday)
but many end up in my b.o.b.s, p.s.k.s and other "just in case" places.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,057
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
I pick from these mostly, and swap around depending on how I'm dressed and what activities/work I'll be participating in.  The ones marked (*) are the ones that I choose from probably 90% of the time:

Cadet
Farmer *
GAK
Golfer
OHT (micarta)
Safari Hunter (G-10) *
Solo Plus
Ranger
YoMan *
Woodsman *

- Terry

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me...
No Life Club Posts: 2,150 WIFE APPROVED
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 09:40:14 PM »
Just grab the one you want you nut! Stop over thinking this stuff. Man, paralysis through analysis!
I beleive no truer woods were ever spoken.

I love the feel, strength, fit and finish of an alox and I too find myself shying away from the others even though they have more options. ( the one I can't / won't give up though is my OHT).

But going back to the opening statement, speaking from experience I have been late to wherever because I was wondering / worrying which SAK to carry. Would I have to defuse a nuclear weapon today? Questions like that would pop into my head.

I kinda envy my father in law, one knife and he is happy and fulfilled.   Maybe when I get to be his age I can find the "oneness bliss" but until then I will contunie to "stress" over which SAK to carry.

GOD WE NEED HELP!!!!!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,057
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 09:48:05 PM »
Hell, stressing over which SAK to carry is the best part of my day!  Don't ruin it man!

I live such an exciting life...   ::)  :D

- Terry

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me...
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 09:49:49 PM »
Hell, stressing over which SAK to carry is the best part of my day!  Don't ruin it man!

I live such an exciting life...   ::)  :D

Me too!  I love rummaging through my drawer first thing in the morning and loading myself up.  :D

I'm back!!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,274
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 10:40:06 PM »
yeah! deciding our Man accessories!

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 10:42:46 PM »
I miss the choice, it's like I go to pick up another Sak and the go ''Nah'', and grab my farmer instead ::)

No Life Club Posts: 4,542 Hello...is this thing on?
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 11:49:44 PM »
I do tend to pic up my ALOX ones first (1 Farmer, 1 SI, 1 Soldier) but thats probably because they are new and different, but if i think i'll need scissors i'll grab my Climber. Once the honeymoon period of the ALOX has worn off i'll likely carry my climber a lot more. Although if i'm going away at all i'll stick it in my rucksack anyway just as a backup :)

Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 11:52:51 PM »
I do tend to pic up my ALOX ones first (1 Farmer, 1 SI, 1 Soldier) but thats probably because they are new and different, but if i think i'll need scissors i'll grab my Climber. Once the honeymoon period of the ALOX has worn off i'll likely carry my climber a lot more. Although if i'm going away at all i'll stick it in my rucksack anyway just as a backup :)
I'll be interested to see if the novelty actually wears off mate :)

No Life Club Posts: 4,542 Hello...is this thing on?
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 11:57:54 PM »
I'll be interested to see if the novelty actually wears off mate :)

So will I, i'm usually all over a new toy for a few weeks, then it gets put on the back burner for a while then i rediscover it and have a new honeymoon with it.

Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 11:59:46 PM »
I thought that about a my farmer once, and yet here we are years later... :D

No Life Club Posts: 1,798 Spawn of Cthulhu
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 03:39:36 AM »
I miss the choice, it's like I go to pick up another Sak and the go ''Nah'', and grab my farmer instead ::)

That's how I am with my Tinkers.  Despite brief flirtations with other SAKs over the years, I've remained largely faithful to my Tinkers.

I doubt that I've gone more than a few days without a Tinker in my pocket in 25 years.

N
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 09:31:04 AM »
At least I'm not the only one ::) :D

Sr. Member Posts: 427
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 04:49:20 AM »
I'm constantly amazed that I made it 15 years with as many SAKs as I usually have on my person at any given time now.  :D

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $39.00
PayPal Fees: $3.00
Net Balance: $36.00
Below Goal: $239.00
Site Currency: USD
 13%
September Donations

Community Links