Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1159 · 89110

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Appreciation for the Explorer
on: February 08, 2013, 12:17:20 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else find the Explorer to have the perfect balance of tools and just the right amount of layers for EDC?  I think it's the perfect SAK.
SAW

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:22:47 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else find the Explorer to have the perfect balance of tools and just the right amount of layers for EDC?  I think it's the perfect SAK.

HELL Yes sawman
That's why I've got 3 4 of them. I made one into a "plus" with white scales.. :drool:

You're obviously a man of taste - no less.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline sawman

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:23:45 AM

HELL Yes sawman
That's why I've got 3 4 of them. I made one into a "plus" with white scales.. :drool:

You're obviously a man of taste - no less.
Thanks and Cheers Tosh  :cheers:
SAW

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:29:45 AM
I've got three, plus one that has been given custom made Alox Scales plus one that has been a donor to put Scissors, Mag glass and Phillips into a Pioneer. and one that has been whittled down to a Yeoman.
So, I guess that makes me an explorer fan too.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:30:54 AM
i prefer the yeoman but for saks you can go into the store and buy it's a good one

us Offline sawman

Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 12:35:19 AM
i prefer the yeoman but for saks you can go into the store and buy it's a good one
While I can see why you would prefer the yoeman, I personally like the seperate driver and canopener implements over the compact tool.  For my uses, the screwdriver is a better fit and I find the individual canopener quite faster as well.
SAW

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 12:39:24 AM
^i can see what you are saying about the openers layer, those i don't mind as much.  I just find the small blade to be a waste of a spot.

now put a file in that spot, and the explorer would be a great combo.  or electricians blade... 

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 12:50:43 AM
^ I just find the small blade to be a waste of a spot.

now put a ............ or electricians blade... (That would be a very good idea, I have to say)

Funnily enough that's exactly the reason why I DO like the Explorer. Here in the UK, it's very unwise to pull out a knife, whether it be non-locking or whatever. But the small blade on the Vic's seems to be perfectly acceptable and totally unthreatening
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 01:00:28 AM
Great SAK!  :tu:  Mine's yellow....  :)

I think it'll see some pocket time tomorrow.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 01:43:27 AM
I'm fond of the Explorer myself.  For my needs, my Yeoman is a more economical choice, but I understand the benefit of the full sized Explorer.  The next two mods I'm planning on doing are both going to be based on Explorers in fact.  One with a saw, to make a Woodsman, and another with pliers.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 02:17:52 AM
^ I just find the small blade to be a waste of a spot.

now put a ............ or electricians blade... (That would be a very good idea, I have to say)

Funnily enough that's exactly the reason why I DO like the Explorer. Here in the UK, it's very unwise to pull out a knife, whether it be non-locking or whatever. But the small blade on the Vic's seems to be perfectly acceptable and totally unthreatening

that's what makes this all so much fun: different needs for different people!

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 02:38:07 AM
 I find it to be quite AWESOME !
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:21:16 AM by colt 1911 »
CHEERS

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 02:52:53 AM
I'm another Yeoman fan.

I do have an old style Explorer which does get bag carry as back up, but if I want that tool set in my pocket I'll grab the Yeoman  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 02:57:40 AM
I'm fond of the Explorer myself.  For my needs, my Yeoman is a more economical choice, but I understand the benefit of the full sized Explorer.  The next two mods I'm planning on doing are both going to be based on Explorers in fact.  One with a saw, to make a Woodsman, and another with pliers.

I'm about to make a woodsman too! I have a junky explorer I got for cheap so I'm going to put the mag/philips layer in a huntsman I just got from Lowtech. The only thing I can't decide is whether I want stayglow or plus scales. This decision is tearing me apart! It isn't hard because of choosing between the glowing or the pen, I just can't decide between the colors!  :facepalm:

us Online powernoodle

Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 04:40:40 AM

Right on.  I own dozens of SAKs, and can't stop buying them.  I ordered an Executive today.  But my years of buying and hoarding and carrying on a daily basis have resulted in the Explorer Plus rising to the top.  I try to downsize to 2 or 3 layers at 91mm, or down to 58mm, and those are great, but I always end up back with the Explorer Plus.  The real kicker for me is the phillips that folds out 180 degrees like God intended.  I have them in red, yellow and sapphire.  But for me, they are the right convergence of size/weight vs. utility.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 09:13:36 AM

yes, the Explorer is one of my favorite knives, had it for edc for many years,.
Get more tools

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 02:36:27 PM
Explorers are awesome, but I really do miss the old style mag glass.  I like the newer phillips driver better, but definitely prefer the older mag glass.  An explorer with plus scales would cover most of my daily needs.  I still EDC a cybertool 34 but honestly the pliers have not been used yet, but i keep thinking sometime I'll need them, so an explorer would suffice.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 02:44:09 PM
Explorers are awesome, but I really do miss the old style mag glass.  I like the newer phillips driver better, but definitely prefer the older mag glass.  An explorer with plus scales would cover most of my daily needs.  I still EDC a cybertool 34 but honestly the pliers have not been used yet, but i keep thinking sometime I'll need them, so an explorer would suffice.

What makes you prefer the old mag glass and the new philips?

Isn't the new philips just shorter than the older one?

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 03:03:08 PM

The Magnifying Glass was first introduced in 1973 and featured a glass lens with a Grey plastic housing. In 2007 the Magnifier was changed to a new model with a transparent plastic housing and a plastic lens. The 2007 magnifier has a slightly lower level of magnification, and a slightly wider area of view due to the slimmer housing and lower magnification.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Magnifying+Glass
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:09:12 PM by colt 1911 »
CHEERS

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 03:12:01 PM
Well yes, I know the difference.. just wondering what he preferred about the older one. :) (as well as the newer philips)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 04:17:08 PM
The steel on the new phillips is better.  The old ones you can damage the lugs way easier.  So I like the newer one for that reason, more durable.  Longer would be nice, but I pick steel over length.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 04:28:23 PM
Nice set of tools, powernoodle.  But why the nailclippers when you have the SAK scissors?  And what do you do with the marker?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:31:32 PM by J Mackrel Jones »
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 06:29:49 PM

I'm about to make a woodsman too! I have a junky explorer I got for cheap so I'm going to put the mag/philips layer in a huntsman I just got from Lowtech. The only thing I can't decide is whether I want stayglow or plus scales. This decision is tearing me apart! It isn't hard because of choosing between the glowing or the pen, I just can't decide between the colors!  :facepalm:
I'd go with the plus scales myself.  I've probably only used the pen that comes with them less than a handful of times, but it's still nice to have.  But, I think the most important consideration is what your intended use is going to be.  If you're going to make a Woodsman and then squirrel it away in a backpack or BOB, then I'd say the stay-glow is the better choice, because it'll help you find it when you really need it.  On the other hand, if you're planning on doing it for EDC, then I'd say go with the plus scales.  Personally, I'd make a Woodsman with stay-glow, and an Explorer +pliers (still not sure what I'd call it, been thinking "Machinist" would be a good name) for EDC use with plus scales.  But, that's just me.  YMMV of course.  :)
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 07:32:46 PM
The Explorer is one of my two favorite SAK's, the other one being the Swisschamp  8).

Offline jrp316

Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 08:06:35 PM

Are you keeping the scissors on the planned pliers mod or taking them off?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 08:13:36 PM
I love the Explorer but have a hard time with pocket carry as the four layers make it tough so I normally carry the Super Tinker instead.  I wish I could get by that and maybe if I carried it more, I would get used to it.  It has the tools I need as I really use the mag glass quite often.

Maybe I need a custom with the opener layer, blade and mag. glass/inline philips!  That would get me to three layers! :D

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 08:17:21 PM
The Explorer is one of my two favorite SAK's, the other one being the Swisschamp  8).

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

good pics

what are those walls made of?

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 08:18:26 PM
Well yes, I know the difference.. just wondering what he preferred about the older one. :) (as well as the newer philips)

Didn't know that, thanks. :)

Now if we could just get them to make a longer one with that steel..  :whistle:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 08:29:12 PM

Didn't know that, thanks. :)

Now if we could just get them to make a longer one with that steel..  :whistle:
Unfortunately I don't think that can happen. The new magnifying glass and light are larger so the philips had to get smaller to fit them.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 08:29:45 PM
i use the old style on my mods because i like the extra length and haven't had any problems with the steel being too soft.

I've used mine pretty heavy too, not disagreeing but I'd almost think the brass pin on that side would have problems before you could torq so hard to mess up the phillips steel...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%