Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 89845

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #120 on: June 11, 2013, 02:43:02 PM
Alas, my Explorer is no more.  I sacrificed it (for the mag/phillips layer) along with my Compact for a modding job, but it will be worth it :D 
K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #121 on: June 11, 2013, 02:44:26 PM
Got my Explorer in my pocket today actually.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #122 on: June 11, 2013, 03:04:27 PM
Got my Explorer in my pocket today actually.  :tu:

Good man :salute:  Even though I sacrificed mine, I'm happy with what I have coming as a result.  I still think the Explorer is one of the best, if not the best, all-arounder SAK that is still in production :tu:
K-Tibbs

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #123 on: June 11, 2013, 03:32:39 PM
Great Explorers never die...they just become Yeomen!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #124 on: June 11, 2013, 03:46:38 PM

:tu:  Mine's a Yeoman plus a couple extras (seen recently in the Latest SAK thread), but I don't know what I should call it exactly.  Once I receive both of my mods, I may have to start a thread for name suggestions :think:
K-Tibbs

Offline Aped38

Reply #125 on: June 11, 2013, 06:45:41 PM
What is the difference between a standard Explorer and a Yeoman?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #126 on: June 11, 2013, 07:03:36 PM
What is the difference between a standard Explorer and a Yeoman?

The Yeoman is basically a trimmed down Explorer plus with the opener layer removed and the small blade replaced with a combo opener tool.  It's only 3 layers while the Explorer is 4.  Oh and there is a nailfile made onto the hook in the Yeoman. 
K-Tibbs

Offline Aped38

Reply #127 on: June 11, 2013, 07:27:44 PM
The Yeoman does look like a better option for me, as I have found the 4 layer Explorer too thick. That's why the Climber is my choice, but I do like the pen. Where can I buy the Yeoman? What is the actual model and who makes them? Sorry for my ignorance.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #128 on: June 11, 2013, 08:29:23 PM
The Yeoman does look like a better option for me, as I have found the 4 layer Explorer too thick. That's why the Climber is my choice, but I do like the pen. Where can I buy the Yeoman? What is the actual model and who makes them? Sorry for my ignorance.

Not a problem, that's what we do around here :)  This is a very educational place to be :tu:  I would never have know about the Yeoman if not for joining up here.  They are no longer in production by Victorinox and are not always readily available.  Swiss Bianco does them, and currently has them for sale as far as I know.  Someone provided me with a link recently, but unfortunately I cannot provide it from work.  I will try to find the post containing it for you.  They are a bit pricey though.  You may also find one on Ebay occasionally.  The other option is to have one created for you by one of our resident modders. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #129 on: June 11, 2013, 08:41:55 PM
Aped38, here is the link: 
http://www.swissbianco.com/products/sak/foldingknives/yeoman-mechanic-sak-detail.html

Hopefully it works.  I think it goes to the Yeoman Mechanic (has pliers), but you should be able to get right to the regular Yeoman from there.  I just looked and it's the very last one on the last page, the Yeoman Sapphire.
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #130 on: January 01, 2014, 06:02:41 PM
Figured I'd rejuvenate this thread with my new (to me) old mag glass Explorer :D  It came with the standard red cellidor scales, but I swapped them with my Ranger Plus's ruby scales after giving it a warm, soapy bath.  So now it is a ruby Explorer Plus :tu: 

K-Tibbs

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #131 on: January 01, 2014, 07:04:26 PM
Good thread bump.  I said it elsewhere but I'll say it again here; I'm really liking my new Explorer. :tu:  I've also managed to snag one with the new style glass magnifier, though I wasn't bothered by the plastic lensed one TBH. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #132 on: January 01, 2014, 07:28:35 PM
Glad you're getting along well with your Explorer Gareth :)  That's what I wanted originally, the new style glass one, but I saw this one and had the spare cash to grab it, so I did just that.  This is the first SAK I've gotten that I cleaned up nice and swapped scales, and I'm pleased with the results :tu:  The Explorer really is one of the best stock SAKs, imho of course.
K-Tibbs

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #133 on: January 01, 2014, 07:55:58 PM
Although I do prefer the Alox range, the Explorer has a great tool combo, and I it sits in my pocket a lot lately.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #134 on: January 01, 2014, 07:57:29 PM
   I've been deliberating for several days whether or not I would buy the Explorer, but in the end I've decided to do it.

This will be the one:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #135 on: January 01, 2014, 08:03:43 PM
   I've been deliberating for several days whether or not I would buy the Explorer, but in the end I've decided to do it.

This will be the one:

(Image removed from quote.)

Good for you.  The Explorer is a great SAK.  :tu:  My yellow one still sees regular pocket time, including today.  :)  I've found that the seperate opener layer is more useful to me than the combo tool on the Yeoman, that utility more than making up for the extra layer. 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #136 on: January 01, 2014, 09:07:41 PM
@jerseydevil

What I was worried about is the fact that the Explorer is rather bulky compared to the Victorinox Alox knives which I'm used to and very happy with.

The other thing which I thought about a lot is that there seems to be an issue with the magnifying glass, at least according to some people.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #137 on: January 01, 2014, 09:11:09 PM
Although I do prefer the Alox range, the Explorer has a great tool combo, and I it sits in my pocket a lot lately.

I'm very partial to the Alox too, but I will give the Explorer a go anyway.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #138 on: January 02, 2014, 02:10:33 AM

It's a great SAK.  I hope you get along with it well :tu:
K-Tibbs

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #139 on: January 02, 2014, 04:05:01 PM

I bought the Explorer about an hour ago and was surprised to find out that it was not as bulky as I imagined it to be. The magnifying glass is just great   :2tu:  and so is the Philips screwdriver and the pair of scissors.

I think this model will become my first choice to carry when I'm not at home.  8)

I want go beyond a 4-layerd model though.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #140 on: January 02, 2014, 04:21:19 PM

I bought the Explorer about an hour ago and was surprised to find out that it was not as bulky as I imagined it to be. The magnifying glass is just great   :2tu:  and so is the Philips screwdriver and the pair of scissors.

I think this model will become my first choice to carry when I'm not at home.  8)

Yeah, it's not too bad for pocket carry.  There was a time when I thought it was too bulky, but I've since gotten over that due to carrying 5 layered SAKs in its place.  Now the Explorer is the smallest one I have.  What are you thinking of for a larger SAK?
K-Tibbs

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #141 on: January 02, 2014, 04:36:05 PM

Yeah, it's not too bad for pocket carry.  There was a time when I thought it was too bulky, but I've since gotten over that due to carrying 5 layered SAKs in its place.  Now the Explorer is the smallest one I have.  What are you thinking of for a larger SAK?

I already own one: the Victorinox New Soldier.

For the time being it will do, but besides the Explorer I also bought the red nylon scaled 108 mm. Victorinox Solo, just to have a nice larger blade.   8)

victorinox_solo_1_uso_1_imagen2.jpg
* victorinox_solo_1_uso_1_imagen2.jpg (Filesize: 90.54 KB)

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #142 on: January 02, 2014, 07:09:46 PM
I have a pre 83 with the grey mag glass and no hole in the awl as well as a newer model I've put plus scales on it.

Modders-Please stop taking these apart to make yeomans,  Putting a mag glass in alox scales is great but please no yeomans as the combo tool suks.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #143 on: January 02, 2014, 07:36:32 PM
I have a pre 83 with the grey mag glass and no hole in the awl as well as a newer model I've put plus scales on it.

Modders-Please stop taking these apart to make yeomans,  Putting a mag glass in alox scales is great but please no yeomans as the combo tool suks.

I've found that I agree about the combo tool now.  When I originally wanted a Yeoman, I thought the opener layer was an unnecessary layer and that the small knife blade wasn't needed either, so the Yeoman setup was perfect.  So I got a custom one made up for me, which ended up being the Yeochamp as I added a couple layers to it.  Well over time, I've discovered that I really could use the small blade, and that the opener layer has a considerable amount of misc. versatility to it.  This caused me to want to get an Explorer, and so I did.  I still really like the Yeochamp though as it is a great SAK in itself.  Those two are my faves now. 

However, a modder can't help but make one if a customer requests it...like I did :whistle:
K-Tibbs

us Offline abd1959

Reply #144 on: January 03, 2014, 09:48:52 AM
I carry a Climber daily but as the eyes age I find myself wishing for the magnifier. I may have to start carrying an Explorer, probably sooner than later.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #145 on: January 03, 2014, 11:43:12 AM
I carry a Climber daily but as the eyes age I find myself wishing for the magnifier. I may have to start carrying an Explorer, probably sooner than later.

Before I purchased my Explorer yesterday, I was somewhat critical about the magnifier, but it soon turned out to be a great tool. It should however have been fitted into a metal frame, but that's really the only minor concern as far is I can see.    ;)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #146 on: January 03, 2014, 02:01:14 PM

Before I purchased my Explorer yesterday, I was somewhat critical about the magnifier, but it soon turned out to be a great tool. It should however have been fitted into a metal frame, but that's really the only minor concern as far is I can see.    ;)

Hear Hear!!
I've been sayin' exactly the same.  :tu:

The Explorer was the first Victorinox I ever bought (still have it). It' a shame Victorinox  never added the saw to it and maybe the file too!!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #147 on: January 03, 2014, 02:16:17 PM

Hear Hear!!

The Explorer was the first Victorinox I ever bought (still have it). It' a shame Victorinox  never added the saw to it and maybe the file too!!

As for myself, I don't miss the saw, but it would have been nice if the nail file would have been engraved  on the back side of the hook as on the Compact. But again that's a strictly personal thing.

The magnifier looks somewhat cheap in a plastic frame, doesn't it? But it's a great tool nevertheless.   :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #148 on: January 03, 2014, 05:47:50 PM

Hear Hear!!

As for myself, I don't miss the saw, but it would have been nice if the nail file would have been engraved  on the back side of the hook as on the Compact. But again that's a strictly personal thing.

The magnifier looks somewhat cheap in a plastic frame, doesn't it? But it's a great tool nevertheless.   :tu:

A metal frame would be cool, and it would look more like it belonged so to speak.  As it is now, the magnifier stands out since it's not SS like the rest of the implements around it.  Minor issue though.  I too would like the metal file added, as well as the nailfile on the hook, which I have said before should be standard for all of the hooks...why it's not is beyond me.  I also like the fish scaler as a misc. type tool (don't go fishing though), and it has a ruler.  So to me, I think my ideal (beefy) SAK would be the Explorer with the fish scaler, metal file and hook nailfile added. 

The magnifier is a handy little thing :tu:  The Explorer I recently got has the old 8x glass version.  I like it, but I think I prefer the slightly larger view window of the newer version (which I have on my Yeochamp).  The only thing with that is that it's only 5x magnification, but it's probably not really a big difference, at least not from what I can tell. 
K-Tibbs

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #149 on: January 03, 2014, 06:31:26 PM
Explorer with added saw is a Woodsman, Explorer with added metal file is a Modeler.  Both retired sadly, but the Woodsman Lite gets close with adding a saw but swapping the magnifier for a LED.  :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%