Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1159 · 89100

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 08:30:25 PM
I got the same impression about the old and new Philips but I wasn't sure. Thanks Syph Double O-Seven!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 08:32:41 PM
what are those walls made of?

Those are old Belgian World War I trenches, where they replaced the original sandbags with concrete ones.  They are called "trenches of death" near the cities of Diksmuide and Ieper (famous World War I places).

You can read more about that (and some other World War I sites in Belgium) here.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 08:50:42 PM
I'm fond of the Explorer myself.  For my needs, my Yeoman is a more economical choice, but I understand the benefit of the full sized Explorer.  The next two mods I'm planning on doing are both going to be based on Explorers in fact.  One with a saw, to make a Woodsman, and another with pliers.

Are you keeping the scissors on the planned pliers mod or taking them off?
I'm planning on keeping the scissors in both mods I want to do.  I'm actually planning on using a Swiss Champ for each, and paring them down to make the aforementioned mods.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 09:10:14 PM
what are those walls made of?

Those are old Belgian World War I trenches, where they replaced the original sandbags with concrete ones.  They are called "trenches of death" near the cities of Diksmuide and Ieper (famous World War I places).

You can read more about that (and some other World War I sites in Belgium) here.

thank you :salute:

that link's cool, great pics.

i'd sure like to go there sometime 

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 09:28:42 PM
^i can see what you are saying about the openers layer, those i don't mind as much.  I just find the small blade to be a waste of a spot.

now put a file in that spot, and the explorer would be a great combo.  or electricians blade...

My thoughts exactly :tu:  If there was a nailfile in place of the small blade, I would love my Explorer even more.  I want a Yeoman though, as it's a perfect mating of my two faves, the Compact and Explorer.  Plus 3 layers is more pocketable than 4, but 4 is definitely doable, even moreso if there was a nailfile in place of the small knife ;)
K-Tibbs

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 10:31:16 PM
^i can see what you are saying about the openers layer, those i don't mind as much.  I just find the small blade to be a waste of a spot.

now put a file in that spot, and the explorer would be a great combo.  or electricians blade...

My thoughts exactly :tu:  If there was a nailfile in place of the small blade, I would love my Explorer even more.  I want a Yeoman though, as it's a perfect mating of my two faves, the Compact and Explorer.  Plus 3 layers is more pocketable than 4, but 4 is definitely doable, even moreso if there was a nailfile in place of the small knife ;)
Okay MR... just to throw you a curveball here... one of the mods I've been wanting to do is a Yeoman with a saw!  :D  Been thinking that would be the perfect hiking/backpacking/outdoors pocket SAK! 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 01:07:10 AM
But why the nailclippers when you have the SAK scissors?

I prefer fingernail cutting with the clippers.  I'll give the scissors a try and see how that goes. I'm always trying to downsize.  If I could lose the clippers, that would be good.  I've already dumped the whistle after carrying it for probably 5 years (and using it maybe once a year).

And what do you do with the marker?

Well, remember that when folks who never carry an MT starting carrying one, they start using it and decide they can't live without it.  Same thing often with flashlights and other gear - when you start carrying it, you starting using it and figure out that you "need" to carry it.  Thats the way it is with the Sharpie.  I use that sucker all of the time.  Stuff like writing names on your kids' drinks.  My light gets the most usage, but the Sharpie is second.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:08:52 AM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 07:35:12 AM

Okay MR... just to throw you a curveball here... one of the mods I've been wanting to do is a Yeoman with a saw!  :D  Been thinking that would be the perfect hiking/backpacking/outdoors pocket SAK!

Yeah, that would be a great outdoors SAK.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of having a saw on my SAK, but mainly because I also carry a full size MT and that's where I prefer my saw.  Still, if all you were carrying outdoors was a SAK, your modded version would be ideal to me as well :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 12:30:30 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

They look nice when they are new and shiny.  When they start getting banged up, I hit mine with Mother's Mag wheel polish which restores a little bit of the shine - at least temporarily.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 02:09:28 PM
My second VIC SAK (first paid for with my mney when i was 13/14) is an explorer.  It replaced my lost ranger and after not ever really using file or saw it became a better tool as the philips filled a lot of task.

To this day i have never sucessfully set fire to anything with the old glass mag  :-\

Persoanlly i would like it in a lite incarnation instead of the mag... would get way more use then!
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 12:15:35 AM
The Explorer is one of my two favorite SAK's, the other one being the Swisschamp  8).

good pics
Beautiful!   :salute:

Offline stot

Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 05:27:51 AM
I'll check in before this dies. I'm new here but I've had a Vic SAK in my pocket for about 40 years. The Explorer has the perfect tool set for me. I prefer two blades to one and I like the "real" openers better than the combo tool. Unfortunately I find 4 layers a bit too thick most of the time. Hence, my carry knife since 1996 has been a Yeoman and before that a Scientist.

Someone back a page or two asked about which was better between the old gray/glass mag and new clear plastic version. My Yeoman has a small scratch and 3 or 4 little pits on the mag gleass after carry for good while. I can only imagine what a plastic one would look like by now. Slightly less magnification might make it more versatile but surely the plastic construction more short lived. Another product enhancement!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 07:31:02 AM

... but surely the plastic construction more short lived. Another product enhancement!

or is that PROFIT enhancement?

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 08:18:24 AM
Great thread steve!!  The explorer is probably my favorite SAK.  I carry mine every day all day.  I love the toolset and I find that my explorer plus covers most of my needs to the point that in dont really need my leatherman all the time.  I have considered dropping the pliers based tool out of edc just to see if I'd miss it.  I rarely need it at home and at work I have a whole toolbox at my fingertips.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using crapatalk two point oh.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 03:31:31 PM
I'll check in before this dies. I'm new here but I've had a Vic SAK in my pocket for about 40 years. The Explorer has the perfect tool set for me. I prefer two blades to one and I like the "real" openers better than the combo tool. Unfortunately I find 4 layers a bit too thick most of the time. Hence, my carry knife since 1996 has been a Yeoman and before that a Scientist.

Same story for me (except the 40 years part) in that the Explorer is nearly perfect for me, with the exception of the 4 layer thickness.  I find it doable, but not ideal.  I think 3 layers is my max, and a Yeoman would be perfect for me.  I have the Compact as well, and the Yeoman is just adding the magnifier/phillips layer to it.  I would like to have my Compact and Explorer modded to create a Yeoman as they are just about impossible to find nowadays.
K-Tibbs

tr Offline TurkTeen

• Meet The Youngster: 13 Years Old and SAK Collector
Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 04:34:00 PM
Well, it isn't available in my country, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. I think what it misses from being perfect is a light, but thinking I can get that externally(although I would like having EVERYTHING I need in a single SAK(magnifier, LED, Phillips, openers/combo tool, scissors, pen optionally small blade) that is impossible, but Yeoman and Explorer get VERY close, alongside Cybertool Lite(cheaper one of the two SAKs that have both the LED and the magnifier, the other being swisschamp XAVT- Vic's largest SAK yet.)
I cannot mod.
I cannot trade.
But I can collect.

You have not felt real pain until you have used Tapatalk on a Blackberry...

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 11:50:45 PM
After years of hoarding it unused, I pulled out of my arsenal today a Swissbianco Yeoman Plus wearing yellow scales.  Completely shiny and virginous.  I can't remember why I was not using it, so now its my new EDC.  As much as like the Explorer, the Yeoman is 3 layers, combines the Explorer's can and bottle openers into the one multi purpose tool, and loses the small blade and awl.  Its even more awesomer than the Explorer, though of course I can't be completely satisfied and would like to see an awl instead of the hook.  But overall it provides the functionality of the Explorer Plus but at 3 layers.  Why on earth Victorinox does not mass produce this flavor is beyond me.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 12:00:24 AM
Why on earth Victorinox does not mass produce this flavor is beyond me.

Because then people would only buy a yeoman, instead of an explorer and a compact! :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:35:36 AM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 12:01:12 AM
Thats 100% true, Syph.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #49 on: February 12, 2013, 05:53:16 AM
Syph is correct and it aggravates me that I can't have a Yeoman without having someone make it for me.  The Compact is near perfect for me, as is the Explorer, so naturally the Yeoman would be my ideal SAK.  It's just frustrating that I can't simply buy one. 
K-Tibbs

Offline stot

Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 07:45:27 AM
Syph is correct and it aggravates me that I can't have a Yeoman without having someone make it for me.  The Compact is near perfect for me, as is the Explorer, so naturally the Yeoman would be my ideal SAK.  It's just frustrating that I can't simply buy one. 

I watched two Yeomans sell on EBay in the last month, so they're around. It would be more fun to make one. I tore down a tinker and used the phillips to make an apprentice.(Baby steps) Next I'll remove some bent scissors from an Explorer to make my Passenger. This might be as good a carry knife as the Yeoman. I plan to carry one for a while and see how much I miss the scissors. If all that goes well I'll turn my Compact into a Scientist. I carried one years ago and liked it. I picked up a couple of new Scientists 10 or so years ago but they seem to be so valuable on Ebay now I think I make one for my own use. It wouldn't be as much fun if you could just go down to the store and buy one?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 02:45:17 PM

I watched two Yeomans sell on EBay in the last month, so they're around. It would be more fun to make one. I tore down a tinker and used the phillips to make an apprentice.(Baby steps) Next I'll remove some bent scissors from an Explorer to make my Passenger. This might be as good a carry knife as the Yeoman. I plan to carry one for a while and see how much I miss the scissors. If all that goes well I'll turn my Compact into a Scientist. I carried one years ago and liked it. I picked up a couple of new Scientists 10 or so years ago but they seem to be so valuable on Ebay now I think I make one for my own use. It wouldn't be as much fun if you could just go down to the store and buy one?

I watch ebay as often as I can, but I have never seen one.  Any time I've used "Yeoman" as my search, I don't get any actual Yeomans.  I know the search and anticipation, etc. is fun, but I don't have enough time or money to spend searching/getting one.  I also can't mod either, which is something I would love to get into eventually, when I can afford the necessary equipment, and find space for it.  If I could mod, then I could make one myself from my Compact and Explorer.  If I was brave, I would attempt to take them apart, but I don't want to risk ruining them in the process, and it doesn't help that I really wouldn't know what I was doing ::)
K-Tibbs

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 03:44:31 PM
buy a beater 3 or 4 layer sak for a few dollars. make it into a 2 layer or 1 layer. Rinse repeat.  :whistle:
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 05:23:08 PM
buy a beater 3 or 4 layer sak for a few dollars. make it into a 2 layer or 1 layer. Rinse repeat.  :whistle:

Good suggestion :tu:  The thing is, I have no equipment with which to experiment.  Is there anything I really need to have to try this, or can mods be done without anything special?
K-Tibbs

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 06:16:06 PM

Good suggestion :tu:  The thing is, I have no equipment with which to experiment.  Is there anything I really need to have to try this, or can mods be done without anything special?

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail"  :D

You really do not need much tools or space to get started. Check out the Mod Squad for everything you need to know.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 08:12:34 PM

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail"   :D

You really do not need much tools or space to get started. Check out the Mod Squad for everything you need to know.

Love that line :tu:  Thanks for the suggestion :salute:
K-Tibbs

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 08:15:01 PM

My Yeoman was my first, and so far only, mod.  I'm planning on making more though.   :tu:

I didn't have any special equipment, and found I only needed a very minor investment in tools.  I already had a bench vise with an anvil on it, so if you don't have something like that, I think it would be a good idea to get one, though you could probably do without it.  I also bought a center punch for making divots in the ends of the pins to help with drilling them out, and a set of small pin punches for knocking out the pins once I had drilled the peen out of the bushing.  I used a hand-drill, and I'm sure I could have gotten better results if I had a drill-press, but it wasn't necessary.  I also bought a small jeweler's hammer to use for peening the new pins. 

I took apart a Compact and an old Explorer to make my Yeoman.  While I did end up mismatching the blade and the side plate when I put it back together (there's an annoying bit of side to side play in the blade as a result), it was a very enlightening and rewarding experience.   :tu:  Definitely took me out of my comfort zone, and really forced me to think back and remember what I learned in a semester of machine shop in high school.  But, I'm glad I did it, and am looking forward to making more mods in the future, once I can afford to buy appropriate donors.   :whistle:

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 08:16:51 PM

i agree. for what you'd end up paying for a real yeoman it just doesn't to make sense to use it as edc when you can buy a used explorer and a bantam.  I feel terrible tearing apart a perfectly good compact just for the combo tool and suggest the using the bantams.

there really aren't that many tools needed to do these mods.  the sticky threads on the top of the mod section do a great job explaining it.

Offline stot

Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 08:28:37 PM
We started out loving Explorers and now we're tearing them apart to make stuff out of them. I guess that's still loving em.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 08:35:26 PM

i agree. for what you'd end up paying for a real yeoman it just doesn't to make sense to use it as edc when you can buy a used explorer and a bantam.  I feel terrible tearing apart a perfectly good compact just for the combo tool and suggest the using the bantams.

there really aren't that many tools needed to do these mods.  the sticky threads on the top of the mod section do a great job explaining it.

Oh...I was under the impression that the Yeoman was basically a Compact with the mag/phillips layer added.  I was hoping to just remove that layer from my Explorer and add it to my Compact.  I'm probably severely over-simplifying it though :shrug:
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD