Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 89802

us Offline rivercity

Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #480 on: June 05, 2017, 04:50:01 PM
Thanks guys!  :cheers:
Chuck

"Well, when it comes down to me against a situation, I don't like the situation to win." ~ MacGyver

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #481 on: June 05, 2017, 05:12:36 PM
I dream of an 84mm Explorer Plus  :dd:.  In the mean time my Explorer Plus is one of my most favorites.  When I got it nearly all other SAKs were relegated to the sideline.  That mag glass and inline phillips are lovely.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #482 on: June 05, 2017, 09:25:25 PM
I dream of an 84mm Explorer Plus  :dd:.  In the mean time my Explorer Plus is one of my most favorites.  When I got it nearly all other SAKs were relegated to the sideline.  That mag glass and inline phillips are lovely.

I know what you mean about the Explorer taking center stage and sidelining the other SAKs.  :)

I was bitten by the Explorer bug and purchased several (don't know how many but it is north of 15).  I loved the magnifier & inline Philips and if I carried a second SAK, it was as a secondary SAK. For example, I would have an Explorer in my right front pocket and a CyberTool in the left. 

I showed an Explorer with the grey-framed magnifier to my wife shortly after Christmas and she thanked me for it (how do they do that?) and placed it on a two-tier wooden organizer she keeps in the kitchen.  She uses it quite often but doesn't like the glue residue that is hard for her to remove after opening packages (I have become responsible for putting it back in pristine condition).  I promoted an old Spartan for her package opening convenience and added a Tinker for my use.  This worked out so well, that I have been caching SAKs in strategic places throughout the house for my convenience.  Although I keep several Explorers on a table near my recliner, I have managed to incorporate various other SAKs into my daily use including some very nice alox models. 

The Explorer still has a lock on center stage but I am now enjoying the other models as well.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:33:01 PM by NorCalJim »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #483 on: June 06, 2017, 03:04:09 PM
 :like: Me too Aloha!!!
Barry

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #484 on: June 06, 2017, 05:21:05 PM

+1  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #485 on: June 06, 2017, 08:20:17 PM

+1  :cheers:

I don't dream about Swiss Army Knives. I dream about Smurfette!
Smurfette_with_cake.jpg
* Smurfette_with_cake.jpg (Filesize: 104.27 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #486 on: June 07, 2017, 03:18:31 PM
only real thing the Spirit lacks!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #487 on: June 08, 2017, 03:13:26 PM
more love, so lovely it is!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #488 on: June 09, 2017, 03:20:30 AM
 :like:
Barry

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #489 on: July 03, 2017, 06:53:25 AM
The Explorer is one of my two favorite SAK's, the other one being the Swisschamp  8).

(Image removed from quote.)

I've got a Swiss Champ and a Huntsman BSA (Phillips sd instead of the corkscrew) but I also have an Explorer on the way. The Swiss Champ has pretty much everything I need but when I want pocket carry capability, I think the Explorer is going to get the nod. I suppose I can upgrade the scales on the Explorer if needed but I don't think I will need to.

The Swiss Champ sits in the pouch on my belt for most EDC. But again, when I need a slimmer, equally capable SAK, the Explorer will suit me well.

Does the regular Explorer model have a slot for the pin? Or does that require the extra scales? In looking at my SC, I imagine the new scales are required. Where does one order the upgraded scales?
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #490 on: July 03, 2017, 06:55:06 AM
I'm fond of the Explorer myself.  For my needs, my Yeoman is a more economical choice, but I understand the benefit of the full sized Explorer.  The next two mods I'm planning on doing are both going to be based on Explorers in fact.  One with a saw, to make a Woodsman, and another with pliers.

Are you keeping the scissors on the planned pliers mod or taking them off?

I'm new to the idea of modifying a SAK. How does one go about adding something like the pliers?

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #491 on: July 03, 2017, 07:01:38 AM
Well, it isn't available in my country, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. I think what it misses from being perfect is a light, but thinking I can get that externally(although I would like having EVERYTHING I need in a single SAK(magnifier, LED, Phillips, openers/combo tool, scissors, pen optionally small blade) that is impossible, but Yeoman and Explorer get VERY close, alongside Cybertool Lite(cheaper one of the two SAKs that have both the LED and the magnifier, the other being swisschamp XAVT- Vic's largest SAK yet.)

This post made me consider the addition of a light and it occurs to me that a simple key chain flashlight could be attached to the SAK key ring. I'd never thought about this before (probably just me). There are so many good options for key ring lights now, including micro USB rechargeable. I may give it a shot for my travel EDC SAK.

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #492 on: July 03, 2017, 07:07:12 AM
I received a clip to attach to my Explorer's keyring for better pocket carry.  I am happy to say that it works like a charm and makes the Explorer much less noticeable and uncomfortable to pocket carry.  So now I appreciate my Explorer even more :tu: :D

I realize this is an older thread, but can you please post pictures of the clip you have? I'd be interested in seeing clip options for pocket carry.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #493 on: July 03, 2017, 07:25:41 AM
I'm fond of the Explorer myself.  For my needs, my Yeoman is a more economical choice, but I understand the benefit of the full sized Explorer.  The next two mods I'm planning on doing are both going to be based on Explorers in fact.  One with a saw, to make a Woodsman, and another with pliers.

I'm new to the idea of modifying a SAK. How does one go about adding something like the pliers?

Well worth the pages and pages of what he's come from to.  Incredible work he's producing. 
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34772.0.html
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #494 on: July 03, 2017, 07:26:57 AM

Thank you!

Well worth the pages and pages of what he's come from to.  Incredible work he's producing. 
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34772.0.html

Thank you!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #495 on: July 03, 2017, 07:30:53 AM

Don't feel bad, I'm an avid collector and still don't have a mod.  If I was going to ... it would probably be the very simple but difficult task of putting Vic can opener in an old school Wenger Traveler... 
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #496 on: July 03, 2017, 11:14:54 AM
The Explorer is one of my two favorite SAK's, the other one being the Swisschamp  8).

I've got a Swiss Champ and a Huntsman BSA (Phillips sd instead of the corkscrew) but I also have an Explorer on the way. The Swiss Champ has pretty much everything I need but when I want pocket carry capability, I think the Explorer is going to get the nod. I suppose I can upgrade the scales on the Explorer if needed but I don't think I will need to.

The Swiss Champ sits in the pouch on my belt for most EDC. But again, when I need a slimmer, equally capable SAK, the Explorer will suit me well.

Does the regular Explorer model have a slot for the pin? Or does that require the extra scales? In looking at my SC, I imagine the new scales are required. Where does one order the upgraded scales?
As far as I know, new regular scales have the pin hole. My Hiker(a smaller model) had it when I bought it new on amazon 2015. I don't see why it would be different.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #497 on: July 03, 2017, 01:59:42 PM

As far as I know, new regular scales have the pin hole. My Hiker(a smaller model) had it when I bought it new on amazon 2015. I don't see why it would be different.  :think:

Quite right, all the new scales have the pin hole these days.  You'll need to add your own pin though.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #498 on: July 03, 2017, 02:42:52 PM
Since Photobucket decided to stop linking my pics   :twak:, here is a repost of them via Imgur.   :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #499 on: July 03, 2017, 03:50:48 PM
Nice collection!!  I've only one, but I like 👍it!!
IMG_20170703_095004_hdr.jpg
* IMG_20170703_095004_hdr.jpg (Filesize: 254.87 KB)
Barry

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #500 on: July 03, 2017, 04:31:22 PM
Powernoodle speSmurfpillses in pictures that make his SAK collection seem twice as large.  :whistle:
 :rofl:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #501 on: July 03, 2017, 04:59:37 PM
 :tu: :rofl:
Barry

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #502 on: July 04, 2017, 02:51:28 AM
My Explorer arrived today- it's always exciting to get a new SAK, especially when it's one you know will be in the EDC rotation!

Beautiful little toolbox of course- nice, crisp in and out of the tools and the magnifier is magnificent. Seems clearer and slightly more resolution than my Swiss Champ but that's probably just because it's fresh out of the box. If this post allows, I'll post a side by side with my Huntsman BSA which is about the same except the Huntsman has a saw and Phillips combo and the Explorer has the magnifier and corkscrew. I've got the micro screwdriver coming later this week for the corkscrew.

I may get the Plus scales for this Explorer but we'll see. 
IMG_1770.JPG
* IMG_1770.JPG (Filesize: 239.78 KB)

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #503 on: July 04, 2017, 02:53:14 AM
Side by side with the Huntsman BSA.

• Anyone know why the images show sideways? They are formatted properly when I attach.  :rant:
IMG_1771.JPG
* IMG_1771.JPG (Filesize: 158.96 KB)
FullSizeRender-22.jpg
* FullSizeRender-22.jpg (Filesize: 181.71 KB)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:54:24 AM by fivesense »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #504 on: July 04, 2017, 05:42:55 AM
My Explorer arrived today- it's always exciting to get a new SAK, especially when it's one you know will be in the EDC rotation!

Beautiful little toolbox of course- nice, crisp in and out of the tools and the magnifier is magnificent. Seems clearer and slightly more resolution than my Swiss Champ but that's probably just because it's fresh out of the box. If this post allows, I'll post a side by side with my Huntsman BSA which is about the same except the Huntsman has a saw and Phillips combo and the Explorer has the magnifier and corkscrew. I've got the micro screwdriver coming later this week for the corkscrew.

Does it have the hole in the scales for the pin?  It should since it looks like a newer model.  I wouldn't upgrade it to the Plus scales unless you NEED or WANT the pen or the scales are in bad shape, which they don't look like!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #505 on: July 04, 2017, 05:58:12 AM
 :like: You're going to love the Explorer!!
Barry

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #506 on: July 04, 2017, 06:23:57 AM

Does it have the hole in the scales for the pin?  It should since it looks like a newer model.  I wouldn't upgrade it to the Plus scales unless you NEED or WANT the pen or the scales are in bad shape, which they don't look like!

The new Explorer does indeed have the pin hole. Changing scales is not the highest priority but simply like the look of the translucent ruby scales.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #507 on: July 04, 2017, 09:29:15 AM
Excellent choice. I think plus scales are top-notch.  :tu:  :cheers:
dddddd.jpg
* dddddd.jpg (Filesize: 108.94 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #508 on: July 04, 2017, 10:59:24 AM

For your information, there are two versions of the new large magnifier. One with a plastic lens and a newer one with a glass lens. That might account for the difference that you perceive?
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Magnifying+Glass

All hail the hook!

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #509 on: July 05, 2017, 03:48:25 AM

For your information, there are two versions of the new large magnifier. One with a plastic lens and a newer one with a glass lens. That might account for the difference that you perceive?
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Magnifying+Glass

Thank you for sharing this information. Here's the key info- "In 2012 Victorinox changed the Magnifier to use a glass lens with a 6x magnification while retaining the clear plastic housing."

I'd previously contacted Victorinox USA for this information and it was a bit disconcerting that they didn't know this. Oh well- I know where to go for my SAK questions- here and SAKWIKI!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%